XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

XJL Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013 | 10:42 AM
|
Veteran Member
Default XJL Navigation

I had posted before saying that the 2012 XJL's navigation was way better than the one that came with my '08XK. I think I may be changing my mind, unless someone can give me pointers that I am missing.

I had only used navigation rarely in my XJL but, when I did, it tended to pick what may have been seen as the shortest route with no regards to the quality of the roads. It had taken me through some really gut-wrenching neighborhoods before, instead of keeping me on the faster, safer main routes.

Yesterday we went to dinner to a friend who lives in nearly wilderness environment in the Sierra Nevada mountain ranges. They warned me not to use Apple navigation as it would hopelessly get us lost. So, I have 3 other means; my Garmin would not even find the address so, it was out early.

My Galaxy S3 with Google Nav accepted the address, so did the XJL. Both agreed in instructions as long as we were on the Freeway, taking the same exit. About half way to our isolated destination the XJL nav instructed us to turn right into a dark, solid pine forest using a very rough looking single lane road. Google indicated to stay on the main road.

As we passed the XJL nav turning point, it tried to make us turn on all of upcoming dirt roads and finally totally lost its composure, demanding U-turns even in the very middle of a long bridge spanning the canyon. Google kept calm and determined to keep us on the main road.

Finally, the XJL nav recovered, found itself and kept on giving us almost identical instructions to Google's. But, deep in the forest and onto a long gravel road, the XJL nav finally indicated that we reached our destination and finished its instruction. We were in the middle of nowhere in a thick forest with not a single house or structure in view.

Google still showed 0.4 miles to go and held our hands all the way to the house, even instructing us to make a right turn directly into their driveway.

What the comparison had showed that the Jag nav is very unreliable to keep you on good roads and out of potential major situations that can arise when directed to near-abandoned places or keeping you out of less than reassuring neighborhoods. I had tried the nav settings and picked what appeared to be the best option to use major roads but, wondering if I missed something that would do just that? As it is, I can not trust the Jag nav at all as it seems rather dangerous.

Wonder if anyone had found a good solution for the Jag nav to concentrate on the best route vs. shortest route? Google can do it in excellent ways, I'd hope Jag could do something similar...?

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 06-18-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-19-2013 | 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

It sounds like you went on a perilous voyage. I am sure, it was still joyous in a cabin of a XJ.

The number of times i have used the SatNav in my XF, it guided me to the destination without any problems.

I wouldn't think the system is the XF would be any different, but have you compared the two?

Old 06-19-2013 | 10:06 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Executive
It sounds like you went on a perilous voyage. I am sure, it was still joyous in a cabin of a XJ.

The number of times i have used the SatNav in my XF, it guided me to the destination without any problems.

I wouldn't think the system is the XF would be any different, but have you compared the two?
The Nav systems seem to be nearly identical in my 2012 XJL and in my 2012 XF. I think in 2012 when they updated the XF they pretty much transferred much of the XJ touchscreen/voice control functions. Kind of convenient if you happen to own both. Don't have to learn an other system.

I'm yet to have a good experience with the XJL nav. It says in the manual that it "learns" routes. Yet, every single time as I head home using the nav over the same route (just for trying to learn the system) when I get to a fork where the main Hwy 80 splits into 80 and 50, I always take 50. Yet, after all those times it still insists that I should take 80. If it was my student I'd flunk it!

I just showed today to some friends that when I do voice control and say the destination is "Home" the screen gives me an option for "Adding Waypoints". So, I announce; "Add Waypoint" - to which command the little lady voice cheerfully responds, - "Waypoint Added". That, of course, without asking me what that waypoint might be. Irritating, as if there is a way to add a waypoint by voice it is certainly not intuitive, to say the least. It is not even intuitive to add it by typing on the screen. I'm yet to succeed without consulting the manual or someone else.

Did you see the new 2013 JD Powers reliability listings? Jaguar has placed rather decently this time, almost equal to Toyota and ahead of all major German luxury brands. (Still not as high as in the British JD Power ratings where, if I remember correctly, the XF topped the list). But, JD Power changed their criteria this year; instead of listing actual failures as a measurement, they now take into account what customers feel that their cars/systems should deliver and if it does not, that is a deduction. Even if nothing breaks. In the case of Jaguar, I am confident that despite the way better-than-average placing, the electronics kept the Jag from being near the very top of the list.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 06-19-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-20-2013 | 09:37 AM

While I haven't had any problems with my '13 XJL SC navigation, I learned very quickly and very early on that I shouldn't rely on the vehicle's innovative navigation/infotainment system. It's one of the worst in the luxury market if you want my humble opinion. But...that's not why I purchased the car. I purchased it to be the hottest thing on the roadway

Here's what I did to fully utilize navigation. Check out proclipusa.com and order a clip that is custom to your make/model and to your phone (I would recommend the universal clip if you change phones a lot). That clip company is the best in the industry. Just use your phone/Google for all navigation needs. They update their software more frequently and it's a lot more sophisticated/advanced than the Jag's system is.

EVERY review I've seen done on the XJ/XJL have all made the same comments...terrible in-cabin technology system, but the best looking thing on the road.

D

The following users liked this post:
axr6 (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013 | 03:21 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dustincarter
While I haven't had any problems with my '13 XJL SC navigation, I learned very quickly and very early on that I shouldn't rely on the vehicle's innovative navigation/infotainment system. It's one of the worst in the luxury market if you want my humble opinion. But...that's not why I purchased the car. I purchased it to be the hottest thing on the roadway

Here's what I did to fully utilize navigation. Check out proclipusa.com and order a clip that is custom to your make/model and to your phone (I would recommend the universal clip if you change phones a lot). That clip company is the best in the industry. Just use your phone/Google for all navigation needs. They update their software more frequently and it's a lot more sophisticated/advanced than the Jag's system is.

EVERY review I've seen done on the XJ/XJL have all made the same comments...terrible in-cabin technology system, but the best looking thing on the road.

D
Agree, I need to just accept that Google nav is better and set it up with a clip.

Albert

Old 06-20-2013 | 09:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6

Did you see the new 2013 JD Powers reliability listings? Jaguar has placed rather decently this time, almost equal to Toyota and ahead of all major German luxury brands. (Still not as high as in the British JD Power ratings where, if I remember correctly, the XF topped the list). But, JD Power changed their criteria this year; instead of listing actual failures as a measurement, they now take into account what customers feel that their cars/systems should deliver and if it does not, that is a deduction. Even if nothing breaks. In the case of Jaguar, I am confident that despite the way better-than-average placing, the electronics kept the Jag from being near the very top of the list.

Albert
The British ones i saw, but not the US version. I will have to look for it.

Hopefully they will continue indelibly on the amazing path they have been on for the past 2-3 years.

Old 06-21-2013 | 06:05 AM
Veteran Member

The meaning of "terrible" is different for different people I guess.

I don't (personally) think the "in cabin" technology of the XJL (or my XKR) is "terrible". Could Jaguar improve its' in car technology? certainly. Is it "terrible"? Not in my opinion.

With all due respect AX, a trip to an isolated mountain/wooded location may be a scenario outside of the norm? I guess Google getting it right is the standard? Maybe the NSA likes that as well... The nav systems in Jag are from a third party provider (NavTech? not sure who) - maybe they should get Google to build them an Android device that is connected to the net. There's many things that I could help them with in this area...

I know of *NO* nav system that keeps up with/decides whether a neighborhood is a bad one or not and then decides whether *you* should go through it. We're not *really* advocating that it should do this are we?????

Last edited by rscultho; 06-21-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-21-2013 | 12:56 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rscultho
I know of *NO* nav system that keeps up with/decides whether a neighborhood is a bad one or not and then decides whether *you* should go through it. We're not *really* advocating that it should do this are we?????
The issue of the "neighborhood" is not the real issue here. The real issue is that in my experience the Jag nav is directing you to routes that are far from the optimal. In case of that "neighborhood" issue, I ran into an accident zone on a major interstate (Hwy 80) and quickly exited the freeway before getting bottled up in the stalled mess. Not being familiar with the area, I asked the Jag nav to take me "home". I turned on the suburban-style streets and proceeded in a parallel direction with the accident location and expected that it would bring me back to the same freeway at the next on-ramp, a mile down the road.

Instead, it ended up taking me through downtown Sacramento with its horrendous rush-hour traffic, then off into residential neighborhoods and finally through that particularly bad neighborhood, all this using really common little city streets instead of the many thoroughfare roads that exist there. It ended up taking me all the way across the city to the parallel freeway many miles away and through heavy traffic.

In the case of my recently described trip, there was absolutely no excuse for the nav to try to make me turn into a dinky forest road 15 miles from my destination when a major highway in excellent condition was leading to the same destination. That is the kind of nav. directing that has costs lives before. Now, if I could figure out how to put in a waypoint, that would have helped, as I could have named the minor township along the major highway. Of course, Google map seems to "know" those things without having to rely on waypoints.

Those two instances were not the only issues where the XJ nav made the wrong decision. My wife and I had laughed off an other attempt where it also tried to direct us onto a dirt road, way short of our destination. Then, when I just drive-by the obviously poor suggestion, it starts instructing me to really compound the problem and make turns, U-turns that would not work, at all. Even my old Garmin makes much better route selections and provides clearer instructions.

Albert

Old 06-25-2013 | 09:18 PM

Rs...I like where you're going with Google Maps/Android/iOS intergration. That's the future of in-cabin technology for auto companies...I just wish Jaguar would have done something like that, or even remotely close to that in their '13 models. I guess my term "terrible" was a little harsh, but I'm comparing it to just about any current vehicle on the roadway. A friend of mine recently purchased a '13 Nissan Altima, and his navigation system is far more advanced that mine, and much more responsive on the touch screen. I realize they are utilizing a vendor, but for a 90K+ priced vehicle, I want my car to look awesome on the outside, and be filled with state-of-the-art technology on the inside.

At least...that's what is important to me. I'm confident they will fix it in the next year or so...I haven't been quiet about this topic on any of the survey's or customer service follow-ups that have been sent to me. But then again...I'm just 1 customer

D

Old 06-26-2013 | 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dustincarter
Rs...I like where you're going with Google Maps/Android/iOS intergration. That's the future of in-cabin technology for auto companies...I just wish Jaguar would have done something like that, or even remotely close to that in their '13 models. I guess my term "terrible" was a little harsh, but I'm comparing it to just about any current vehicle on the roadway. A friend of mine recently purchased a '13 Nissan Altima, and his navigation system is far more advanced that mine, and much more responsive on the touch screen. I realize they are utilizing a vendor, but for a 90K+ priced vehicle, I want my car to look awesome on the outside, and be filled with state-of-the-art technology on the inside.

At least...that's what is important to me. I'm confident they will fix it in the next year or so...I haven't been quiet about this topic on any of the survey's or customer service follow-ups that have been sent to me. But then again...I'm just 1 customer

D
Given the possibilities of the things Jaguar *could* do with the in cabin technology I do wonder why they choose the direction they have chosen. I know I could personally redesign their systems and I could program them as well if I had too. I know they invest money in these systems and it probably is not a small amount, so I just don't understand why they do not hire someone that understands how to design modern technology that would serve the people that buy these cars.

I *know* there are AI systems already in production that could be licensed for use in these cars and be made to integrate with the cars systems.

I just don't understand why Jaguar does not do these things...if they are gonna spend the money they need to do them.

Last edited by rscultho; 06-26-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2013 | 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
The issue of the "neighborhood" is not the real issue here. The real issue is that in my experience the Jag nav is directing you to routes that are far from the optimal. In case of that "neighborhood" issue, I ran into an accident zone on a major interstate (Hwy 80) and quickly exited the freeway before getting bottled up in the stalled mess. Not being familiar with the area, I asked the Jag nav to take me "home". I turned on the suburban-style streets and proceeded in a parallel direction with the accident location and expected that it would bring me back to the same freeway at the next on-ramp, a mile down the road.

Instead, it ended up taking me through downtown Sacramento with its horrendous rush-hour traffic, then off into residential neighborhoods and finally through that particularly bad neighborhood, all this using really common little city streets instead of the many thoroughfare roads that exist there. It ended up taking me all the way across the city to the parallel freeway many miles away and through heavy traffic.

In the case of my recently described trip, there was absolutely no excuse for the nav to try to make me turn into a dinky forest road 15 miles from my destination when a major highway in excellent condition was leading to the same destination. That is the kind of nav. directing that has costs lives before. Now, if I could figure out how to put in a waypoint, that would have helped, as I could have named the minor township along the major highway. Of course, Google map seems to "know" those things without having to rely on waypoints.

Those two instances were not the only issues where the XJ nav made the wrong decision. My wife and I had laughed off an other attempt where it also tried to direct us onto a dirt road, way short of our destination. Then, when I just drive-by the obviously poor suggestion, it starts instructing me to really compound the problem and make turns, U-turns that would not work, at all. Even my old Garmin makes much better route selections and provides clearer instructions.

Albert
Wasn't trying to make light of your situation...

Jaguar does need to make better choices with their technology partners, and they need people that can evaluate the effectiveness of these systems that are going into their cars based on what should be going into the cars to serve their customers. I just don't know what they are thinking, because this situation - especially given the money I am fairly sure they spend - could be "fixed".