XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

X351 Diesel Worth Buying?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 05:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X351 Diesel Worth Buying?

hello

looking to buy an X351 went to view a 2010 3.0 diesel the other day all looks well so i almost bought it until a friend rang me up. He told me he spoke to his friend who is a mechanic he told him not to buy a 3.0 diesel as they are known for engine failure and he had changed alot of engines on them in the last year.

ive been looking online to try and find similar threads about this ive found two so far something about no dipstick, engine oil levels and crankshaft failure it seems to be alot more common in the XF can anyone shed any light on this and is it a common problem is a worth 3.0 diesel worth buying?

thanks

Old 02-20-2021, 07:56 AM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I am a service advisor at a JLR dealership, and the one engine we have more trouble than any other, by a long way, is the diesels. Many problems, and expensive repairs.

The Ingenium 2.0L and, ironically, well cared for 5.0L V8s are the best bets.

The following users liked this post:
IronMountain (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 08:10 AM
Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

Hello,

I have 2010 x351 with 3.0 diesel. Currently 240t km on the clock. (186t miles)
The engine are Ford/PSA AJD-V6 model. It have been videly used in JLR, PSA and Ford vehicles. 2.7liter version suffered alot of crankshaft main bearing rotation, what have been improved in 3.0 liter version on 2009.
Factory have been unoffically announced that they have been improved manufacturing tolerances on journals and also re-schooled engineers on assembly plan since 2.7liter issues. However: There are still reported issues in 3.0, but not such volumes.
Rumors say that if the engine have been last up to 1st timing belt interval, it is build correctly and will last the age of the vehicle.

Main key seems that the oil changes have to be done much often than given by factory, specially if vehicle are used for short runs. (i do it in every 10t km)
Using correct oil, low ash C1 category, are mandatory!!
By suction method the oil change are very easy and fast DIY.
There are no dipstick, only electric lever on dash. Have been reliable for me. (verified by how much oil comes out)

The reason for shortened oil change interval are oil dillution with diesel fuel. x351 are so called "Medium coupled platform", where DPF (particle filter) and catalyt converter are not very close each other. That means longer burning time for cleaning DPF cycle. Burning are made by injecting gasoline to cylinders during exhaust phase -> Piston oil rings are not so good to wipe thin diesel gasoline, so unburned gasoline will end on the oil pan and make oil thinner.
There are an method to improve effect of catalyt converter heating DPF much faster. With that mod burning cycle will be shorter and less fuel will enter on oil pan. This are an must to do if living in areas where are cold winter. (i live in Finland and its not unusual that we have -20 to -30C (-4 to -22F) few months, so i did it before 1st winter: Never had a promlem, it is now 3rd winter with XJ for me.

Otherwise 3.0L diesel engine are very good. Torgue are impressive and it is pretty smooth. Most persons who sit in do not believe it is an diesel powered vehicle. Economic as well.
Timing belt interval are 180t km / 10years (111miles) and diesel pump belt 240t km (149t miles). Thse are also possible to DIY. On youtybe there are lot of videos, mainly Range Rovers, but same lump. (also service manual available on sticky section)

So, check service book that services are done in time and correct oil are used. Engine should run smooth and when driving, there should not be hesitation on power.

The following 3 users liked this post by Vasara:
axtmerce (02-21-2021), IronMountain (02-20-2021), XJsss (02-20-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 03:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaosphereIX
I am a service advisor at a JLR dealership, and the one engine we have more trouble than any other, by a long way, is the diesels. Many problems, and expensive repairs.

The Ingenium 2.0L and, ironically, well cared for 5.0L V8s are the best bets.
Very interested in your experience of the reliability issues of the 3.0 diesel on the XJ - would you say that is true considering that there was approximately 10 diesels sold for every 1 petrol in the UK which may be the reason for the perceived higher number of breakdowns ?

I am interested because I am considering a petrol version when I next change my car.

Thanks

Old 02-21-2021, 03:22 PM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony R
Very interested in your experience of the reliability issues of the 3.0 diesel on the XJ - would you say that is true considering that there was approximately 10 diesels sold for every 1 petrol in the UK which may be the reason for the perceived higher number of breakdowns ?

I am interested because I am considering a petrol version when I next change my car.

Thanks
I cannot speak to the UK market, I just know in Canada here the most, by far, problems we see in JLR vehicles is the diesels. The DEF sensors seem to die, as do NOX sensors. DEF tanks freeze solid. Fuel system is very weak too. Filling the DEF tank needs extreme precision, for if overfilled you get a no restart countdown that only can be rectified at the dealer. One just came in, spun a bearing at 100k. $40k for a new engine.

If there is one engine that JLR should stop making it is their diesel.

The following users liked this post:
Tony R (02-21-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 04:31 PM
Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaosphereIX
I cannot speak to the UK market, I just know in Canada here the most, by far, problems we see in JLR vehicles is the diesels. The DEF sensors seem to die, as do NOX sensors. DEF tanks freeze solid. Fuel system is very weak too. Filling the DEF tank needs extreme precision, for if overfilled you get a no restart countdown that only can be rectified at the dealer. One just came in, spun a bearing at 100k. $40k for a new engine.

If there is one engine that JLR should stop making it is their diesel.
When you mention DEF systems, you must then be pointing Ingenium (not PSA/Ford) version of engines?
IronMountain ask information and experience of 2010 model, what are PSA/Ford made. Since 2015 Jaguar started to use own made Ingeniun engine family. (exept i think on XJ they used AJD-V6 up to the end?)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingenium_engine_family
I had no idea that there are still problems on Ingenium family, exept i hear that at least early versions suffer ahh.. so common timing chain problems. Can you tell more for us? (PSA/Ford AJD-V6 issues are allready well known for regular Forum members, since the unit has allready had long service age)

Old 02-22-2021, 02:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't go anywhere near a diesel Jag XJ!! I have a 2016 Portfolio purchased less than 2 years ago as an NHS semi retirement treat with 26k mileage which required a new engine at 30k. Service light came on after only 2k following Jag full service. Light was reset and then engine failed. Despite new engine the car gets to 2-4k miles and service light back on. I was completing 11k a year before COVID. Fobbed off with driving style, reset interval not correct.

Through naivety and lack of car knowledge since discovered the dreaded issues of oil dilution and known issues with 3 litre engine. Trying to resolve with Jaguar as issues from purchase and looking at legal action if unable to reach amicable resolution. The car would suit an enthusiast who can change oil every 2k but I'm a bloody community nurse FFS so they can have it back.

Hopefully this will be my last post on this forum as I want to get rid. I'll never go with JLR again.