XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

who still has roof popping issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RippedPuma
Assuming you don't fall asleep and perish in a fireball, that is.
LMAO! I partially agree with this, because on the freeway where the concrete or asphalt is a little more grainy, there is this far away white noise that surrounds you and really can get you to snooze. It's great if you have kids, they all fall asleep. In city driving though, it's awesome because you feel like you're being 'protected' by the car, against the 'other world out there'...

Old 08-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sill noises and even had a cracked rear window

I have taken my car several times for these noise issues. I now have 12,000 miles and they still can't fix it. The noises go away and then come back.
Also, one I got a sun roof jam. Got stuck in open position. Finally about 1.5 month ago I got a cracked rear windshield (it cracked by itself from the outside in)
The issue seems excess torque on the roof structure. I have a long wheel base and that might be a contributing factor. Also, I have a low VIN.

I am trying to get jaguar to buy back the car. I have an appt with the regional rep on 9/26. I am done with this piece of $80k crap. I miss my Audi A8

Old 09-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Ive had my car replaced for a plethora of reasons, none of which were the roof popping. My new car... pops, rattles, moans pretty much any time I go over a bump bigger than 1". At first I thought, "I'll just ignore it"... but it's gotten worse and very loud. So loud that people in the car ask me 'what that noise was'. It's annoying.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cbras,
Did they fix your roof yet?

Old 09-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No I have given up

Old 09-08-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by cbras9
No I have given up
did you get rid of it?

Old 09-08-2011, 02:28 PM

still have popping, got a little worse, especially when going over a driveway. . also have squeaking/creaking in right front corner dash

Old 09-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was just at the jaguar dealer today replacing a right rear tire which I managed to get a metal rod through the bottom of the tire and out the sidewall, and while I was there they performed a Cluster reconfiguration software update which as far as I can tell adds more graphics to the cluster and they also replaced the center console lid latch button for some reason.

Even though I have never had the roof popping issue, I was curious and asked the service advisor about it and he told me that there is a new kit from jaguar arriving next week that supposedly fixes it once and for all.

One rear tire costs $365.00 at the dealer by the way. I thought it was expensive but looked on tire rack and they had it for the same price so I couldn't complain too much.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:01 AM

Is there an SR to reference for the cluster reconfiguration? Can you provide any more details (is it noticeable) on what this update provides?

Old 09-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is there any place to sign up with Jaguar where they notify of updates? Or is that an assumed function of the dealer?

Old 09-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Is there an SR to reference for the cluster reconfiguration? Can you provide any more details (is it noticeable) on what this update provides?
J020 (Instrument Cluster Configuration) is one of the "Update Prior To Sale" notices. Should have been performed before you bought your car but dealers are catching these as customers bring in their cars for one thing or another.

The updated IP configuration swaps out certain "telltale" icons for words with additional information presented in the message center (should there be an issue). Most noticeable, the warning telltales for the braking system should now display the word "BRAKE" (amber and red) instead of the graphical depiction of a brake. If you still see the graphical icons during the self-check at start-up, then J020 hasn't been performed.

The following 2 users liked this post by Diablo:
Dochands (09-11-2011), pjardieu (09-15-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Pop is back! At the shop now.

Hi,
well unfortunately I am sharing that the roof pop has returned. Although its a different one now. Different sounding and on the front edge. Before it was in the back. Also some on the center. So here we go.

Well,
here, too. After several months of NO noise from the roof, it started up again. This time a different pop more at front frame. Dealer already confirmed that there is a new TSB out. They also finally admitted to me that this is a problem on that car and the one which gives them the most trouble on a dealer / customer relationship level.
Dealership even has identified its best own dedicated "test twist pop" spot. Well, that alone speaks volumes.
Tech says, that simply new problems are developing as you go and so you new TSB hopefully addressing the new problems. Good thing is, Jaguar is painfully aware of it appears has put some resources on this matter to fix the problem for existing and new owners.
Car had to go for its first annual service anyways. So I will keep you posted. Otherwise I must say I still love the car.

And yes, I also own a CLS and I still like my XJ better. Just my personal opinion.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:35 PM

My dealer says it's a new kit from Britain will be in USA mid oct

Old 09-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm waiting for the new kit JCamp says is coming. These roof pops have been going on for a year. You can't tell me that Jaguar is releasing the 2012 without this being fixed. It sounds like the rear glass is shifting from one side to the next depending on which way you hit the "dreaded" incline. I'm still a lover and not a hater though. It doesn't happen that often. I can't wait to hear from the 2012 owners to see if they have the problem. It may not show up for a few months though. Mine started at 5,000 miles.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:48 PM

My pops are coming from all over

Old 09-15-2011, 12:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's interesting to me that a few of you also have previously owned the Lexus LS. I personally owned two of them as well just before my 2011 XJ purchase. Both of mine were the Ultra version, but only the last one had issues. A LOT of issues.

That LS Ultra was a 2005 model year which, according to JD Powers, was the first time any manufacturer had built a car with less than 100 defects per 100 vehicles. I, however, had significant suspension height problems right out of the box with that car which the dealership could not fix for over 9 months and even then only after I sent them a copy of my Lemon Law letter! Then came a fading brake pedal problem that was never fixed at all, two failed rear struts, and a bad water pump. I did eventually put 160,000 miles on that one, but dumped it when the transmission started acting "funny".

I have had roof pop issues with the XJ, but my Jaguar dealership continued to work on the problem until it was fixed - for now at least. I suspect that these roof noises might return when the weather gets cooler here in Baltimore. I also have had a driver's side door-to-dash squeak, but I have found the offfending body seam myself and have wedged a small piece of plastic in there to stop that noise completely.

Right now this Cat is perrrrrrrrfect!

Old 09-15-2011, 11:56 AM

Jd power ranked jag at like number 6 not good

Old 09-16-2011, 03:51 PM

Please someone make me a offer for my 2011 xjl sc 3500 miles

Old 09-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cbras9
Please someone make me a offer for my 2011 xjl sc 3500 miles
Cbras9 if you don't like your car anymore or just can't deal with the problems just trade it in for something else like others have done, you'll probably end up taking a monetary hit but there is no price for happiness in my opinion.

I don't think you'll have much luck trying to sell your car on a forum to people who already have the car.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't take it any more. My car sounds like a ****ing pop corn machine. It's a piece of crap.

Quick Reply: who still has roof popping issues?