Winch hitch on my XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

houtex
yours doesnt have it?

Old 02-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jcamp, mine had the tow hook installed in the rear as well and also every car in the dealership had it installed. But it does come off, you have to turn it to the right to loosen it and then you can stow it in the trunk by the spare tire, there is a slot for it. I think I know why they were not removed at the dealer, it's because this thing is a pain in the *** to remove I think it was installed at the factory by Hercules and then tightened by the Incredible Hulk. The easiest way to remove it is as someone else mentioned put a screwdriver through the hole as a lever and turn it (like you mean it!!) but be careful not to scratch the bottom of the bumper or the exhaust pipe as there isn't too much room.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by MiaXfsc
Jcamp, mine had the tow hook installed in the rear as well and also every car in the dealership had it installed. But it does come off, you have to turn it to the right to loosen it and then you can stow it in the trunk by the spare tire, there is a slot for it. I think I know why they were not removed at the dealer, it's because this thing is a pain in the *** to remove I think it was installed at the factory by Hercules and then tightened by the Incredible Hulk. The easiest way to remove it is as someone else mentioned put a screwdriver through the hole as a lever and turn it (like you mean it!!) but be careful not to scratch the bottom of the bumper or the exhaust pipe as there isn't too much room.
Thanks,
Wish the dealer or factory would take it off or cover it, the 1 I saw must have been off or it may have had a cove r, wish I took a pic.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:29 AM

Was on vacation last week and saw a few new xjls with the tow hook in back next to left tailpipe , than I saw another in burgundy without it and it looked like the bottom had a black plastic cover.
This is the 2nd burgundy xj I saw without the tow hook, maybe it was a supercharged I don't know?

Old 03-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Jcamp,
Miaxfsc is correct. I have a Caviar Supercharged and mine had to tow hook installed as well. I actually never realized it till the other day. It's so small that I never gave it a second thought. Any way after reading this string tonight I went outside with a breaker bar put it through the eye and turned it to right and it broke torque and came right off. I then put it in trunk next to the spare in the sorta spot it suppose to sit in.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
Jcamp,
Miaxfsc is correct. I have a Caviar Supercharged and mine had to tow hook installed as well. I actually never realized it till the other day. It's so small that I never gave it a second thought. Any way after reading this string tonight I went outside with a breaker bar put it through the eye and turned it to right and it broke torque and came right off. I then put it in trunk next to the spare in the sorta spot it suppose to sit in.
Mine was in the trunk where it belongs when I took delivery. I guess some dealers haven't figured this out yet.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

Many long years ago as a fleet mechanic, a driver named Rose asked me if I knew where she could get a winch. I answered that she could get one at the corner bar after 3:30. She said no, no, I want a winch for my 4X4. I directed her to the shop foreman as he would probably know where to get a good deal. She went into the shop office and asked him if he knew where she could get a winch and she added and please don't say the corner bar. He fell down laughing.