XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Winter tire options for 20 inch wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Winter tire options for 20 inch wheels

Hi there,
I am trying to find winter tires for my S/C which comes with 20 inch wheels.
I looked at tirerack.com and they only seem to have Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II Run Flat and Winter Carving Edge Run Flat. Both have different front and rear tires. I called a Jag dealer and he recommended same size on all tires (275/35R20). Is that correct ? I have heard reviews of Winter Sottozero but has anyone used Winter carving edge run flat ?
Is there any other brand? Or should I simply get all seasons as I do not plan to drive in snow (unless weather gets me by surprise).
Thank you,

Old 10-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

i usually run all seasons on my Jags and never really had an issue. Ill put winters on my G only because they come with summer tires.

if you want, get a set of 19" or 18" winter rims+tires that you can swap out between seasons....that way you dont ruin the 20's

Old 10-24-2012, 01:34 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i have the soretto series 2 horrid winter tires, kind of like a allseason tire, i wanted to personally try the winter carving edge due to the aggressive tread pattern, and get it studded that probably would do the trick. BUT if you know your tires, jaguar doesnt know ****... because you can go down to a 265/ 35 / 20 or 255 / 35 / 20 call tire rack they'll explain to you more options in the 255

Old 10-24-2012, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Do you drive outside the city in ice or slush? Maybe all seasons can work. There are some ongoing tire discussions over in the XF forum that may help.

Nokian makes an all season (WRG2) and a true winter tire (Hakkapelliitta R). I am buying a set of 19 inch wheels and the Hakka R's for winter as I live in snowy, icy Central NY. One of the XF forum members recommends Continental all season or snows, but I did not find the tire in a 19 inch, let alone a 20. The Nokian all season is highly recommended, but not the cheapest. I believe both come in 20 inch sizes.

Nokians are not sold on Tire Rack, but two of my local dealers carried them. You may want to consider a dedicated winter set of wheels and tires if you are keeping the car for a number of years as the cost of switching out the tires only adds up. You would need to get another set of TPMS though and they are not cheap.

I would not get the run flats, more trouble than they are worth. Bridgestome Blizzaks were also recommended by my tire dealer, but he and others have sworn by the Nokian. I am using a non-staggered set up so I can rotate. You can likely use the same tire size even if your wheels are staggered. Tire rack and reputable, experienced tire dealers can help you sort it out as well as some forum members here.

Last edited by jaguny; 10-24-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Do you drive outside the city in ice or slush? Maybe all seasons can work. There are some ongoing tire discussions over in the XF forum that may help.

Nokian makes an all season (WRG2) and a true winter tire (Hakkapelliitta R). I am buying a set of 19 inch wheels and the Hakka R's for winter as I live in snowy, icy Central NY. One of the XF forum members recommends Continental all season or snows, but I did not find the tire in a 19 inch, let alone a 20. The Nokian all season is highly recommended, but not the cheapest. I believe both come in 20 inch sizes.

Nokians are not sold on Tire Rack, but two of my local dealers carried them. You may want to consider a dedicated winter set of wheels and tires if you are keeping the car for a number of years as the cost of switching out the tires only adds up. You would need to get another set of TPMS though and they are not cheap.

I would not get the run flats, more trouble than they are worth. Bridgestome Blizzaks were also recommended by my tire dealer, but he and others have sworn by the Nokian. I am using a non-staggered set up so I can rotate. You can likely use the same tire size even if your wheels are staggered. Tire rack and reputable, experienced tire dealers can help you sort it out as well as some forum members here.
Not really but I drive to Midwest from NYC for Thanksgiving and Xmas. But typically, I avoid driving on days with snow or freezing rain. Only in the worst case, I will drive in freezing rain/ice but very rarely. Should I go with all season then? I could not find Hakkapelliitta R in 20 inch.

Thanks,

Old 10-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

This web site shows that the size is available, but I think you can find them cheaper through a local dealer.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R Tires at Discount Prices - Free Shipping!

It sounds like you can get by with an all season. Same web site shows the all season Nokians available in 20 inch.

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/p-8982-nok...-g2-tires.aspx

I'd shop them around. I picked up my 19 inch Hakka R's for $315 each mounted and balanced.

Last edited by jaguny; 10-25-2012 at 08:14 PM.