XJ XJ12 ( X305 ) 1995 - 1997

Exact Fit Custom Sun Screens

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 995 Likes on 676 Posts
Default Exact Fit Custom Sun Screens

I discovered this UK company which can fit the X300 (via X308). Anyone bought their product? Or heard of them?

Nigel Marston Motorsport

Apparently they can fit many makes and models, although their photos and descriptions are generic for every vehicle. 92 pounds a set.

Are there other options for exact fit screens as an alternative to film tinting?

Old 06-27-2021, 10:03 AM
Received 253 Likes on 160 Posts

Well following your post I have just order them so will let you know when they arrive!
The 92 is without VAT, so for me it came to £110.
These are made to order so should get them in a week or so.

I have a similar set on my X350 (which I LOVE) but the Jaguar OEM ones so it will be interesting to see how they compare.

Last edited by Cafcpete; 06-27-2021 at 02:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SleekJag12 (06-28-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for jumping right in Pete! Your VAT sure adds a lot to the price. Seems like a dis-incentive to buy.

I will probably get these too, unless I happen to discover another US dealer. Since you are expecting a set I will wait for your report. I'm anticipating a good quality product for this money and "sounds like" it is.

Cafcpete (06-29-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 10:57 AM

(Note if pictures don't seem to be showing properly, click on one and scroll though with the arrows)

Well Richard they have arrived very quickly and I am pleased up to a point, and glad you found them as we are going on holiday soon and our dog would get hot without them.

Firstly they are made by a company called
https://www.carshades.co.uk/privacy-...ar-p-4995.html
and if ordered directly from there, they are a lot cheaper, £90 INC VAT!

Secondly, and this is not really their fault, the rear screen shade (comes in two parts) has cut out for a shelf mounted 3rd break light. This IS fitted on the X308 (which these are sold for) but sadly not on my X306, maybe USA cars have them?
They also don't fit because I have a stuck on car phone arial so can't use these, but all is not lost because I didn't want them for this window as I have the built in 2 part blind.

Thirdly they use small stick on metal hooks (2 per rear window) and I don't know how long they will last and they didn't send any spares!

Good points are they fit very well and come in a nice (LARGE) storage bag, and can be taken in and out in no time.

In fact I would have been delighted if I didn't have the official version for my X350 which show the way these can to be done lol
These have plastic fittings and fold so small you can store them behind your seat!

So in summary, they do the job very nicely, and if you fit and forget then the fact they take a lot of storage when not fitted won't be a problem!
Also I have a money off checkout code if you do decide to order them

I didn't see a USA shipping option, but when I want things from the USA and a company doesn't ship to UK I use ship7.com that gives you a unique forwarding address.

Fitted with window open

Gap for 3rd brake light (which I don't have)

Phone arial fitting which means they would not fit anyway!

1/4 light fitted wonderfully

Looking out with window open

Comparison with front window

Placed on the outside so you can see how they would have fitted if not for the arial lol

Small metal stick on clip (2 per door)

All 6 parts

All parts and storage bag

This is the X350 storage bag

X350 Bag and blinds

X350 Blinds expanded

X350 plastic fittings

X350 blind fitted

X350 and X306 side by side storage bags

Last edited by Cafcpete; 07-03-2021 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Photos weren't showing properly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cafcpete:
1 of 19 (07-04-2021), SleekJag12 (07-04-2021)
Old 07-04-2021, 02:12 AM
Veteran Member

Peter

Not only do I "like" your post, but a million THANKS for it! You've gone well above and beyond your duty, my friend. "Promote this man!" I could not have hoped for a more thorough and prompt first-hand reply to my simple question.

I read through with great interest and I am quite impressed. Interesting point about the 3rd brake light. USA X300s do have the 3rd brake light. There may be a slight interference with it since I think the X308 has a rounded 3rd light compared to the X300's rectangular style (hadn't though of that before now). Your antenna conflict is unfortunate, so few of these cars have one! I think you installed the factory car phone? Your car is blessed with factory roll-up sunshades in the rear window and those are nowhere to be found so you still win.

You've covered all the bases and I'll be ordering a set. I plan to leave them in place all the time.

Your hedges bloom beautifully, helped along no doubt by the two awesome Jaguars parked by them! Cheers!

Old 07-04-2021, 02:43 AM

You are very welcome!
Dont buy directly from that link if you have a LWB
If you click on the search you will see both options

Old 07-04-2021, 03:12 AM
Veteran Member

SWB for mine, as all USA 95 XJ12s were short and all 96 were long. Interesting that their photo is of an X300 not a 308.

I'm sure someone in your neighborhood will make you an offer on your unneeded rear panels to offset the extra cost.

Are they sun screens, shade screens, sun shades, mesh screens, sun blockers? I found it tedious to search for these as the market is flooded with generics and "windscreen sun blockers"!

Old 07-04-2021, 04:40 AM

I think the SWB has a much better profile but understand the need for more legroom in the back!

What they are called is a minefield lol
Jaguar don’t know ether, calling them sunshades here
https://accessories.jaguar.com/us/en...-side-windows/

but on the instructions that came with the X350 they call them sunblinds.

My car phone was factory installed, but I have currently removed the handset as it was mounted on a pad in the passenger footwell and uncomfortable for my wife. I have bought a new armrest with cutout for the phone (I don’t use the useless cup holder anyway) which I hope to fit at some point soon.

You could try to use the code “LOVEMYSHADES” at checkout for an extra 10% off…..

SleekJag12 (07-05-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member

My set of "sunshades" (as Nigel Marston calls them) is being sent out now. NM has much lower shipping cost to USA (22 vs 53 pounds). The other site also has a notice about the courier charging me VAT and a customs fee prior to delivery, which I have not been subject to before with UK deliveries. ?

I will update with my results, hopefully within 2 weeks. I think my preferred name for these items will be "sun screens" since this is the valley of the SUN.

Also this is the valley of the Phoenix SUNS (NBA basketball), who are presently competing in the championship finals for the first time in 28 years. The seven game series is presently Suns 2, Milwaukee Bucks 1. GO SUNS.

Cafcpete (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

Go Bucks Go!

SleekJag12 (07-14-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member
Default UPDATE

Well, the Suns couldn't hold up to the Milwaukee Bucks. The Suns lost four games in a row. The Bucks deserved to win. They have a more experienced team, a much stronger fan base, and hadn't won a championship in 50 years! Oh and that guy named Giannis is an asset the Suns couldn't match. But this experience will help grow the Suns fan base in Phoenix and they will be fun to watch in the near future. There is a lot of talent there and most of it is pretty young.

Now it is all forgotten because the Olympics are on. Why isn't Giannis there? They might need him. He is truly a freak of Basketball.

And regarding the Window Sun Blinds?

This fine quality product arrived very quickly. Shipping time was THREE DAYS via Fedex from Sunderland to Scottsdale! The frame is a substantial rigid metal, will not bend easily, and the mesh is consistently tight on the frames. I am very happy with them.

My installation was not so easy with the rear window shades, because of the conflict with the 3rd center brake light. It was worse than I anticipated. The shades would not fit with the center brake light in place. So, the brake light came off and it is propped up into position from the deck. However, the black masking on the rear window blocks some of the lighted area since the light is now in a lower position. Again, this is not the fault of the maker since these are built for the X308 which has a lower profile center light.

I am going to get an XJ8 center brake light, which will fit the shape of the sun blinds. It might still be covered somewhat by the masking on the window.

There was also a slight conflict with the remote antenna connection at the top of the rear glass. I ended up pulling off the pip wire connector to give more space for the shade frame. The remote still works fine. I don't know if this connection is different for the XJ8.

I'm still happy with them. They are very well done and unique. I think they suit the car well. I'll post some pictures at a later time.

Here is the XJ8 center brake light, as seen added to Brendan's @b1mcp fabulous UK XJ6. A much lower profile.

Last edited by SleekJag12; 07-27-2021 at 02:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SleekJag12:
b1mcp (07-27-2021), Cafcpete (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 03:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

I remember the last one 50 years ago being soooo proud of the Bucks.
I was 10.
Maybe we have the privilege of watching the next Michael Jordan.
Wisconsin sure hopes so!

SleekJag12 (07-28-2021)