XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

“air suspension fault” / “car too low” 2004 xj8 48k 4.2-l

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

[QUOTE=It is 30 degrees in Dallas and about 18 overnight and snowing, my air suspension is sitting low after 2 days of parking the car under this cold weather condition but I never had that problem in FL , is that ok for the air shocks to sit low like that on cold weather ? Only the front ones do[/QUOTE]

Back in 2011, my VDP sat low for 2 weeks while I waited for warmer temps to work on it. It was moveable but I couldn't turn the wheel due to the tire rubbing the inside of the wheel well. Suspension was fine once the temps got above 40 degrees F (on my VDP).

Attached Thumbnails -white-cat-12.jpg  

Last edited by reyesl; 12-06-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

I only have this issue a few days during winter. My trick is to let to start the car and let it warm up. The air suspension light and car too low will appear. Once the car realizes that the car isn't lifting for a while the compressor shuts off as a safety feature, hence the air suspension fault light. Once I have the jag fully warmed for a bit I restart the car to restart that air compressor. Car lifts up and I'm on my way.

Last edited by BlackKat; 12-06-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by blackkat
i only have this issue a few days during winter. My trick is to let to start the car and let it warm up. The air suspension light and car too low will appear. Once the car realizes that the car isn't lifting for a while the compressor shuts off as a safety feature, hence the air suspension fault light. Once i have the jag fully warmed for a bit i restart the car to restart that air compressor. Car lifts up and i'm on my way.
this is fine till it wears out the compressor and then youll need to replace the leaking air spring/s and the compressor. Make sure the nut in the center on top of the shock where the wires go in are tight and do notstick the connector back in wrong youll bend the pins. Like the customer did on the one I had toreplac this morning

Old 12-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts
Default My Experience

Haven't read all the posts, but my 04 R had a front drivers-side leaking shock with 46K miles. Same symptoms you reported with your car.

Since I ordered the rebuilt shock from Arnott, decided to order seals for compressor from Bagpiping Andy on ebay. Decided to do this because front left wheel needed to be removed...

I strongly recommend both Arnott and Andy! Car rides like a new one & Arnott's videos made it a very enjoyable project. All error messages went away immediately and have't returned.

Best with your project.

The following users liked this post:
Bagpipingandy (12-09-2013)
Old 08-02-2018, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyd
Hi... #1, I didn't want to be in "Brand Review" directory... but for the life of me, I could NOT get a thread started anywhere else... ;=(

I find navigating on this site a bit frustrating... trying to create a new post/thread. It would be nice if there was a "Start" Field... and I could just enter my Jag info and problem, then have the software direct me to a proper directory and once there... have a "Create New Post/Thread" button... but I digress.

A couple years ago, the Air Suspension Fault (ASF) light came on during a cold snap... the temp dropped in the mid 40's and when it warmed up the problem (error message) went away… But tonight it was only 74 and the ASF light came on again, then a mile or so down the road, the "Car Too Low" light came on... I drove another 3 miles home. garaged the Jag and logged on to this site... trying to plan my next move... I noticed our jag was lower in the front... the wheel wells were about even with the tire height...

Anybody have suggestions? (Why do these malfunctions always happen on Friday Nights? ;=)

1. Can I drive the car 44 miles to jag shop if the front end is still low?
2. Jag has 48K on her odometer, easy driving always. How long do shocks last?
3. Ditto with the compressor... what is their lifespan?
4. How much would a R&R cost if I need 2 or 4 shocks AND a compressor?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions...
Kyd

Old 08-02-2018, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar xj8 2008 air suspension

Originally Posted by Kyd
Hi... #1, I didn't want to be in "Brand Review" directory... but for the life of me, I could NOT get a thread started anywhere else... ;=(

I find navigating on this site a bit frustrating... trying to create a new post/thread. It would be nice if there was a "Start" Field... and I could just enter my Jag info and problem, then have the software direct me to a proper directory and once there... have a "Create New Post/Thread" button... but I digress.

A couple years ago, the Air Suspension Fault (ASF) light came on during a cold snap... the temp dropped in the mid 40's and when it warmed up the problem (error message) went away… But tonight it was only 74 and the ASF light came on again, then a mile or so down the road, the "Car Too Low" light came on... I drove another 3 miles home. garaged the Jag and logged on to this site... trying to plan my next move... I noticed our jag was lower in the front... the wheel wells were about even with the tire height...

Anybody have suggestions? (Why do these malfunctions always happen on Friday Nights? ;=)

1. Can I drive the car 44 miles to jag shop if the front end is still low?
2. Jag has 48K on her odometer, easy driving always. How long do shocks last?
3. Ditto with the compressor... what is their lifespan?
4. How much would a R&R cost if I need 2 or 4 shocks AND a compressor?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions...
Kyd

i have a jaguar xj8 2008 just put in a new compressor and new relay wont rise but it makes a noise like is trying to but wont rise also when car is off sounds like air comes out of drivers side wheel and when driving air suspension fault comes off then turns onn any suggestions on what to do?

Old 08-03-2018, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Best tell us what caused you to put in a new compressor and relay. Noise of air escaping suggests you have a serious air leak somewhere, and that is likely to be an air spring diaphragm has blown.

Might be best to start your own thread as this dates to 2012, six years ago with a title not relevant to your car.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:57 AM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Page
Remember Arnott have compressors too and at much lower prices than the jag dealer!
I just checked the price on the Arnott compressor for the X350:
P2291, WABCO OES Air Suspension Compressor - 04-09 Jaguar XJ Series (X350/ X358)
Arnott's website gives no info on price or where to buy it. I opened a chat with one of their reps, who would only say that they sold various parts to various dealers, including NAPA, https://www.oreillyauto.com, AutoZone, and other places that I think were in Europe.
Checked NAPAonline.com, and the P2291 air compressor costs $928.65. That sounds like far too much.
$505 at https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ntt-p-2291 .

Last edited by Xeno; 08-30-2021 at 11:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Petz (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 02:45 AM
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

From autodoc Arnott 2291 compressor with dryer for approx 380 €