XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

XFR or XJL Supercharged?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

The 1200w was for the B&W systems that had yellow speaker cones that were replaced in 2013 by Meridian. If you have a plaque by the midrange speakers on your wood veneer on the doors that Says Meridian Surround then you have the 825w system. If you have the Premium system then it's 380w Meridian system. The 1300w Meridian Reference System was not made available till the 2014 model year onwards and has specific badging and speakers in the upper portion of the front seat backs. FYI I can only speak to the North American models.

Attached Thumbnails XFR or XJL Supercharged?-img_0237.jpg  

Last edited by XJsss; 06-20-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,371 Likes on 1,869 Posts

Yes it's a fairly useless option unless you are a chauffeur!

As noted they only added speakers in the back of the front seats. Aimed directly at the back seat passengers. No improvement for anybody in the front seats. I think it ties in with the complicated RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment) packages that have things like rear fold down package trays and power reclining rear seats, monitors in the front seat head rests. Also there is confusion on the wattage as different numbers are posted different places as you have found out.

I bought the car to drive and have little interest in the back seat beyond it's intended function. In fact I have wondered what a 2 door XJ would have/could have looked like? I really like the AMG coupes like the S63 & E53 and the E55,E65,E63 are just crazy powerful machines.

Gpfarrell; I was worried about this too! My 2014 XJR only had 20K miles on it when I got it. Came with a 6 year 100K CPO warranty. BUT when Stuart at Velocity tuning ran a Christmas special dropping the tune from $1000 to $700 I jumped on it!

So far I only went to the dealer for an oil change but it still is in the back of my mind some. Really enjoy the tune but I started with 550 HP so the difference is NOT night and day. The car is so powerful that traction is my main limitation. I would LOVE to drive it with AWD!

Those dang F Type's get all the fun! 550HP and AWD!

Last edited by clubairth1; 06-20-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:23 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
The 1200w was for the B&W systems that had yellow speaker cones that were replaced in 2013 by Meridian. If you have a plaque by the midrange speakers on your wood veneer on the doors that Says Meridian Surround then you have the 825w system. If you have the Premium system then it's 380w Meridian system. The 1300w Meridian Reference System was not made available till the 2014 model year onwards and has specific badging and speakers in the upper portion of the front seat backs. FYI I can only speak to the North American models.
mine was built in 2013 but it’s a 2014 model year. The plague does say Meridian Surround so I think I have got the 825w not the 1300w

Old 06-21-2018, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Yes it's a fairly useless option unless you are a chauffeur!

As noted they only added speakers in the back of the front seats. Aimed directly at the back seat passengers. No improvement for anybody in the front seats. I think it ties in with the complicated RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment) packages that have things like rear fold down package trays and power reclining rear seats, monitors in the front seat head rests. Also there is confusion on the wattage as different numbers are posted different places as you have found out.

I bought the car to drive and have little interest in the back seat beyond it's intended function. In fact I have wondered what a 2 door XJ would have/could have looked like? I really like the AMG coupes like the S63 & E53 and the E55,E65,E63 are just crazy powerful machines.

Gpfarrell; I was worried about this too! My 2014 XJR only had 20K miles on it when I got it. Came with a 6 year 100K CPO warranty. BUT when Stuart at Velocity tuning ran a Christmas special dropping the tune from $1000 to $700 I jumped on it!

So far I only went to the dealer for an oil change but it still is in the back of my mind some. Really enjoy the tune but I started with 550 HP so the difference is NOT night and day. The car is so powerful that traction is my main limitation. I would LOVE to drive it with AWD!

Those dang F Type's get all the fun! 550HP and AWD!
Hi Clubairth, now that I know the difference between them were just seat back speakers then as a driver I could not care less. Only thing that affects me as a driver is probably the Meridian badge on my door panel. And perhaps some microphones. ( I know there are microphones hiding at each seat capturing driver and passengers conversation and amplify it through the speakers.)

I don’t fancy Mercedes but I do like those AMGs. If the engine on c63 and e63 weren’t that fragile I might have got one of them instead of a Jag.

So I shall keep an eye on Velocity tuning and wait paitently til they do special offers then!

Old 06-21-2018, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Of course those cool yellow speaker cones that are visible on the reference system are quite unique!
Thanks fore the info on the AMG engines I was not aware and I can only guess at AMG repair costs.
I think it's just a neat thing to have the guy who built the engine sign his name to it!

Old 06-21-2018, 11:54 AM

Of course those cool yellow speaker cones that are visible on the reference system are quite unique!
Thanks fore the info on the AMG engines I was not aware and I can only guess at AMG repair costs.
I think it's just a neat thing to have the guy who built the engine sign his name to it!
That 6.2 L engine in early C63 and E63 have head bolts problem, I have researched and they are quite expensive to replace, very labour intensive.

Yea that means when the engine is dead you know exactly who to blame.

For our XJs the only engine problem is just the water pump I guess, which is much easier and cheaper to replace.

The following users liked this post:
Jasz1156 (06-27-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Yes you brought up my line of thinking as well?
I think replacing a water pump even multiple times is child's play and I really don't worry about it except for the possible overheating I might not catch.
Same when I got my S Type R. The DCCV and other minor problems are fine as long as I don't have head bolts or timing chains failing to worry about!
Or even further back Nikasil cylinder linings! Some of the horror stores about Porsche and IMS bearings are beyond belief. They even had to file a class action law suit against Porsche it was such a huge problem.

Still worried long term about carbon build up on the backside of the intake valves due to the DI setup but so far the Jaguar 5.0L engine has been very good.
Even saw a tech mention that he does not see it on the Jaguar side but DOES see it on the Land Rover side. Strange because the 5.0L is the same engine?
Now Audi has a massive problem with giant power declines and the only solution is taking the top end of the engine apart every 20K miles and walnut shell blast the carbon off.

Last edited by clubairth1; 06-22-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:55 PM

Yes you brought up my line of thinking as well?
I think replacing a water pump even multiple times is child's play and I really don't worry about it except for the possible overheating I might not catch.
Same when I got my S Type R. The DCCV and other minor problems are fine as long as I don't have head bolts or timing chains failing to worry about!
Or even further back Nikasil cylinder linings! Some of the horror stores about Porsche and IMS bearings are beyond belief. They even had to file a class action law suit against Porsche it was such a huge problem.

Still worried long term about carbon build up on the backside of the intake valves due to the DI setup but so far the Jaguar 5.0L engine has been very good.
Even saw a tech mention that he does not see it on the Jaguar side but DOES see it on the Land Rover side. Strange because the 5.0L is the same engine?
Now Audi has a massive problem with giant power declines and the only solution is taking the top end of the engine apart every 20K miles and walnut shell blast the carbon off.
That’s how I think and now the water pump is a known issue, I just have to keep an eye on it. Unlike those AMG engines which are timed bombs waiting to explode, as you won’t change the head bolts as preventative measure. It’s certainty vs uncertainty.

But thanks to the IMS bearing issue, it makes the whole 996 range a bargain of the century. My mate bought a used 996 turbo just less than 1/2 price of a used 997 turbo. Crazily fast.

I have not heard much about the carbon build up in our cars?
Guess not many people had suffered that so far?

Old 06-23-2018, 09:28 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by EmmanuelTam
For our XJs the only engine problem is just the water pump I guess, which is much easier and cheaper to replace.
My 2011 XJL had an issue with a blown fuel injector rail, which was covered in a separate post. I was told it is a known issue, although not common at all. The Jaguar dealer had only seen it two or three other times. Lucky me, to be part of such an exclusive club. No warranty coverage, so it was quite a chunk of change out of pocket to get that taken care of.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Yes the injector rail has been a puzzle as well?
It's a pretty rare failure but I still don't understand (maybe because it's a DI engine) but it's never just 1 injector?
They are always replaced in banks of 4 which is hugely expensive.

Maybe a factory tech can explain?