Old 05-24-2024, 02:53 PM
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

no key for the trunk /Boot

The following users liked this post:
Meanmugga (05-24-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,365 Likes on 1,863 Posts

Can you post how you got the front park sensors to turn on automatically?
I have a 2014 so behind your 2019 so I may NOT have that option on my older car?

lotusespritse (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 12:37 PM
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Clubairth1, my 2014 turns on the front parking sensors automatically when I back up first. Otherwise, when driving straight in, I have to manually turn them on. Do yours work that way?
My complaint is the insufficient lookdown angle of the front sensors to see low curb stops. Fortunately, my lady doesn't mind jumping out and telling me how close I am.

Old 05-25-2024, 01:01 PM
Received 182 Likes on 118 Posts

On my 2018 there is an option on the touch screen menu to set "Automatic PDC On" (Select "Parking Aid" then "Parking Aid Settings"). With this option selected, the front (and rear, and side)sensors are active whenever speed drops below a certain threshold (10 kph, I believe).

I use it, but it is a mite irritating when in a queue at lights, as it will detect - and beep about - seemingly everyone else in the queue.

Last edited by christ; 05-26-2024 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-26-2024, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you as it seems Jaguar DID update the front park sensor operations.
I will look but I bet they changed the software and my older 2014 does not have that option but I will check.

Yes even when on the front park sensors seem to miss lower parking bumpers. I have scratched up the bottom of my front spoiler and plan to repaint it sometime.

Yes Freddy J mine work the same.

Old 05-27-2024, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Paldi
On my 2019 I've set the front parking sensors to turn on automatically. But they are sometimes slow to activate.
I can’t find that setting in either the driver display or the center dash on my 2019. I am sure I am missing it. Would you please describe in detail where to find that setting?

Old 05-28-2024, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks again for posting that and I hope you do follow up with what lotusespritse suggested above? Even though my car appears to NOT have this option I do want to see what Jaguar did in later years.

I have been all thru the screens in my 2014 and can safely say there are ZERO options for the park sensors that I can find. So if it did change we don't know what year it happened.

Old 05-28-2024, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Thanks again for posting that and I hope you do follow up with what lotusespritse suggested above? Even though my car appears to NOT have this option I do want to see what Jaguar did in later years.

I have been all thru the screens in my 2014 and can safely say there are ZERO options for the park sensors that I can find. So if it did change we don't know what year it happened.
I just found the setting. It was accessible when the park sensors display popped up as I was parking. There was a small settings "gear" icon in the bottom right of that popup box.

ralphwg (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 07:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I dislike about my XJL 5.0 SC is finding out the expansion valve is buried under the dash. Hours and hours of labor to replace a $35 part. I think Jag missed the mark on that one.

Meanmugga (05-29-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagTag
What I dislike about my XJL 5.0 SC is finding out the expansion valve is buried under the dash. Hours and hours of labor to replace a $35 part. I think Jag missed the mark on that one.
As a lifelong DIYer, it's worth mentioning that each one of those hours and hours of labor are some of the worst possible hours you spend working on a car. Anything inside the depths of any dash is my worst nightmare.

Old 05-28-2024, 09:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,890 Likes on 3,197 Posts

I guess my needs are very basic and my dislike is that the car simply has too many gadgets. Too many things that can break, especially as the car gets older. I understand that a car today without power windows, power locks, power seats, and A/C just won't sell. Got it. But, lets get rid of the dynamic driving, hell, get rid of the adaptive suspension and air ride rear. Lots of electronics for a slightly smoother ride. Get rid of all the lane maintainers and adaptive cruise. Again, lots of electronics that a gnat flies in front of the car and it goes bonkers.

I guess my "ideal" XJ would be something with a supercharged 5.0L motor under the hood, bare bones amenities in the cabin (power locks/windows, A/C, non-heated power seats) and something that when it breaks, is simple enough you can fix it yourself. You throw that into the "Berlinetta" (sp?) body (what was in theory was going to be the new 2020 XJ body style), you would have me sold in a heartbeat. Not quite the madness of an early Viper, but you get the idea. Keep the traction control. Keep the ABS. But, let the car be a driver's car, not the modern day "let me sleep in the driver's seat as the car does what it wants" vehicle. I know, I am the 1% out there. But, I bet a lot of you are going "oh man, please".

Old 05-28-2024, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermo
I guess my needs are very basic and my dislike is that the car simply has too many gadgets. Too many things that can break, especially as the car gets older. I understand that a car today without power windows, power locks, power seats, and A/C just won't sell. Got it. But, lets get rid of the dynamic driving, hell, get rid of the adaptive suspension and air ride rear. Lots of electronics for a slightly smoother ride. Get rid of all the lane maintainers and adaptive cruise. Again, lots of electronics that a gnat flies in front of the car and it goes bonkers.

I guess my "ideal" XJ would be something with a supercharged 5.0L motor under the hood, bare bones amenities in the cabin (power locks/windows, A/C, non-heated power seats) and something that when it breaks, is simple enough you can fix it yourself. You throw that into the "Berlinetta" (sp?) body (what was in theory was going to be the new 2020 XJ body style), you would have me sold in a heartbeat. Not quite the madness of an early Viper, but you get the idea. Keep the traction control. Keep the ABS. But, let the car be a driver's car, not the modern day "let me sleep in the driver's seat as the car does what it wants" vehicle. I know, I am the 1% out there. But, I bet a lot of you are going "oh man, please".
Jaguar has what you want. Most of what you described is the XF in a nutshell, at least when they made the V8 version. If you don't mind a little less leg room in the rear, you should check it out. Very simple car compared to the XJ.

Old 05-29-2024, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

I agree.

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Jaguar has what you want. Most of what you described is the XF in a nutshell, at least when they made the V8 version. If you don't mind a little less leg room in the rear, you should check it out. Very simple car compared to the XJ.
Good point, as we enjoyed our XF, for the 11 years that we owned it.

Old 05-29-2024, 11:04 AM
Veteran member

Lotus, I am thinking more the XFR as compared to just an XF. Granted, you are probably correct. The XF would be a much more simple car as compared to the XJ. May have to keep that in mind. But, like others are saying, finding the V8 version is going to be tough.

Old 05-29-2024, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Lotus, I am thinking more the XFR as compared to just an XF. Granted, you are probably correct. The XF would be a much more simple car as compared to the XJ. May have to keep that in mind. But, like others are saying, finding the V8 version is going to be tough.
This was a nice one that just finished on C&B. It had the V8 with the later timing chains, which is a big plus. It did have accident history though. So they are definitely out there. You just need to put saved searches on all the popular car sales sites to get alerts.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/Kmq...4-jaguar-xfr-s

Old 05-29-2024, 01:31 PM
Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

.. non-heated power seats..
No,No,No. I don´t let my heated seats go. Power movement can go but no heating!
-30C (-22F) winter morning the leather seat turns ***** to cubes.

Old 05-29-2024, 03:00 PM
Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm surprised no auto maanufacturer has an option for a cooled steering wheel. The Peltier heat pump could provide heating as well as cooling; maybe even thermostaticly controlled.
I agree with an earlier post that chassis stiffness in a drivers car is more important than fold-down seats. But a small hatch could be provided for your skis and my hockey sticks. Plus, convenient access for the Trunk Monkey!

Old 05-29-2024, 04:07 PM
Veteran member

Oh, where was that car a year ago when I was looking for a new car. Granted, I wasn't necessarily looking for an XFR as I had my mind on an XJ. Oh well, I missed it. But, time will tell. I do not see me getting rid of what I have for awhile (atleast 5 years). Then, well, the options are really wide open. Maybe making the jump from an XJ to a dually F350 and 40 feet of trailer and being "homeless" for a year. Time will tell.