XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Why, oh why...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:51 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Why, oh why...

1 - can't I download custom skins for my XJ dash? It's just a video screen - the information could be presented in a million different ways. How about white dials, or all digital, or.....

2 - is the key fob so big and heavy? It weighs more than my iphone, which does a lot more. It'd be so much more convenient if it was smaller.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

1 - You cannot customize the displays what you see is what you get and it is not up gradable, to the best of my knowledge.
2 - Starting in 2013 they moved to a smaller lighter fob that is used by Land Rover. I am not sure weather the new fob can be added to 2012 and earlier XJs

Attached Thumbnails Why, oh why...-img_0603.jpg   Why, oh why...-img_0605.jpg  
Old 01-05-2016, 09:44 AM
Received 335 Likes on 201 Posts

I have a 2007 Key fob and it doesn't seem big or heavy.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
Starting in 2013 they moved to a smaller lighter fob that is used by Land Rover. I am not sure weather the new fob can be added to 2012 and earlier XJs
I was told by my local service department that they were replacing the earlier X351 fobs with the current ones if they developed faults, which suggests that they are very likely to be compatible. All the new ones I've seen though are different to the one you picture. They don't have the silver Jaguar logo and writing on the body, only on the silver part. Where did you get yours?

Old 01-06-2016, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

My XJ was delivered with the old style and they then had a campaign to replace the old style with the new so mine are "first edition" and may have the Jaguar logo on the plastic and current ones on the silver as the same fob is used on Land Rover. So in the name of cost considerations they can produce one fob for all and differentiate between the two lines by just a different silver slide, also, cuts down on dealer inventory IMHO. In my case as I had special ordered my XJ from one dealer and the franchise was changed before my delivery I was in close contact with the Market Manager they allowed me to keep the old fob and not have to return them for warranty reimbursment.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,564 Likes on 3,968 Posts

I think the overall answer is that many car makers are having a tough time getting used to (*) the pace of tech changes.

Look at how Ford think apps on their SYNC should be and how they "help" app developers... and Ford are by no means the worst.

(*) or having much clue at all about

I wouldn't myself care about skins for the dash as I almost entirely look at things outside the car - the road etc! - but it's a fair question even so.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just continuing this rant.....

I got a 2016 XF as a loaner yesterday, and was playing with the infotainment system and had some good, and bad, thoughts.

Good - the quality of the screen is so much better than my 2012 XJ - very high resolution.
WTF - the air vents close when you turn the car off and open when you start it. Why? Who is ever going to see them closed? I have some sort of ventilation going 100% of the time, so they will always be open. And I will never sit in the car when it is off admiring the smooth dash, unmarred by air vents.
Bad - However, as I dug into the menus, I came across "Display". Under display, there was ONE option - brightness. Why have a menu option that only has one sub menu option? Just move it up one level and save me time. It reminds me of the dashboard options on my XJ - dig down to display and there is one sub menu - Flashlight Mode.

So, a better question is why only one option? Was that all the engineers could think of? They are given a computer and a computer screen - the sky's the limit!

Here are options I came up with (for the XJ ) -

1 - when dynamic mode is activated, move the tach to the middle of the dash.
2 - have different styles of dials - all digital, bar graphs, black on white dials, more dials instead of idiot lights, different fonts, etc.
3 - allow custom color schemes to match the car, make night time driving easier on the eyes, etc.
4 - the ability to change the background to match the wood trim, or a picture matched to the part of the country you are traveling through, or a picture of your dog. My iphone does this, but not a $100k car?
5 - the ability to upgrade components - processors and screens are cheap. The unit in the car is not.
6 - free upgrades for nav system. Garmin's upgrades are free. Google maps updates on the iphone are free. Jag charges $300?
7 - most of these options could also be applied to the infotainment screen too. I can't even see the entire name of the song playing because the interface is so poorly designed.
8 - I'm sure there are a lot of other options we could come up with.

I love the XJ (looks, performance, interior), but this is the one area where the XJ (Jaguar) falls flat. It's almost embarrassing to get into my buddy's BMW 5xx and see how much better they handle tech.

Rant off ... for now.

Last edited by JamesTX; 03-18-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is amazing how little play we have with an all digital dash and nav screen. I am coming from a Cadillac CTS V-Sport with the CUE system and wow was that customize-able. Pretty much everything you asked for above it would do. I am 99% positive someone in the aftermarket could make this happen but the money probably isn't there for them, too few interested.