XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Wood veneer cracked in door

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014 | 12:02 AM
|
Default Wood veneer cracked in door

My 2011 xjl 13 mi on it and the wood veneer in pass door cracked it looks like fake wood or plastic? How could wood have a hairlin crck down the middle?

Old 07-25-2014 | 11:23 AM

I had the same issue happen to my 2011 XJL over a year ago, on the front right passenger door, and it was replaced under warranty. They did end up replacing the back right door wood panel as well, so that the look was uniform.
According to the service manager, it was not the wood which had the crack, but the lacquer or whatever it is that is applied as multiple coats/layers over the wood. Weird and no idea what caused it, but thankfully the replacement panel has not had the issue (so far, fingers crossed, touch wood!) :-)

Old 07-25-2014 | 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Correct it's the clear that cracks. Yes it's all real wood. If you are not under warranty I use these guys.

http://www.maderaconcepts.com/NewSite/VehiclePages/Jaguar_vehicles.html

It turns out that my Jaguar dealer sent my pieces to them anyway so you can just cut out the middle man and get it done cheaper.

I have a 2005 STR and have had the two main dash pieces done and the shifter surround. Good work but they did break a plastic tab off the shifter surround and would not fix it. Still works fine but I wanted it fixed properly!

Old 12-15-2014 | 02:25 PM
Default Passenger Front Door Veneer Cracked

I was looking at a 2011 XJL at the dealership today with 66,000 km on it can was disappointed to see that the wood veneer on the passenger side door was cracked. It is a Pre-Owned Certified Jaguar meaning that it will come with the 6 year 160,000km warranty. I asked about the cracked veneer and the salesperson indicated that it was unlikely that the dealership would have it fixed as one has to replace multiple pieces in the car for them to all match. He went on to point out that the veneer is not covered on the Certified warranty because it is a wear and tear item. All that being said, in my mind the car would still be under the original warranty (purchased Apr 2011) as it was a 5 year 80,000km warranty on the 2011 models. Would the original warranty not require the replacement? I know if I owned an XJL from new and the veneer cracked I would be extremely upset and want it replaced at any point that the car was under the original warranty. Thoughts?

Also, does the company mentioned above repair the existing clear coat on the veneer? I imagine it must be possible to strip and redo...and in doing so eliminate the requirement to replace all the panels.

Old 12-15-2014 | 06:26 PM
From: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.

Originally Posted by churmsk
I was looking at a 2011 XJL at the dealership today with 66,000 km on it can was disappointed to see that the wood veneer on the passenger side door was cracked. It is a Pre-Owned Certified Jaguar meaning that it will come with the 6 year 160,000km warranty. I asked about the cracked veneer and the salesperson indicated that it was unlikely that the dealership would have it fixed as one has to replace multiple pieces in the car for them to all match. He went on to point out that the veneer is not covered on the Certified warranty because it is a wear and tear item. All that being said, in my mind the car would still be under the original warranty (purchased Apr 2011) as it was a 5 year 80,000 km warranty on the 2011 models. Would the original warranty not require the replacement? I know if I owned an XJL from new and the veneer cracked I would be extremely upset and want it replaced at any point that the car was under the original warranty. Thoughts?
I wouldn't take a salesperson's word about anything as truth. They are by far the most unreliable, uninformed source of information about anything that exists on the face of the earth.

Old 12-25-2014 | 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by churmsk
I was looking at a 2011 XJL at the dealership today with 66,000 km on it can was disappointed to see that the wood veneer on the passenger side door was cracked. It is a Pre-Owned Certified Jaguar meaning that it will come with the 6 year 160,000km warranty. I asked about the cracked veneer and the salesperson indicated that it was unlikely that the dealership would have it fixed as one has to replace multiple pieces in the car for them to all match. He went on to point out that the veneer is not covered on the Certified warranty because it is a wear and tear item. All that being said, in my mind the car would still be under the original warranty (purchased Apr 2011) as it was a 5 year 80,000km warranty on the 2011 models. Would the original warranty not require the replacement? I know if I owned an XJL from new and the veneer cracked I would be extremely upset and want it replaced at any point that the car was under the original warranty. Thoughts?

Also, does the company mentioned above repair the existing clear coat on the veneer? I imagine it must be possible to strip and redo...and in doing so eliminate the requirement to replace all the panels.
Sounds like they don't want to sell the car. Seeing this upfront why would I want to purchase it; I'd look for another one.

Old 12-25-2014 | 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

Madera told me they strip and redo the clear.