XJ XJ12 ( X305 ) 1995 - 1997

Hard brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 11:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hard brake pedal

Some times when i apply the brakes , the pedal feels like it is stuck, but if i push harder it seems to work just fine. It is quite alarming at first but it does stop the car just fine. Has anyone else out there had this experience?

Old 02-11-2021, 02:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this trouble too, usually on a cool morning I would start it up, hit reverse to back out of the driveway and the pedal would be hard. After a few stops it worked fine.

After a month or so it started doing it more often at different times, then after about 6 months or so it stayed hard when trying to brake, it required a fair bit of pressure to stop so you really had to plan ahead.

During this time I had replaced vacuum lines, pcv, orings, upper and lower intake gaskets but still no joy.

I ended up having to replace the vacuum booster. It was not pretty. Master cylinder had to come off, bolts hard to get to, stuff at brake pedal etc. It is a little tricky but not impossible. Took me and another person about 2 hours I would guess. I am certain I could not do it without help. Needed to twist the booster and have someone on the inside snake the rods in and work them in place. I had a box or something outside the driver door for my body to rest on while I was on my back or side trying to wrangle everything back in place and get the bolts secured.

Old 03-15-2021, 04:33 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like your brake booster is not working. Push on the brakepedal before you start the engine. When you start the engine you should feel it being Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox "sucked" in.

Last edited by benmickel; 03-16-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BudL1te
I had this trouble too, usually on a cool morning I would start it up, hit reverse to back out of the driveway and the pedal would be hard. After a few stops it worked fine.

After a month or so it started doing it more often at different times, then after about 6 months or so it stayed hard when trying to brake, it required a fair bit of pressure to stop so you really had to plan ahead.

During this time I had replaced vacuum lines, pcv, orings, upper and lower intake gaskets but still no joy.

I ended up having to replace the vacuum booster. It was not pretty. Master cylinder had to come off, bolts hard to get to, stuff at brake pedal etc. It is a little tricky but not impossible. Took me and another person about 2 hours I would guess. I am certain I could not do it without help. Needed to twist the booster and have someone on the inside snake the rods in and work them in place. I had a box or something outside the driver door for my body to rest on while I was on my back or side trying to wrangle everything back in place and get the bolts secured.
hi there just wondering if when you changed the servo did the car work fine