XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

X351 Custom coilover issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 05:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X351 Custom coilover issues.

Hi Jag Forums,
First time poster.
I have been posting on the facebook groups to no avail so I'm hoping that someone here will be able to provide some insight.
I had custom coilovers made for the front of my X351 and after putting them in and out a millon times I cannot get the rear right to remain level. I have tried to do the levelling procedure but usually get faults saying the heights are incorrect. Once or twice it has accepted the readings but the rear right always goes about 15mm higher than the rear left after driving. I cannot get the car tracket properly as a result. I have changed the banana arms the drop links and the wishbones in the front to make sure everything is all level up there but still have the same issue.
Can anyone shed any light as to how I know if I damaged one of my height sensors? I am able to move them all individually and can see the level readings change on the diagnostics so they seem to be working?
All the best,
DK

Last edited by Donncha Kearney; 07-18-2021 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

Donncha, Welcome to the forums. I know this might sound odd, but your problem may not be in the rear, but in the front. It is possible that the car is seeing the right front as being slow and as a result, lowers the rear left to try and leverage up the front some as there is no means to change the front height other than lowering the rear and leveraging up the car.

The other option that I can see if you will end up modifying one of the vertical arms for the rear height sensors to make it adjustable. You then adjust the arm as needed to make the rear sit level.

The following users liked this post:
Donncha Kearney (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Donncha, Welcome to the forums. I know this might sound odd, but your problem may not be in the rear, but in the front. It is possible that the car is seeing the right front as being slow and as a result, lowers the rear left to try and leverage up the front some as there is no means to change the front height other than lowering the rear and leveraging up the car.

The other option that I can see if you will end up modifying one of the vertical arms for the rear height sensors to make it adjustable. You then adjust the arm as needed to make the rear sit level.

Thank you Thermo,
I think it's the front left height sensor myself. I'm not getting any faults for it though? Before I go buy a new one, is there any way of testing it?

Old 07-18-2021, 07:55 PM
Veteran member

Donncha, this is where you would need a program called SDD to look at the heights and then get the special ruler that measures from the center of the wheel to the top of the wheel arch (sounds like you have all this stuff). You should be able to then park the car on a level surface and see what the difference is between actual and what the computer sees.

The following users liked this post:
Donncha Kearney (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 02:27 AM

Donncha, this is where you would need a program called SDD to look at the heights and then get the special ruler that measures from the center of the wheel to the top of the wheel arch (sounds like you have all this stuff). You should be able to then park the car on a level surface and see what the difference is between actual and what the computer sees.
This is what I've done. Then tried to input the actual readings but it rarely accepts them.

Old 07-19-2021, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

Donncha, I seem to remember that when I played iwth my system, the values needed to be cut in half. You measure like 400ish mm of distance, but the machine is looking for 200ish mm as I recall. It has been awhile since i played with that aspect plus my machine got corrupted because I tried using the latest version and it then upgraded itself to a system where you have to be plugged in to use or something that will not allow me to use it at my car.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:49 PM

Donncha, I seem to remember that when I played iwth my system, the values needed to be cut in half. You measure like 400ish mm of distance, but the machine is looking for 200ish mm as I recall. It has been awhile since i played with that aspect plus my machine got corrupted because I tried using the latest version and it then upgraded itself to a system where you have to be plugged in to use or something that will not allow me to use it at my car.
I've done the same with my sdd. Updated it like an eejet and now it needs online access. I'm using a launch type thing. I'll try cutting them in half and just see out of interest what happens.

Old 07-19-2021, 03:39 PM

I've done the same with my sdd. Updated it like an eejet and now it needs online access. I'm using a launch type thing. I'll try cutting them in half and just see out of interest what happens.