XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

XJ iPod/iPhone Integration Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ iPod/iPhone Integration Problems

Ever since I got my beautiful new 2011 XJ, I've had a problem with the iPod/iPhone integration. Forget the fact, for a minute, that the entire LCD touchpanel is the slowest and buggiest information system I've ever had in a car. I've ever seen. Specifically, 1 out of 3 times I attempt to BROWSE the list of songs on my iPod/iPhone, the BROWSE button doesn't work. I press it repeatedly, and nothing happens. The consequence is, I can't select songs - I am limited to listening to whatever was last queued up. This happens whether it is my iPod 80g or my iPhone3GS 32g. I have tried shutting off the car but this never corrects the situation. I have tried disconnecting the device and reconnecting...no go. When it occurs, no other part of the information system fails to work. It's only the BROWSE button in the iPod/iPhone interface that is intermittent.

Have any of my fellow XJ owners encountered this problem ?

Last edited by footman9235; 04-29-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by footman9235
Ever since I got my beautiful new 2012 XJ, I've had a problem with the iPod/iPhone integration. Forget the fact, for a minute, that the entire LCD touchpanel is the slowest and buggiest information system I've ever had in a car. I've ever seen. Specifically, 1 out of 3 times I attempt to BROWSE the list of songs on my iPod/iPhone, the BROWSE button doesn't work. I press it repeatedly, and nothing happens. The consequence is, I can't select songs - I am limited to listening to whatever was last queued up. This happens whether it is my iPod 80g or my iPhone3GS 32g. I have tried shutting off the car but this never corrects the situation. I have tried disconnecting the device and reconnecting...no go. When it occurs, no other part of the information system fails to work. It's only the BROWSE button in the iPod/iPhone interface that is intermittent.

Have any of my fellow XJ owners encountered this problem ?
First you mean 2011. The 2012's are not on sale yet. They were just announced last week. Second, no I haven't had any issues like that.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check your cable. I found my old iPhone cable was not keeping a solid connect with the phone. When it bounces off the system seems to freeze up. A new cable seemed to solve the problem for me.

It would be nice though if it could do titles through BT wouldn't it?

Old 06-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Try updating the firmware on your Ipod. If it's an older Ipod and not a 5th gen, you might have more issues. Not all Ipods are created equal. Plus, I believe others have complained about older Iphone 3's not working properly and replacing them for IP4's and not having issues.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Dochands
It would be nice though if it could do titles through BT wouldn't it?
This feature is supposedly coming in iOS 5. Appears to be an Apple issue, not a Jaguar issue.

iOS 5 devices now transmit Album/Track/Artist data to Bluetooth Audio Devices | 9 to 5 Mac

Old 06-10-2011, 06:36 AM

Good to no and I guess no surprise given Apples slow roll out in their iOS of features most phones already have.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:56 AM

A bit off the subject but I just added a Mophie battery case to my iPhone. It uses a micro SD connector on the side at the base of the phone.

This is a much more secure connection for the phone and has eliminated all problems with keeping my phone securely connected.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:11 PM

Found this.

Apple device connectivity information
Issue
This SSM has been issued to assist with concerns relating to Apple device connectivity.

Action
Should a customer express concern regarding their Apple device connectivity please refer to the general information below:-
Apple device compatibility list
Note:
'Fully Supported' indicates that the device will have full functionality.
'Partially Supported' indicates that the device is not guaranteed to have full functionality.
'Not Supported' implies that the device will not connect to the vehicle.
Apple devices fully supported:-
Classic 6th / 7th Generation
Nano 3rd / 4th / 5th / 6th Generation
iTouch 2nd / 3rd (may be slow to respond) / 4th Generation,
iPhone 3rd / 3S (may be slow to respond) / 4th Generation
iPad 1st Generation (OS version 4.0 or later).
Apple devices partially supported:-
Classic 4th / 5th Generation
Nano 1st / 2nd Generation
iTouch 1st Generation
iPhone 1st Generation.
Apple devices not supported:-
Classic 1st / 2nd / 3rd Generation
Shuffle 1st / 2nd / 3rd / 4th Generation

File Types Supported
Currently XJ will support the following file types:-

Audio:- MP3 / WMA and M4A.
Video:- MPEG4 / DivX (version 3, 4, 5 or 5.2) / Xvid.
NOTE: Still image playback is not available.
iPhone Audio Issue
If an iPhone is connected via a USB cable for music and Bluetooth for other phone functions, the audio will only stream through the last connected port. Audio output from the speakers will only be obtained if the user chooses the correct mode.
To address this issue disconnect and reconnect your device's USB cable or open the iPod application on the iPhone, press the Bluetooth icon at the bottom of the screen and select 'Dock Connector' on the pop up.

To prevent this concern arising, we advise the customer to dock their device after the engine has been started.
Apple device known software issues
There have been issues regarding Apple's iPhone and iTouch models with OS version 4.0 and 4.1 that have resulted in slow browsing, slow connectivity and audio concerns which may include audio "drop out" and / or distortion.
To prevent this issue update the software of your device to OS version 4.2 or later.

Last edited by ExpatJag; 06-22-2011 at 03:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ExpatJag:
exjayelle (02-04-2012), hafren (03-02-2017)
Old 06-23-2011, 07:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thanks

Thanks very much ExpatJag. I'll be checking to make sure the firmware/OS on my iPod Classic is updated

Old 07-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Today I had my IPhone 4 plugged into the ipod connection and it worked fine. All functions worked including the browse button. However, if I leave the phone plugged in and turn the car off and then come back and restart the car the song that was playing will start again and then after about 5 seconds will go silent. It still shows the time of the song advancing like it's still playing but no sound. When I unplug and plug back in everythings fine again. It seems like an IPhone problem so I'm wondering if this is the "drop out" problem that is in xpatjag's post above. The IPhone software is up to date. Has anyone experienced this yet?

Old 07-11-2011, 04:07 PM

I just figured out how to stream from the IPhone using bluetooth. I'm impressed. It works fine and sounds fine. Now if Apple fixes the iOS 5 software to transmit music information through bluetooth.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
I just figured out how to stream from the IPhone using bluetooth. I'm impressed. It works fine and sounds fine. Now if Apple fixes the iOS 5 software to transmit music information through bluetooth.
I've tried connecting my iPhone via both bluetooth and via the cable. While both work fine for me, the sound quality is noticeably better via the cable compared to the bluetooth connection.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by another_geek
I've tried connecting my iPhone via both bluetooth and via the cable. While both work fine for me, the sound quality is noticeably better via the cable compared to the bluetooth connection.
I agree although the Bluetooth connection is convenient (and very cool) it definetly sounds better through the cable conection. I just use my iphone for phone conversations through bluetooth in the car and have an ipod always connected throught the cable for my music.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:26 PM

Well maybe this update coming out from Apple will help the sound quality also. I think it sounds better than the Satellite radio stations.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well maybe this update coming out from Apple will help the sound quality also. I think it sounds better than the Satellite radio stations.
Yeah definitely, anything sounds better than satellite radio, but I don't blame jaguar for this, satellite radio has sounded like crap in every car that I had it on. Although the programing is good, maybe if they dropped some stations they wouldn't have to compress the sound so much.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:30 PM

I use the Napster and Rhapsody apps on my Iphone and havent been able to get them to work through the cable. Only seems to work through bluetooth.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:09 PM

Ok so my Iphone 4 works with the dock connector some timey. When it is plugged it it shows up paused and not of the buttons will work. When I get it to work I still cant get a song to play from the browse menu.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:22 PM

Are you plugging it into the IPod dock or the USB? I think the IPod dock is used for playing from ITunes which is what a normal IPod or IPhone would be playing from. Did you try the USB dock?

Old 07-15-2011, 05:31 PM

I don't know if Napster or Rhapsody is like Spotify but Spotify sync's your songs as files so it works fine through the USB jack.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:30 AM

Are you plugging it into the IPod dock or the USB? I think the IPod dock is used for playing from ITunes which is what a normal IPod or IPhone would be playing from. Did you try the USB dock?
Both jacks see the Iphone and the Ipod function of the phone but thats about it. It will show of the data but be in a paused state. Now I have plugged and unplugged it enough to where I can get to play but the play button still doesnt work. But once it does work I can get Napster and Rhapsody to play but unlike the bluetooth connection I can not go forward or backward on tracks.

Quick Reply: XJ iPod/iPhone Integration Problems