XJ XJ12 ( X305 ) 1995 - 1997

Purge valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 07:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Purge valve

I am still trying to get my xj12 working, and the engine has been all but rebuilt at this point, I have had a code that has been showing up the entire time I’ve been working on the car talking about a purge valve? I don’t remember the exact code because I didn’t work on it today. I know for a fact it is about a malfunctioning purge valve in the car, and the engine seems to have something wrong with the fuel to air mixture. Any advice on what a purge valve would do in this car? And where on earth is it located? Thanks for any info, I am seriously stumped.

Old 02-26-2020, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 997 Likes on 676 Posts

Not to worry. Purge valves have a few vapor hoses and sometimes they come off or split with age. Its pretty easy to check this out.

You have two purge valves. They are set into the fender rail down behind the left headlight, below the left side air intake box.

So you will want to remove that box (it pops up from its two rubber mounting posts under it), slide the air horn out of the fender hole, and check the air hoses around the 2 valves. They will each have a hose/pipe that runs to each idle air intake valve. The other ends of the hoses (at the bottom of the valves) go to the fuel tank vapor canister. At certain times the ECM will tell the purge valves to open to let stored fuel tank vapors into the engine to burn. Also be sure the wire connectors are clean and snug.

You will also find the cruise control air pump and dump valve in that area. Might as well check the hoses to those items too. I believe they reside above the purge valves.

It is also possible that a vapor hose under the vehicle has been damaged. Most of the run is via metal pipes, but there are some rubber connecting hoses at the vapor canisters under the car that connect to the fuel tank too. But check the easier stuff first.

The following users liked this post:
1 of 19 (02-29-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 10:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
Not to worry. Purge valves have a few vapor hoses and sometimes they come off or split with age. Its pretty easy to check this out.

You have two purge valves. They are set into the fender rail down behind the left headlight, below the left side air intake box.

So you will want to remove that box (it pops up from its two rubber mounting posts under it), slide the air horn out of the fender hole, and check the air hoses around the 2 valves. They will each have a hose/pipe that runs to each idle air intake valve. The other ends of the hoses (at the bottom of the valves) go to the fuel tank vapor canister. At certain times the ECM will tell the purge valves to open to let stored fuel tank vapors into the engine to burn. Also be sure the wire connectors are clean and snug.

You will also find the cruise control air pump and dump valve in that area. Might as well check the hoses to those items too. I believe they reside above the purge valves.

It is also possible that a vapor hose under the vehicle has been damaged. Most of the run is via metal pipes, but there are some rubber connecting hoses at the vapor canisters under the car that connect to the fuel tank too. But check the easier stuff first.
Thanks for the reply, I’ll definitely look and see if I can identify this thing, do you know if it has anything to do with the car not getting hardly any power to the wheels in drive? I feel like the fuel to ratio is off but surely the purge valves alone wouldn’t contribute that much right?

Old 02-27-2020, 02:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 997 Likes on 676 Posts

Right, the purge valves are only an emissions control system. Lack of power is not really related. But you want to clear that in order to pass emissions testing. Any other engine codes?

Check the throttle linkages to make sure they are working properly on both sides when you rotate the pedestal. If they look ok then you will probably want to leave them alone, as they are difficult to get adjusted correctly.

It would be helpful to make yourself a signature with your vehicle type and location (USA model, or elsewhere).