XJ XJ12 ( X305 ) 1995 - 1997

Radiator Disaster

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM
Received 331 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Radiator Disaster

Took the power steering hose off, and the threads came with it. There’s a little left.

Some old threads mentioned aftermarket radiator but the links are dead. Anyone have a source?

Alternatively, any idea what these metric threads are or how to figure them out? Maybe I can put on a union that will thread all the way down, and connect something that will go with the power steering fitting.

wrecked the cooler on my 87 XJ12 and just bypassed it… anyone want to warn me against that?

Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 986 Likes on 826 Posts

The threads can be checked for size against a size mandrel at a smaller hardware store vs, a mega hardware store

How you would do that in your situation ............................

Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM
Received 390 Likes on 228 Posts

G'day John,

I replaced my radiator a few years ago with an all alloy repro from Terry's Jags but they are saying no stock at the moment.

This mob have one on their website https://www.scparts.co.uk/en/radiator/284519/ but whether they have one in stock is another thing. In any case they are really expensive.

When I bought mine it was around $900.00 USD but it looks like the price has doubled since then.

Maybe you could remove the big nut and cut the damaged thread off the spigot have an adapter made which doubles as the nut and also as an adapter for your PS cooling hose.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Last edited by watto700; Yesterday at 11:47 PM.
Old Today, 04:24 PM
Received 274 Likes on 166 Posts

If the rest of the rad is in ok condition I would have a look at mcmaster for some kind of adaptor - permanently attach a union to the existing thread with fresh thread to go to the ps hose. Is this for the long one that runs down under the subframe to the rack? If so you have some wiggle room...

There's two used rads listed on car-part.com might want to call while sitting down to see how much they want... the earlier 6.0 rad also fits from the xj40 shaped jags so worth searching on that too

Last edited by olivermarks; Today at 04:30 PM.
Old Today, 04:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you’ve got a tricky situation there. If the threads came off with the power steering hose and there's only a bit left, you’re kind of in a tough spot.

For the aftermarket radiator, it's pretty common for old links to go dead. I'd suggest checking out some Jaguar-specific parts suppliers or forums where folks might have updated info or stock. Sometimes eBay or specialized shops like Coventry West or SNG Barratt can be helpful for finding hard-to-get parts.

As for figuring out the metric threads, you might need a thread gauge to measure what's left and match it up. If you can determine the size and pitch, you could potentially use a union fitting that threads all the way down and then adapt it to connect with your existing power steering fitting.

Regarding bypassing the cooler, some might say it's okay for short-term use, but I’d be cautious. The cooler helps manage the temperature and protect the power steering components, especially under load or in hotter conditions. Bypassing it could lead to overheating and potential damage to the pump or rack over time. If you can, I'd suggest repairing or replacing the cooler rather than bypassing it, just to be safe.

Ryan
https://gpstrackershop.com

Old Today, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 986 Likes on 826 Posts

To use the existing damaged threads that are left ......................

Remove the existing nut that is in your picture and thin it down , there is a bevel on the inside of the treads that you can sacrifice as it serves you no purpose but leave enough threads as the nut does serve a purpose or maybe eliminate it all together and the fitting you will be installing will double role for that purpose ( as a locator and O - ring seal compressor ? )

The nut in your pic is probably aluminum which will take a heat source well to ease in removal least galling , heat then penetrating " knock er loose " as it cools down