XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Whirring humming sound from front end when turning full right at slow speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Whirring humming sound from front end when turning full right at slow speed

I'm starting to get a whirring/humming sound when turning the steering a fair amount to the right and driving at around 10mph

I read up and people said it could be the PS fluid old or low, or the differential fluid old or low. Some say it could be the wheel bearing itself on the way out and need changing.

Where can I check both those fluid levels?

Are they hard/easy to drain and top up?

Old 05-10-2017, 03:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have an Owners Manual; it should be listed in Power steering fluid level or something like that.
If no Manual: Check this site...you did not list your model and vintage but thay are all similar. https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2...luid/add_fluid
To Check a Wheel Bearing:
jack up the car
Spin the wheel while listening very closely
It should be quiet....if you have a growl or roughness, you MAY have a bearing problem.
If you are not sure what you are hearing, Jack up the opposite side and repeat the process....if they are different...that is somewhat telling.
While you have the wheel jacked up: pull the bottom of the tire toward you while pushing the top of the tire away from you...revers top and bottom rocking....you are looking for slack...there should be none (or almost indiscernible).
There MAY be several other reasons for a whirring/humming sound but start here.
Let me know.
Ron

Old 05-10-2017, 05:26 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I had a wheel bearing replaced with the same noise last month. At highway speeds it was really bad. May want to check that out.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:59 AM

Thanks guys, Just checked the power steering fluid reservoir after the engine had warmed up, it was below minimum, so im guessing this could be it.

Does anyone recommend any specific brand to top it up or can you use any? I'll check the manual too

Also should it be drained?

Old 05-11-2017, 12:04 PM

No need to drain it: It is very important to use only the specific fluid specified by Jaguar.......the brand name is not important but I would not buy some off the wall generic. Any of the major brands will be fine. Good Luck
Ron

Old 05-12-2017, 12:04 PM

Think I will have to drain it as its gone black (might be the fact its gone thicker that its dropped below the MIN amount). Got a cheap siphon/tube off ebay to pull it out, to be delivered next week! Then will replace with official PAS fluid from the manufacturer book (Mobil ATF 320)

Old 05-12-2017, 01:23 PM

Always err on the side of caution. I agree, if it smells bad or looks bad, change it. I am glad that you seem to have our problem solved.
Ron