XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

XJ going all electric to fight Tesla?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 09:00 AM
Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

The concept car looks nice and the range of 330 miles is comparable to Tesla, but neither Tesla nor the all electric Jaguar make sense to me. You can't go anywhere in either without making major compromises on a 'real' trip to somewhere. In other words I'm not going to drive 300 miles from Ft Worth to Midland, Texas, then sit on my **** for God only knows how long for it to recharge to get me to the next Tesla station (other than Tesla, I know not of any other recharging stations from Texas to Northern California).

I care not to hear about how most people just travel 20-30 miles in a day. LIke most retired people I travel a lot further than that on a normal week/month/year. About 50K a year in the last five years. So a Hybrid Panamera makes a Lot more sense to me than an all electric XJL. I'll just keep my '17 XJL for a few years more instead of buying the new '19 electric XJ.

I'm sure the Jaguar all elect XJ will be much better made than the Tesla 'thing'. Also I care not for self driving cars at all. Even Distronic/Adaptive cruise bugs the heck out of me when it does that 'bog' when it thinks the car in the other lane is crossing over into my lane.

I wish Jag had gone hybrid instead of all electric.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,370 Likes on 3,491 Posts

Subscribed, and thanks for the interesting discussion of pros and cons.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hailers
The concept car looks nice and the range of 330 miles is comparable to Tesla, but neither Tesla nor the all electric Jaguar make sense to me. You can't go anywhere in either without making major compromises on a 'real' trip to somewhere. In other words I'm not going to drive 300 miles from Ft Worth to Midland, Texas, then sit on my **** for God only knows how long for it to recharge to get me to the next Tesla station (other than Tesla, I know not of any other recharging stations from Texas to Northern California).

I care not to hear about how most people just travel 20-30 miles in a day. LIke most retired people I travel a lot further than that on a normal week/month/year. About 50K a year in the last five years. So a Hybrid Panamera makes a Lot more sense to me than an all electric XJL. I'll just keep my '17 XJL for a few years more instead of buying the new '19 electric XJ.

I'm sure the Jaguar all elect XJ will be much better made than the Tesla 'thing'. Also I care not for self driving cars at all. Even Distronic/Adaptive cruise bugs the heck out of me when it does that 'bog' when it thinks the car in the other lane is crossing over into my lane.

I wish Jag had gone hybrid instead of all electric.
You have made my point perfectly. I have no doubt that an all electric XJ will be a fabulous car and like most other electric cars will be applauded by everyone and bought by very few. Like you, I actually like to drive real distances and once there, do it again. I dont want to refuel any longer than necessary and certainly not hours on end. I live in Australia and like to go driving through our more desolate semi-outback areas (on bitumen only!) where it can be a couple hundred kms between petrol stations and where EV charging points are non-existent, period. There are hardly any such points anywhere in Australia anyhow. try recharging an EV from a 10A socket and see how much fun it isnt.

A hybrid XJ however, would be an incredible beast especially if the electics complement their engine rather than putting in a small 4-pot engine. I'd buy a hybrid defintely, but wont touch an EV. I am planning an XJ (probably XJR) purcchase this year but will now make sure I get one before they go this silly all-electric route.

For context, the XJ sells very poorly in Australia and yet Iv'e seen more X351 XJs than Teslas. And I know why,,,

Old 07-28-2018, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

I am a piston head and my signature confirms this. But... after being spanked in my XKR at a red light Grand Prix by a Tesla I do hope they make it. Will I buy one... NO! But I do hope as a company they make it. Is it the future right now in America... NO, but it will be eventually. Hopefully not in my life time.

Nothing like the sound of a supercharged V-8 breathing heavily!

Old 07-29-2018, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
I am a piston head and my signature confirms this. But... after being spanked in my XKR at a red light Grand Prix by a Tesla I do hope they make it. Will I buy one... NO! But I do hope as a company they make it. Is it the future right now in America... NO, but it will be eventually. Hopefully not in my life time.

Nothing like the sound of a supercharged V-8 breathing heavily!

Just offer to race him across country. Anyone can make a superfast car for a drag. It is another thing to go the distance and after all, isnt DISTANCE what cars are all about?

Old 07-30-2018, 07:14 AM
Received 185 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofff
Just offer to race him across country. Anyone can make a superfast car for a drag. It is another thing to go the distance and after all, isnt DISTANCE what cars are all about?
You could always get a smaller country.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by christ
You could always get a smaller country.
I live in Australia where any one of states is bigger than most European countries. EVs suits certain areas but not Australia. We like to drive and a 500km trip is all in (half) a days job. We dont want to spend a day recharging at the end of it.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:02 AM
Received 185 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofff
I live in Australia.
I knew that.

(I wasn't being serious)

Old 07-31-2018, 09:32 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Have we seen any real news on this since this was "announced" at the beginning of the year? It seemed then, and still seems now, like a very weird decision.

This isnt really a discussion about the benefit or lack thereof with electric cars, but really about Jaguars bottom line. Jag sells less than the Germans in the same segment, so why would they want to filter down to an even MORE niche demographic and sell even less vehicles? That means that Jag would no longer have a full size gas/petrol powered car. Their flagship would be the XF. It just doesnt make any sense.

Now an all electric version of the XJ sold alongside the petrol and diesel versions would make a hell of a lot more sense. I dont think any of us who actually like speed would downplay the performance abilities of an all electric XJ, especially since we know what Teslas can do, but it doesnt make any sense on a business or profits level.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Unfortunately, I think that Jaguar's decision is based on the demise of the XJ chassis and the inception of the I-Pace chassis as an ongoing modernization of the marque. They could, perhaps base a new XJ on the XE/XF chassis, but don't know if they have that inclination. I'll be sorry to see the big gas/diesel cat go away.