XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

XJ/X351 headliner retainer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Default XJ/X351 headliner retainer replacement

Hi,

I'd need on my XJ (X351) of 2012 to replace the three central retainer clips of the headliner.

This ones numbered "18" here:

I found for the this part the reference C2D5008, superseding (or being superseded by? depends on the supplier) C2D22429, but not sure that it is correct because the pictures of the products:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-X35...-/163654002570

do not exactly match what I see on the car:

Also, I do not see clearly how these clips are affixed on the headliner... Any ideas? Can they be removed and exchanged without dismantling the whole headliner, which I'd like to avoid...?

Thanks in advance for any hints,

Thierry

Old 11-24-2019, 03:46 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

On my 2011, I did a complete removal on the headliner. The clips you linked will be fine. They sort of slide in and out, some may require a little more force/prying than others, but it's fairly easily and straightforward.

You may have to drop a sizable portion of the headliner to gain the access needed to those three without bending/crinkling the headliner board trying to swap them out. You may have to pop the headliner down from the front to the mid section. In this case, you'd have to remove the sun visors as well. Be careful not to break anymore of the clips around the windshield area. At the very least I would remove the front two screws located under the pop-up cover near the A pillars, and remove the rear handles to gain better access. The rear handles are a bit of a pain in the *** to get back in as there's a plastic bracket that is located in between the aluminium and the headliner board itself, for mine, I hot glued it in place and it made like a lot easier.

Another recommendation is if you're going to buy 3 clips, get 5 and have a few "just in case".

Last edited by SovietKitsch; 11-24-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:00 PM

Thanks a lot Sovietkitsch, what you mention is precisely the type of information I was looking for!
One question: when you say "slide", you mean they are clipped in horizontally, moving them in parallel to the headliner, not top-down, yes?

Old 11-25-2019, 12:29 AM

They're clipped in or "slide" in horizontally, yes.

There's actually two parts to the clips, the white plastic bit that actually goes into the outside frame and holds up the headliner, and the plastic bit where that piece sits/rests. When you do the swap you can either just swap out the white piece, or the entire "clip".

I'll try to see if I still have one floating around and will post here if I do.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Old 11-25-2019, 03:30 AM

Superb, thanks again SovietKitsch! :-)

Do you know by any chance which is the latest reference number for that part: depending on the seller (and I suppose what they have in stock...) they say either C2D5008 or C2D22429 is the last version.... as there has been an evolution, I suppose only the last one will, euh, last, and the penultimate may fail again...

Old 12-27-2019, 04:35 PM

Ok, so I got the clips from Jaguar, and there is a new reference, which is C2D25833... so possibly the two references I mentioned in the previous post had weaknesses also and should be avoided...

Quite strange how Jaguar, through the decades, is confronted with headliner issues, I remember the 80,90s and 2000 XJS and XJ had sagging issues with the glued versions... One could have thought the thermoformed versions would be much safer from that side, but again there are issues, now with the retainers... never had such a problem on any of my other cars, whatever the brand...

Anyhow, I tried to remove and replace the broken clips without removing the whole headliner, but it looks this is not possible... so, as I'm afraid removing the headliner may create more issues than it would solve, I will first try another option which is bonding...
I suppose that those extra-strong double-sided tapes that do now exist will not do the job, as they are intended to be used on walls, and their shearing resistance is much higher than the traction resistance they would need when put on a vibrating horizontal surface... esp. when this surface can get very hot in the sun...

So I'm considering giving it a try with silicone... tensile stress resistance of silicone, once dried up, is relatively high, as is resistance to vibrations and heat... And the glued surfaces can rather easily be separated again if needed, with some dental floss, which I'd preposition right from scratch...

Any thoughts?

Old 12-29-2019, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Well actually all headliners weaken and fall down. It's from the heat working on the glue.
I have found it does not depend on the brand of car and it's hot where I live so many, many cars drive around with parts of the headliner hanging or flapping around.
One good thing is if it's common where you live there are usually a number of skilled independent guys who can replace most any head liner.

It will be killer expensive at the dealer.

I have had no luck with glues or pins holding the material up. It's a foam backed material and once the foam gets old and starts falling apart there is no saving it.
There is nothing for the glue to hold on to.

Old 12-29-2019, 03:44 PM

Thanks Clubairth, but what is “sagging” of a few mm is not tissue but a hard plastic piece on which the tissue is glued, and which goes from window to window between the two sunroofs... this plastic part is normally affixed to the car roof via three retainers but they broke. To avoid full headliner removal, the
idea is to replace the retainers by some silicone...

Old 12-30-2019, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

I see sorry for the wrong info!
I think you will have a very hard time keeping the headliner in place without using those push pin style retainers.
As posted above it's not real simple to get to them either.

Old 12-30-2019, 02:06 PM

Indeed.. Well, I have nothing to lose trying the silicone way...
And if it does not hold, well, I may simply forget about this sagging... It's less than one cm at the lowest point, and nobody, including me, noticed it... The only one who did is a friend of mine who is a pro car mechanic...

Old 01-02-2020, 03:21 AM

Ok, giving it a last try before the silicone, I could remove the central retainer quite easily, by inserting a medium flat screwdriver in its central slit and twisting... before I was trying to insert a smaller tool between the retainer and the headliner which seems now obviously not the good way.

Inserting the new retainer was also very easy...
let’s see if this holds with only one clip...the new one seems a bit stronger than the one I removed...

if not I do now think, considering the strength one needs to apply is in fact quite low and no leveraging on the headliner is necessary, that it’s possible to replace the two lateral retainers also, if one does not have too big hands...

Old 01-02-2020, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Good to hear!
Hope it fixes your head liner for good.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:03 PM

It may be harder to get to the other two as there's two mounting points on the sides with the handlebars in the back and the one bolt up front keeping everything more snug.

You were able to get in there and change the middle clip out?

If it helps, I found a diagram of all mounting points. The clips I used were C2D5008's.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:16 PM

Yep, could change it quite easely, see above.
The last clip reference, received from JLR, is C2D25833

Old 01-14-2021, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey - I wonder if you can guide a newby through the headliner removal or have any suggestions: I have a 2010 XJL Supersport and have water ingress in the passenger footwell. A garage has suggested removing the roof liner to get at the sunroof drain lines/holes but I gather that is quite herculean - can the drains be accessed and rodded with strimmer cord from the exit point? Or do I have to bite the bullet on this one? Another possibility is going the whole hog and replacing the roof cassette because of the latent design flaw.....any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Steve

Old 01-15-2021, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

That has not been reported before on this model of Jaguar?
It is/was real common on the old S Type.

Do you have the manual? It's free and posted at the top of the forum in the stickies section. It's very handy but also very large. You will want a copy anyway.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is awesome and has saved me a world of pain! Thank you