XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

X351 Maintenance Manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X351 Maintenance Manual

Hi All
I'm a proud owner of a 2011 Jaguar XJL, that's unfortunately suffered some major mechanical setbacks.
First the coolant pump went, then upon fixing that, it was discovered the head gasket was blown.
Actually before that in the winter, the rear right passenger door wouldn't close, dealership said there was a loose wire in a harness but, after a grand, the problem came back.
Despite these issues, I couldn't possibly be happier with my car, it's truly the first time I've found driving enjoyable and wouldn't have it any other way.
Unfortunately due to these issues, I'm pretty tight financially and am trying to hunt down a workshop manual or similar resource to help me understand the car a little better and perform some maintenance myself where possible. Would kindly appreciate a PM in the right direction from a similar financially precarious jag lover.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,890 Likes on 3,197 Posts

Mickey, i have a set of electrical diagrams that I can send you. That may help a little bit. They are specifically for a 2012 vehicle, but there were no major changes between 2011 and 2012. So, should work for you. Send me a PM with your e-mail addy and I will get you the diagrams.

Old 07-29-2018, 12:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

I'm curious mickeybogart; at what mileage did your head gasket blow? My 2011 XJL SC did that twice in the first 50,000 miles which is why it is now my former 2011 XJL. It was a beautiful car (lunar gray) but I really, really need better reliability than that. Traded it on a new Cadillac in March and, so far, so good.

Dwayne

Old 03-31-2019, 09:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does Hayne manual offer a service manual for JAGUAR XJL X351? I feel your pain with the coolant pump. My 2014 Jag XJL coolant pump failed at 32k... SHAME ON YOU JAGUAR. Shame in my for still really enjoying the style and presence it commands everywhere I go :-) Any help on getting a service manual would be appreciated
Originally Posted by mickeybogart
Hi All
I'm a proud owner of a 2011 Jaguar XJL, that's unfortunately suffered some major mechanical setbacks.
First the coolant pump went, then upon fixing that, it was discovered the head gasket was blown.
Actually before that in the winter, the rear right passenger door wouldn't close, dealership said there was a loose wire in a harness but, after a grand, the problem came back.
Despite these issues, I couldn't possibly be happier with my car, it's truly the first time I've found driving enjoyable and wouldn't have it any other way.
Unfortunately due to these issues, I'm pretty tight financially and am trying to hunt down a workshop manual or similar resource to help me understand the car a little better and perform some maintenance myself where possible. Would kindly appreciate a PM in the right direction from a similar financially precarious jag lover.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:50 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

I got an electronic (pdf) manual for the 2010 XJ (same as 2011) that is several thousand pages (it’s a large file). Honestly it is kind of too much info and yet very poorly detailed/organized. But PM me if you want to check it out.

If you can’t afford a new head gasket, you could try using steel seal. Heard good things, but that you have to carefully follow the instructions (I think bypass the water pump or something) to avoid causing additional damage.

The best place for repair info, if you can afford it, is to get a Topix subscription.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,365 Likes on 1,863 Posts

If you have somewhere that we can send 100 GB+ size files then yes.
As was posted above they are very large files. I have a 2014 XJ version and it's 8700 pages in PDF!

Just too big for E-mail and some kind of file hosting site is needed.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got a 2013 XJL Portfolio ... and since it is out of warranty I plan on doing most of the repairs myself. Where could I get the factory service manual for this vehicle? I don't want a subscription, as I will only be using it occasionally and this vehicle is old enough I don't need to be aware of "current" changes which is what services are for. Also, what would be the approximate cost? I got the hard-copy service manual for my Cadillac when I bought it, running about 6000 pages, and it was worth every penny of $200. Even if I decide not to perform a repair, it helps me keep the shop I select for the repair honest.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:16 AM
Received 182 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by avidity
Just got a 2013 XJL Portfolio ... and since it is out of warranty I plan on doing most of the repairs myself. Where could I get the factory service manual for this vehicle? I don't want a subscription, as I will only be using it occasionally and this vehicle is old enough I don't need to be aware of "current" changes which is what services are for. Also, what would be the approximate cost? I got the hard-copy service manual for my Cadillac when I bought it, running about 6000 pages, and it was worth every penny of $200. Even if I decide not to perform a repair, it helps me keep the shop I select for the repair honest.
You can buy Topix "subscriptions" by the day for about £10 (probably about $10 nowadays), and download whatever you need. I don't know how extensive the available library is (I was only interested in User Guides rather than maintenance stuff), but it is certainly worth paying for a day and having a look around.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:25 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by christ
You can buy Topix "subscriptions" by the day for about £10 (probably about $10 nowadays) ......
It must be a very long time since you used TOPIx!

The available data is comprehensive as it's the dealer network source for JLR information.

Graham

Old 04-30-2019, 09:47 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by avidity
As I understand it, there is no GOOD manual for the X351. Only the Topix subscription is comprehensive. I bought a $20ish “manual” that is thousands of pages copied from Topix, but it still lacks the step-by-step instructions necessary to complete jobs on my own. If you PM me I will let you look it over. The file I have is ~ 300 MB, so it requires some creativity to send it. Many companies sell these styles of manuals on the internet. I’m not sure if there are better ones out there. I gave up on the search, as the first attempt was pretty disheartening.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:51 AM
Received 182 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
It must be a very long time since you used TOPIx!
Oops!

Well - same order of magnitude, anyway!

Still better than $200.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,365 Likes on 1,863 Posts

In general the Jaguar manuals leave a lot to be desired but I think we need to understand they are trying to produce a manual that can be used around the world. So detailed instructions in English are not that useful and they fall back to using cryptic graphics to indicate removing and installing things.

Of course the ever frustrating statement that reassembly is just the reverse of disassembly is in there to reduce the size of the manuals.
So yes I do agree with you on that!