XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

XJR review - by Autocar

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts
Default XJR review - by Autocar

Here it is: the return of the hottest big Jaguar. And this XJR is the most powerful yet. The latest incarnation of the luxury super-saloon comes during a purple patch for Jaguar's performance models: the XFR remains one of the best supersaloons around, the F-type is gaining plaudits and the recent XKR-S GT represents more than a simple test bed for new developments.

The XJR's figures are certainly impressive: 542bhp and 502lb ft, which is 39bhp and 42lb ft up on the XJ Supersport with which it shares its engine. The all-aluminium, quad-cam 5.0-litre V8 features the same Rootes-type, twin vortex supercharger as the Supersport, but has specific electronic engine calibration and a new exhaust system. Jaguar claims 0-60mph in 4.4sec, 50-75mph in 2.46sec and a top speed limited to 174mph.

Click here for the rest......Jaguar XJR Review | Autocar

Attached Thumbnails XJR review - by Autocar-xjr_seattle_swb-9_0.jpg  
Old 08-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Here is another by GTSpirit.com

Road Test: 2014 Jaguar XJR Review

Old 08-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

It's a given that all of the Jags are attractive, fast, fun to drive vehicles. However, I never see anything about interior technology improvements. It's always about the drivetrain. Why can't they at least "catch up" with the competition in the technology category? Best of both worlds shouldn't be too much to ask for 100K automobiles should it?

Old 08-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

"We have reservations about the ride quality, though. The XJR jittered over the odd piece of scarred tarmacadam on our generally smooth test route. "

Sorry for picking on the apparently only negative but, this has been a real issue for me with both of our Jaguar XJL and XF. For the first time last night I drove my wife's new XF along my 150 mile commute and, once again I am not thrilled with the ride.

While the XF is ultra delightful for tossing around at my local twisty roads, it has the same "too hard" suspension. Now, if I drove and all out sports car, I would expect a trade off; a hard ride for great handling. But, in an XJL or even and XF it is out of place. After being beaten for 3 hours by every single, yet mostly invisible, road irregularities, I came to the conclusion that Jaguar apparently must have forgotten about the role of "shock absorbers". Neither the XJL nor the XF absorb any shocks from the pavement. Instead, they transmit all of them to the driver. Some people equate that with "great road feel", while I equate it with poor suspension design. The shock absorbers SHOULD take out all those minor road imperfections and provide a calm, smooth ride experience while still delivering good handling. I know it can be done, it has/had been done by millions of cars.

Not sure what is the issue here. After test driving in quick succession the F-type V8, the 2013 XJL and the V6 XF, the 2014 F-type appeared to absorb the very road shocks much better than the XJL and the XF did over the very same road section. I simply do not understand why Jaguar chose to have such stiff shock absorber compression settings on the two sedans.

At the least, while the ride of the XF was just as stiff as the XJL but, the XF did not have that ultra-irritating vibration that my XJL still has. No doubt it is going back to the dealer for the 5th time with the same ride vibration issues. I am sick and tired of it at this point.

Albert

Old 08-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Albert,

I think if you took the F type on the same 150mile ride, you would find it just as hard riding. I am surprised you found the XF unbearable as well, since it's got the 18" wheels on it.

You may not like the German sedans, but E550 would suit you better on the long trips. My test drive confirmed that it rides much smoother than the XF.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
Albert,

I think if you took the F type on the same 150mile ride, you would find it just as hard riding. I am surprised you found the XF unbearable as well, since it's got the 18" wheels on it.

You may not like the German sedans, but E550 would suit you better on the long trips. My test drive confirmed that it rides much smoother than the XF.
I think, "unbearable" is too strong a description. "Uncomfortable", "needlessly hard", would be closer. Yes, I would like to take the F-type for my 150 miles, ride over the same pavements. But, I could not help exulting during my F-type test drive how much better it was absorbing.

This is something you will not likely to notice if your driving includes shorter distances over smooth pavements. I had only driven my wife's XF near our house over good pavements and enjoyed the handling tremendously. Still do. But, they should have done a better job at "shock absorbing".

Way back, you remember Executive, when I compared the XF to my friend's Lexus. Well, even the Lexus surprised me by transmitting more road imperfections to the driver than I would have expected from a Lexus. That car also had 18" wheels and tires. Of course, when we look closer the 18" wheel/tire combo on the XF, it has exactly the same sidewall size as the 19" on the XJL. Thus, you do not gain any additional sidewall size or flex on the XF. The total diameter of the XF tire is 1" less than the XJL tire, thus the same sized sidewalls.

I used to feel that it was impossible to get a smooth ride out of these short sidewalled tires. My friend, the owner of that Lexus and the owner of a well respected Goodyear tire dealership/race car constructor, agreed with that. The F-type, with its 20" wheels and apparently great shock absorption, left me with doubts regarding that assumption. Yes, I need a longer drive in the F-type to fully confirm that.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 08-12-2013 at 12:02 PM.