XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

XJ (X351) Engine noise - new engine!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 03:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vasara
Yes, thats pretty normal. Looks Ok to me.
The crank pulley and right side (from front) camshaft pulley have outside edges for guidance so belt dont touch plastic cover when driven on deep water, when thoothed belt can "float" few mm over pulley by water cushion. (and have a risk of jump a thooth)
Edges well visible on video. Naturally engine itself work as edge on inner side.
Ok. Got it. Thank you sir

Old 07-13-2024, 05:33 AM
Default Question

Hello guys….
One question for youX351 3.0 d.……. Engine cooling fan……
Beeing summer… I didn't hear it working…..
I realised that under any situation I didn't hear my engine cooling fan like in other cars when.… stationary in traffic, you hear it turning on high revs.
Temp is soon on in the middle, on the gage.
If it was to be faulty…. It would show up on tester as an error?
Do you guys hear your fan? Outside the car or Inside?
Here….40+celsius….. In shadow. So….really hot
So…. How can I check it? When should it start? Does it have a over rpm for stationary and verry hot? Can someone please explain these ?

Old 07-14-2024, 11:17 AM
Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

When AirConn On the engine fan should always run.

Old 07-14-2024, 11:28 AM

When AirConn On the engine fan should always run.
At what speed? I don't know if it is capable of full blast…. Or only normal speed.
Its difficult to see it work…. With all the pipes

Old 08-10-2024, 02:13 PM

Hi guys
Hope everyone is ok... And vacations are great.
I have just a quick question for you.
On the passenger side for a left wheel drive, in the bumper, there is a smaller radiator. Something like 30/40 cm. Whats it for? Does anyone has a parts number? And…..if its the intercooler…. Like I've been told by the guys at the parts shop….. How is it affected if the fins ar in a bad way? Not leaking or anything…. But pretty much all the fins are bend and oxydayed. Bad airflow and subsequently bad cooling for.…… gases if its the intercooler? I mean….. Its in a worse shape then the front grill radiator. I know that if a radiator has too many closed fins it just doesn't cool anymore, not doing its job.
So… please…. Help with some ideas so I can take a decision about it!
Thank you

Old 08-10-2024, 03:32 PM

Its not intercooler, its auxilary cooler for engine coolant.
https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic...-radiator.html

Old 08-10-2024, 06:21 PM

Its not intercooler, its auxilary cooler for engine coolant.
https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic...-radiator.html
Thank you
So…… requires replacement if fins bad?

Old 08-11-2024, 02:22 AM

Without info how bad the fins are, i would say that Yes. The engine itself are fine with just with main radiator, but with twin turbo/EGR setup and high torgue output, the transmission oil (as well as engine oil) are cooled by engine coolant too. Therefore engine coolant system take quite much heat out from the overall powertrain.
There are second hand ones available and it is also possible to recondition the fins if they are only bend. (its time consuming job, but done it few times for historic vehicles, where new ones was not available...)

Old 08-11-2024, 04:02 AM

Not sure….. Seems its clogged and fins bend.
Should I try to find a better one or try to clean this one? . What could I use to clean it? On the out side…… because seems to be clogged….. Let it sink and soak in what substance to get the dirt out and after that try to straight the fins.
And what to use on the inside? What substance would work?

And a secondary question... The radiator for the climate compressor….. Can be cleaned inside? And if yes….. What substance to use also? And I guess blow it after with a air compressor? Thanks

And……. Left hand drive…. Right hand drive…. The radiator has the same position? Its the same part?

Last edited by danu99; 08-11-2024 at 04:07 AM.
Old 08-11-2024, 07:44 AM

I have been sorting out far worse than that.
Fins have been taken some hit, but they are far better than i expected by your description.
Yes, remove and sink it and let it soak. The dirt are mainly "road dirt" (sand, bitumium, salt..) so heavy solvent is not needed. You can first try just an car shampoo and hot water. That should get most of the sand away. If car shampoo is not effective enough use stronger solvent detergent meant for vehicle outside wash. In last effort use an quick acid based plumber cleaner, like Mr.Muscle with water, but be aware that these radiators are alumium and acid based attack quite hard on it, so rinse it well away with warm water afterwards. Then take pliers and reshape the fins you find bended. As long as you can see thru, the air will flow too.
Internally use standard coolant radiator flush available from car part shops.
For aircon radiator outside same process, but never done anything myself for insides. There are hardly needed to be cleaned inside, exept after major compressor failure. The aircon system have lubricant circulating, so solvent is needed.

Old 08-11-2024, 07:49 AM

I have been sorting out far worse than that.
Fins have been taken some hit, but they are far better than i expected by your description.
Yes, remove and sink it and let it soak. The dirt are mainly "road dirt" (sand, bitumium, salt..) so heavy solvent is not needed. You can first try just an car shampoo and hot water. That should get most of the sand away. If car shampoo is not effective enough use stronger solvent detergent meant for vehicle outside wash. In last effort use an quick acid based plumber cleaner, like Mr.Muscle with water, but be aware that these radiators are alumium and acid based attack quite hard on it, so rinse it well away with warm water afterwards. Then take pliers and reshape the fins you find bended. As long as you can see thru, the air will flow too.
Internally use standard coolant radiator flush available from car part shops.
For aircon radiator outside same process, but never done anything myself for insides. There are hardly needed to be cleaned inside, exept after major compressor failure. The aircon system have lubricant circulating, so solvent is needed.
Great answer. Thanks