XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Whats best battery maintainer

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 10:50 PM
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Whats best battery maintainer

Gentlemen: with the world crisis continuing and my XJ sitting for weeks on end, I find it necessary to purchase a battery maintainer. I recall reading some threads, but do not recall the recommended brand. I recall that it comes complete with leads to connect to the battery and a convenient connector to run up into the trunk. Please advise what that best brand was or reference me to the thread. thank you.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:05 PM

Stuart S. I just read your post on the installation of the CTEK 8 stage charger/maintainer. Thank you.
Any comments good or bad re this brand from other forum members?

Old 04-05-2020, 04:06 AM
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Freddy J
Stuart S. I just read your post on the installation of the CTEK 8 stage charger/maintainer. Thank you.
I have one ctek 8 which I use mainly on the XK, with permanent quick-plug wire installed, and a me-too bought on AliExpress for 5 times less(the yellow/black one with ca. 3400 buyers / 4.8 stars, branded foxsur) which I use as a back up on other cars.

Clamps are low quality on the AliExpress one, but both seem to go the same job... a Russian technician checked on a video with a spectro that the Chinese one was doing a regular pulse repair and did recognize and adapt to AGM.

But as a precaution, as these are not certified properly, I would not let the AliExpress one plugged in as a maintainer for several days/weeks and do use it mostly on batteries that are out of their car...

Old 04-06-2020, 07:16 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Another vote for the Ctek. Does what it says on the box.

Old 04-07-2020, 01:48 AM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

just get a CTEK,

most regulars here will all tell you the same.
If you are going to rely on a maintainer, you best get a good one that will not burn your house and car to the ground due to failure while you are sleeping.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:48 PM
Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

I've got the CTEK 5.0. It has performed satisfactorily. Most of us stateside have these plugged into a GFCI outlet in our garage. These can be easily tripped, and a cheap battery maintainer will quickly drain the car battery. The CTEK 5.0 has a back current drain of only 1.5Ah per month. This is especially important if your car is stored at a remote location. My only complaint with the product is the very stiff power cord. You may have to enlarge the eyelets on the permanent-mount cable. If you're going this route, get a pair of felt anti-corrosion washers to install at the same time.

Last edited by Baltobernie; 04-07-2020 at 03:56 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-08-2020, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,325 Likes on 3,466 Posts

Originally Posted by Freddy J
Here's the link to my old thread if you're interested in how I hooked it up.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lation-130801/

Old 04-08-2020, 12:31 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

I have been using ctek conditioners for 10 years now, during this corona time I have four vehicles hooked up as I only need access to one vehicle at the moment

Old 04-09-2020, 04:23 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

This is how I've hard-wired the Ctek connector to the battery for when it's needed:

+ve straight onto the battery terminal

-ve onto adjacent screwed stud

Ctek lead

Old 04-13-2020, 12:06 AM

Gentlemen, I thank you for your recommendations. I purchased the CTEK mxs 5.0 . It is the latest 8 step charger/maintainer upgraded with temperature compensation.
I have successfully charged my XJ's AGM battery and notice that the charger has remained on step 7 " float" for three days now. When does the step 8 "pulse" light for battery maintenance come on? Does it only come on when the pulse stage is functioning and then go off?

Old 04-13-2020, 08:06 AM

It took mine two weeks before pulsing. The pulse LED remained on until I disconnected the charger.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery Charger and Maintainer

Greetings:

With the pandemic I had to leave a car in Florida in a garage and head back to Canada. After 4 weeks, a friend tried to start the car and found the battery dead with only the red light on. I checked with my local mechanic and because of his skeletal crew he suggested that I simply leave it and he will address it in about 4-6 weeks when hopefully border restrictions will be lifted. Today I purchased a CTEK 56-353 multi US 7002 charger/maintainer which is to be delivered to my friend in Florida. Without a lot of mechanical knowledge about my Jaguar 2012 XJ, is the installation simply to install the 2 battery rings and connect to the charger? Your thoughts would be appreciated because he thinks he doesn't feel qualified to do it.

Murphman

Old 04-21-2020, 09:49 PM

Why not have him simply connect the charger with the alligator clips included with the unit? Using this method, he won't have to perform any mechanical activity, and is less likely to short-circuit the battery with an errant wrench or screwdriver. The included manual is very well-written, and if you download a copy for yourself, you should be able to resolve any issues over the phone.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:54 PM

Great suggestion using the alligator clips which come with the product. Thanks.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:35 PM

Murphman, the connection is quite simple and requires no tools. Above all, have your friend read the safety precautions and familiarize himself and you with the manual.
It is straightforward. Then have your friend open the trunk and lift the floor exposing the battery in the spare tire compartment. The charger comes with two connection methods. One is intended to be permanent with eyelet connectors on the leads. The other is simple and efficient to use with excellent alligator clips to simply squeeze and clamp onto posts and bolts . First, clamp the red clip to the positive (red) battery terminal. Second, clamp the black clip or negative lead to any body bolt or stud in the vicinity of the battery but not on the battery. The easiest is where the black cable from the battery bolts to the body. The "comfort connect" connector at the other end of the alligator clips can be brought out to the edge of the compartment and the floor put back down leaving the connector now accessible in the trunk compartment. Connect the convenient in line "comfort connect" plug to it's mate from the charger. Leave the charger outside the vehicle with bottom down and horizontal. Plug into an AC wall socket last. Mind using a heavy duty extension cord if you need one. (The manual will give you a guide for wire guage.) No lamp cords! Reverse this process when disconnecting.

Last, have your friend set the appropriate mode on the charger by pressing the mode button. The various modes are sequenced on the charger and are indicated by lights as the mode button is pressed. Do you know if your year XJ has an AGM battery? The charging voltage is higher on an AGM (14.7volts vs 14.4 volts) and the charger will need to have the appropriate mode set. It may be the snowflake on the display for an AGM, The manual will tell you this. Have your friend on the phone with you as you go through the instruction manual with him to make sure the settings are correct for your battery. Once its set up, you can leave it. If your discharged battery fails to charge, the CTEK will tell you as well.
My CTEK is the MXS 5.0 but the connection to the vehicle is the same. You have a higher current model.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:38 AM

Hi Freddy J:

Thank you for the detailed instructions which I intend to follow. It may be up to a couple of weeks before the CTEK is delivered. Will waiting for delivery, would you keep the car locked which minimizes the current through the car and run the risk that it becomes completely dead making it difficult to open the car and trunk. The alternative is to keep the car unlocked with the trunk open slightly for easy access. I am inclined to keep the car open since it is in a garage.

Again, many thanks.

Murphman

Old 04-22-2020, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,325 Likes on 3,466 Posts

Murphman,

You didn't read the link in my Post #7, above. If you had read it, you wouldn't have had any questions about using the alligator clips to install your CTEK, as it includes detailed instructions with photos. Here's that link again:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lation-130801/

Your battery is already dead, so there's no harm in leaving the trunk unlocked and open while in your garage.

Your 2012 XJ does not have the Stop- Start feature, so just disregard the comments about it.

Stuart

Old 04-22-2020, 12:09 PM

Thanks, Stuart. Instructions are welcomed and will be initiated.

Murphman

Old 04-22-2020, 12:32 PM

Murphman, I second what Stuart S has posted. His photos and thread helped me. However, your friend might not be adept at navigating to the photos. Hence, I tried to give detailed written instructions for his benefit.

Leave the car open including the trunk. If the light in the trunk goes on and it might if there's some juice left, it will shut off.
I leave my car open and the smart key in it while it's in the garage contrary to recommendations to lock it and remove the key. My car has sat for three to four weeks in the garage while I was in FL and started fine upon my return. Similarly, the same was true when I left it locked at the airport for three weeks. But there's no question, the battery is needing a charge after that amount of time.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:34 PM

Freddy J, I think my friend was nervous about the electronics and being responsible (which he isn't) in the event of damage. Today, the car was left open and the trunk slightly opened. The plan is when the CTEK arrives to have AAA present with my friend and attempt to jump start and then connect the CTEK. I am hopeful that plan will work so I can have the Jag ready when the border opens and I can head south. Instructions were greatly appreciated.

Murphman

Quick Reply: Whats best battery maintainer