XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Would I would trade the XJ for a Lincoln? Shocker

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 07:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Would I would trade the XJ for a Lincoln? Shocker

I just wanted to give my opinion, that I would in a heart beat trade in my XJ for a Lincoln. But its not no ordinary Lincoln, its the strikingly similar Jaguar/Bentley looking car that seems to have the best of both worlds the 2017 Lincoln Continental. Sure its only a concept but it was told the production should look extremely similar. If they didnt change a damn thing on it, id love it. What do you guys think?
P.S this probably is their last ditch effort for the troubled car company to go all out. Reason? Wealthy Chinese buyers
Link here
Introducing the New Lincoln Continental Concept Luxury Car | Lincoln.com

Old 12-10-2015, 08:14 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

It is said the most sincere form of flattery is imitation, and certainly the frontal and side exterior styling is all Jaguar inspired (copied).

The rear view, however, is not a clone of the Jaguar, and is quiet nice, especially the through the lower facia quad exhausts.

The wheels are a little over the top, but will appeal to the "more is better" younger generation of buyers, who don't know crap about the downside of oversized wheels.

The roof, side windows, and outside rearview mirrors, fall short of the XJs styling.

Most of all, I find the ***** house velour and chrome interior totally unacceptable, totally "Detroit", and totally lacking in comparison to the classy XJ interior. This, if carried over into the production model, would prevent me from even considering purchasing this car.

If it floats your boat, go for it. But do consider that depreciation costs of "copycat" imitations of the real thing, i.e. the Lincoln's obvious copy of the Jaguar, usually depreciate at a much faster rate than the original.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:52 PM
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

There is one thing going for Lincoln's favor... Reliability and low maintenance costs. My 2 MKZ's have been bullet proof with 28k on one and 85k on another. Only repair was exterior temperature sensor.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:33 PM
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

I can't lie, the styling is quite striking. I saw the concept car at the Miami International Car show and it really caught and kept my attention.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:57 PM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm loving the new Continental. I would love to have one, but I wish it had some wood on the dash.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:21 AM
MHT
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I am sorry but I would have to pass. The exterior is not bad but the interior is to busy and reminds me of that found in and old funeral car. Finally, I just hope that all the attention that has gone into the looks of the car , has also gone into the electronics and mechanical operation of the car.
This would not be the car that would pull me out of my Jag XJ AWD.

Last edited by MHT; 12-11-2015 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:18 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Looks kinda like it's trying to be a Chrysler 300 that's trying to look like a Bentley.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Good Lord that Lincon thing is trully hideous.

make it go away ! pleaseeeeee !

Old 12-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

C'mon, the body styling is killer. It really does look amazing and well done, I just hope they dont ugly it up come production

Old 12-11-2015, 12:01 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Will the real Bentley please stand up.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:43 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I could not do it. The new Lincoln will not place you in the class level of automobile ownership like a Jaguar automobile. If you feel like you'd have to own the new Lincoln, instead, pay off the Jaguar and get the new Lincoln in about a year or two. But, keep the Jaguar.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:15 PM
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I wish the new XJ copies the bentleys 4 lamp scheme... And XJ has always had quad head lamps...

Old 12-11-2015, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,886 Likes on 7,156 Posts

As for the Lincoln is does have some nice features.

I agree with John that the rear end is nicely done, the wheels are too busy, and that the interior looks brothel-esque.

I do like that the stylists avoided the temptation of slit-like side windows and, although the belt line is rather high (as with all newer cars), they avoided the excessive 'slab side' look so often seen today...which makes cars look like armored personnel carriers. The sides actually have some contour.

Also, getting back to the rear, the tall 'bustle butt' look is thankfully missing. This, in turn, means there is no huge expanse of sheet metal over the rear wheels which, on so many other cars, makes the rear wheels look abnormally small.

Lastly, the stylists did something that too few others do: used some restraint in headlight styling. Many car have over-styled, gimmicky headlights that, together with gaping maws for grilles, tend to give the front end a cartoonish look.

Take away the gaudy interior and unattractive wheels and you have a nice car. IMHO

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
johndahlheimer (12-13-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 07:12 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

Sorry, I will keep the XJ. Few things that I see that just don't do it for me. The interior, too much bling/shiny stuff. Maybe that is the fad, but the XJ is about where I like it if not slightly less (I know I am looking at getting rid of the chrome around the coin slot/right in front of the center arm rest). Kinda like on the outside there is too much chrome to me and it is in all the wrong places (ie, door handles, markers on the side).

Granted, if this new car is anything like the other Lincolns I have sat in, that will completely ruin it for me. I will admit that I like to sit upright in my vehicles (I find if I lean back too much, I will fall asleep on a long drive). The MKZ I was looking at, my head was pressed up against the ceiling, even with the seat as low as it would go. I am only 6 foot. That one thing alone was enough to make me not buy the MKZ (was ready to buy one as I like the exterior design, granted, the motor options were fairly limited and not to the level I would have wanted).

Old 12-13-2015, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

The Lincoln Concept actually isn't that bad looking.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Since the OP lives in Irvine CA, a predominantly Chinese city, he'll fit right in with the Lincoln...long-wheelbase preferably.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:21 PM
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Sorry, I will keep the XJ. Few things that I see that just don't do it for me. The interior, too much bling/shiny stuff. Maybe that is the fad, but the XJ is about where I like it if not slightly less (I know I am looking at getting rid of the chrome around the coin slot/right in front of the center arm rest). Kinda like on the outside there is too much chrome to me and it is in all the wrong places (ie, door handles, markers on the side).

Granted, if this new car is anything like the other Lincolns I have sat in, that will completely ruin it for me. I will admit that I like to sit upright in my vehicles (I find if I lean back too much, I will fall asleep on a long drive). The MKZ I was looking at, my head was pressed up against the ceiling, even with the seat as low as it would go. I am only 6 foot. That one thing alone was enough to make me not buy the MKZ (was ready to buy one as I like the exterior design, granted, the motor options were fairly limited and not to the level I would have wanted).
That's strange as I recently rented an MKZ and I had a least 4-5 inches of head room with the seat on it's lowest setting, and i'm 6'2".

Old 05-11-2016, 04:27 AM
MHT
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

After seeing pictures of the actual production car, I now think the Lincoln looks better, especially with leather interior. I like the size and sleek look of the XJ over the Lincoln and although the Lincoln will have more bells and whistles for less the cost of the Jag, it will be intersting to see how reliable these items will be.
I would not want to be one of the first to purchase the Lincoln but to be quite frank, from past experience I would wait for six months before I would purchase the introductory model of any brand.
If it is still in my budget and my XJ proves to be reliable as it has been, I will probably trade for another XJ. When the 2017 Lincoln hits the lots, I would like to take a test drive just for comparison.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

There are fourteen Lincolns in my background and, with the exception of one true lemon (1981 Town Car, purchased new), I've had exceptional service from the brand. I purchased my first one in 1976 and my most recent one in 2012. Frankly, I like what I've seen of the new Continental and I do believe that Lincoln is making a good effort with this car, but I don't expect it to measure up to an XJ or XJL. That would be like comparing apples and oranges. I do intend to test-drive one when they arrive at the dealers - I am well known enough at my local Lincoln dealer that it won't be a problem. I'm anxious to see how much better it is than the 2012 MKT I had.

Dwayne

The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (05-18-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 10:45 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Though I won't be in the car-buying market for some years barring an accident, the Continental is on the list. The post-09 XJ doesn't have the distinguishing character of prior models.