XJ XJ12 ( X305 ) 1995 - 1997

Aid cooling fans stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 02:35 PM
Received 118 Likes on 52 Posts
Default When do the cooling fans run?

So a few months back after my 30 min drive home from the airport, I noticed the cooling fans weren’t running as normal when I shut off the engine. So kept an eye on it as I do this drive all the time and they seem to have stopped working where before they would run a few minutes after shutdown. I first check the two 30 amp fuses with an ohm meter and they were good. Next I popped off the connector to the radiator temp sensor and using a paper clip I was able to activate the fans in both high and low speeds, but not every time I made the contact. So I decided it must be the relay, so I took it apart and it was in great shape no corrosion inside, the contacts were fairly worn out though no surprise with the amperage these fans draw, so I decided to replace the relay that came out (LNA6702AA) with the new one that is suppose to be an exact replacement, LNA6802AB. Now the fans come on every time I activate them from the radiator temp connector, but still not from a long drive home. So I decided it had to be the radiator temp switch. Replaced it with OEM jaguar one as well (DBC10013) and still no fans. Testing the old one with a heat gun and watching the continuity it was fine it seems.

So doing the thing I hate, replacing parts until the problem goes away didn’t work. Now I’m wondering if there is even a problem at all. When exactly do these fans get called to come on? Also it’s hard to believe they really do that much. It just drives me nuts they do not work anymore.

Any thoughts on what else I’m missing? I’ve heard they are suppose to come on with the AC but that doesn’t happen. My car has the single pressure switch on the AC so I think that option was removed.

Last edited by John Baker; 11-19-2020 at 06:00 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:36 PM
Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

No help to offer, but I'm very curious to learn this too. I have not noticed the electric fans running at all on my car, though I haven't been looking out for it. The mechanical fan by itself seems to move a lot of air.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 999 Likes on 678 Posts

John/John,

"Trust the car". The fans aren't supposed to come on unless the coolant temperature hits about 100C (low speed) and 110C (high speed). I find that in cooler ambient temps I can park without the fans running after shutdown. After today's trip, it was about 83F when I got home and the fans were not running. I take this to be a sign of a healthy cooling system.

In Oregon you might not ever hear those fans come on!

Of course it allso depends on type of driving, highway or city, and A/C use.

In the AZ summer (which just barely ended!) I usually hear the fans on low speed after I park. Rarely (only a couple of times this year) did they kick up to high speed. That's after 110+F city driving. My senses are on high alert when driving under those conditions! This summer we had 50 days of 110+F in the Phoenix area. Hottest summer on record. The car handled it very well, although I did try to minimize the stress. On one drive I remember the cooling fans hitting high speed a few times while I was still driving but stopped in traffic. The massive engine driven fan plus low speed electrics couldn't keep up.

I don't know if you can edit the title, John. If so, can you fix "Aid". Or may I suggest "When do the cooling fans run?"

The following 2 users liked this post by SleekJag12:
944play (11-20-2020), John Baker (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 12:10 PM
Received 118 Likes on 52 Posts

SleekJag thanks so much for the information. It sounds like I was trying to fix a problem that just doesn’t exist.