XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

From XF to XJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From XF to XJ

Has anyone switched over from the XF to the XJ? Or debated between two cars and ended up with the XJ?

Been looking a few XFs, but my eyes always go after the XJ. Took a quick test drive and could definitely feel the extra weight and size. Prefer the driving dynamics ofmthe XF, but absolutely love the look of the XJ.

The XJ would be 2011 while the XF would be 2011. Non supercharged.

Any advice?

Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

With its aluminium shell, the XJ weighs about the same as the XF, so fuel mileage will be similar. I had a test drive in a new XJ last Friday in the UK, and thought it was an awsome car.

Over here, there are loads of XFs around as it is now a company car of choice. However the cheapest XJ is about £25k more than the cheapest XF. I test drove an XF last year and liked it, too, but if it was a choice I'd go for the XJ, but that's just because I like big cars; style is very similar.

The following users liked this post:
eunsulover (03-20-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 05:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I too prefer bigger cars. I think a SWB XJ is the perfect compromise in this scenario.

eunsulover (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

i went from a 2009 XF to a 2012 XJ.........as much as i loved the XF....the XJ is a million times better.

the only reason I got the XF was because the X351 models were not available, and I already had 2 X350's...didnt want a third...so i figured id give something new a try.

everything about the XJ is light years ahead of the XF (except for the stupid infotainment system, its still slow and shitty). I got the LWB model and yes you do notice the extra weight and size but its no bother to me. the quality of the interior is on another level as well.

yes there is a significant price increase between the 2, hence why the XJ is that much nicer....but IMO...if you can do the XJ, do it.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

2012 + XFs are light years ahead of generation 1 XFs too. That's not a good comparison.

Take a look at 2012 XFs. The nose looks very similar to the XJ, the interiors are much nicer than ever before. And, you liked the drive ability of it, therefore may be the perfect car for you.

I do love the exterior styling on the XJs.

Just to give you an idea....

XF with London Tan
Image Detail for - London Tan/Warm Charcoal Interior - 2012 Jaguar XF Portfolio Photo #9 ...

XJ with London Tan
Image Detail for - London Tan/Navy Interior - 2012 Jaguar XJ XJL Portfolio Photo #4 ...

Last edited by Executive; 03-21-2013 at 11:53 AM.
eunsulover (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 02:24 PM

I definitely like the change in the front fascia for the '12 XFs but damn that interior of the XJ is just so sumptuous looking!

Old 03-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

the exterior of the XF is a lot better than it was. I had the 09 with the stupid bulge eye headlight....it annoyed me a lot.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I went from an '09 XF Luxury to a '12 XJL Supercharged. It's a *huge* difference in interior luxury, speed, and ride refinement.

It's especially fresh in my mind right now, because I am driving a '12 XF right now while the XJL is in the shop, and I miss the car so much.

That being said, the '12 XF is a step-up from the '09, but it's not terribly different. If I was in the market for the XF, I'd go with an XF Supercharged for the power/value ratio.

Once you step up to the XJ, though... You won't really want to go back.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:58 AM

My partner has a '12 XF Portfolio, and I drive a '13 XJL Supercharged. Only because I like bigger/wider vehicle, my preference is the XJ. But...the lighting (especially the signature LED lights on the XF) sure make it stand out more so than the XJ. Don't get me wrong, the XJ has a strong presence on the road, but I think both the XF and XJ are "head-turners" when you're driving.

A few considerations in making a final decision:

1. Is it often that you will have back seat passengers? If so, the XJ may be a better option since having the bigger car will make them more comfortable, especially in the LWB.

2. After riding/driving both pretty consistently, I think the XF has a more "sport" feel where the XJ has a more "luxury-sport" feel. Is your preference to have something more sportier or luxurious?

D

Old 03-29-2013, 05:14 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by eunsulover
Has anyone switched over from the XF to the XJ? Or debated between two cars and ended up with the XJ?
When I first visited my Jaguar dealer last March, I went with the intent of test-driving and purchasing an XF. I had never owned a 4dr sedan in my life, but I'd gotten tired of renting such cars every time we had family or friends come to visit, which has significantly increased since we moved to Las Vegas with a secondary home in Miami Beach, lol. However, the car was a little smaller than I had anticipated; I'm 6'4" and not sure anyone could have sat comfortably in the back seat behind me. Moreover, the interior just looked chintzy and cheap to me, especially for a $50k vehicle. (No offense to XF owners.)

I then drove an XJ and an XJL and felt that there was a world of difference between the XF and the XJ models, more than enough to offset the $25k - $30k or so price differential. So even though I hadn't planned on buying a $75k or so automobile, I ended up with the XJL. I liked the lines of the XJL a little better than the XJ, and the extra legroom in the back made it more practical as well.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in a similar situation as you. Being a young guy on my own I figured buying a 1-2 year old Jag would save me quite a bit of money (as opposed to a new one). I started looking at the 2010 XFs last year. Then I found a really good deal on a 2010 XFR. But while looking at all these XFs the XJ was always my favorite. I just couldn't keep my eye off of it when at the dealership. With this being a pretty significant purchase, I decided to wait around a year till the 2011 XJs fell to a price range I felt comfortable with.

Just this past December I bought a CPO 2011 Jaguar XJ (fully loaded) and with only 10k miles. The looks you will get in the XJ are crazy. One lady was trying to ask me questions while traveling at a high rate of speed, and she was in a MB CLS 550. I try not to notice the admirers and focus on the road but sometimes it can be distracting when someone is driving by with their head completely out the window.

I think seeing the XJ and XF on the road is a huge difference. Absolutely love the XJ both inside and out over the XF.

The following 2 users liked this post by 11XJsrb:
Firecat17 (01-26-2018), LiquidIce (04-11-2013)