XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Is the 04' xj really worth it? Buy or not?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Is the 04' xj really worth it? Buy or not?!

After reading all the post about the air suspension issues and the cost involved on the 04-09 XJ. Is it worth the headache? I see a lot of threads about the suspension, modifications, etc.

I can purchase an 04 VDP with 50k miles at a super rate but the concern over the air shocks is my main issue. But what the other concerns in this model?

Ikon

Old 12-19-2011, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

My 2003 XJ6 is on 57k miles and has needed an air compressor. This is the component that usually fails fairly early, but the air springs are pretty good, albeit you will see posts on their replacement. The compressors are fairly cheap to buy and replace, labour about 30 mins to one hour. A compressor starting to wear will flag up suspension fault warnings months before it is unable to maintain the air pressure, it then becomes a matter of how long you are prepared to put up with the continual nagging on the dash display !

From what I can determine, failing air springs seems to be a US issue, because the UK Jaguar forum has virtually no posts on the air springs. Bear in mind, though, that there are probably more X350 models in the US than the UK, and subject to far worse weather than we get here.

The real issue on air springs is the cost of replacement, as the spring and the shock are one unit. Even internet prices for genuine Jaguar items are very high, but there are also the Arnott Industries units with new rubber diagphrams, but the original shock at much lower prices. Replacement is a fairly quick job, as it's a bit like replacing a Macpherson strut.

Other X350 issues are related to: -

- transmission control software, I have had two at not much expense which cured the faults. The box itself seems pretty long-lived

- suspension joints wear out far quicker than one would expect, and some parts cost a lot, some very cheap. It is basically the same suspension as the S-Type, and the XF. I am personally convinced that large diameter wheels and low profile tyres contribute to this premature wear, by passing on road shocks which on "normal" wheels would be absorbed by the tyre. My car had 20" wheels and 35 aspect ratio tyres when I bought it, and I have had to replace rear lower shockbushes, and the rear lower wishbones due to wear. The shock bushes are cheap, but expensive to replace in labour due to the dismantling involved. The shop checked the fronts as well, and all was OK.
Jaguar have recently reduced some suspension parts prices due to complaints, many from their dealers who obviously lose out on service work when everybody trots off the the independents who source their parts elsewhere.

- cosmetic corrosion can occur especially if the car is run at locations where road salt is used a lot in winter. The leading edge of the boot (trunk) lid is the worst as there is a lip on the rear screen seal covering the gap between screen and lid. This traps salt and grit so each time the lid is lifted, it scrapes paint off, until corrosion starts on the aluminium of the lid. This then creeps along underneath the paint until it shows on the top side. I had to have a repaint, and had this lip cut off by the paint shop. I advise all owners to do the same, as this lip serves no useful purpose at all.

Anyway, my advice is to look at this 50k mile car and have a test drive, and also make sure it has been maintained properly with records available etc. They are really lovely cars and reliable in that you will not suffer breakdowns and be left at the roadside, the issues are around premature wear and tear as outlined above based on my personal experience.

I have completed 20k miles in mine, incl a holiday trip to Germany this summer, and the car is a joy to drive except the fuel consumption means it is rather expensive to fill up at around £1.34 a litre here in England.

Its a lot of car for the money !!

Old 12-19-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
My 2003 XJ6 is on 57k miles and has needed an air compressor. This is the component that usually fails fairly early, but the air springs are pretty good, albeit you will see posts on their replacement. The compressors are fairly cheap to buy and replace, labour about 30 mins to one hour. A compressor starting to wear will flag up suspension fault warnings months before it is unable to maintain the air pressure, it then becomes a matter of how long you are prepared to put up with the continual nagging on the dash display !

From what I can determine, failing air springs seems to be a US issue, because the UK Jaguar forum has virtually no posts on the air springs. Bear in mind, though, that there are probably more X350 models in the US than the UK, and subject to far worse weather than we get here.

The real issue on air springs is the cost of replacement, as the spring and the shock are one unit. Even internet prices for genuine Jaguar items are very high, but there are also the Arnott Industries units with new rubber diagphrams, but the original shock at much lower prices. Replacement is a fairly quick job, as it's a bit like replacing a Macpherson strut.

Other X350 issues are related to: -

- transmission control software, I have had two at not much expense which cured the faults. The box itself seems pretty long-lived

- suspension joints wear out far quicker than one would expect, and some parts cost a lot, some very cheap. It is basically the same suspension as the S-Type, and the XF. I am personally convinced that large diameter wheels and low profile tyres contribute to this premature wear, by passing on road shocks which on "normal" wheels would be absorbed by the tyre. My car had 20" wheels and 35 aspect ratio tyres when I bought it, and I have had to replace rear lower shockbushes, and the rear lower wishbones due to wear. The shock bushes are cheap, but expensive to replace in labour due to the dismantling involved. The shop checked the fronts as well, and all was OK.
Jaguar have recently reduced some suspension parts prices due to complaints, many from their dealers who obviously lose out on service work when everybody trots off the the independents who source their parts elsewhere.

- cosmetic corrosion can occur especially if the car is run at locations where road salt is used a lot in winter. The leading edge of the boot (trunk) lid is the worst as there is a lip on the rear screen seal covering the gap between screen and lid. This traps salt and grit so each time the lid is lifted, it scrapes paint off, until corrosion starts on the aluminium of the lid. This then creeps along underneath the paint until it shows on the top side. I had to have a repaint, and had this lip cut off by the paint shop. I advise all owners to do the same, as this lip serves no useful purpose at all.

Anyway, my advice is to look at this 50k mile car and have a test drive, and also make sure it has been maintained properly with records available etc. They are really lovely cars and reliable in that you will not suffer breakdowns and be left at the roadside, the issues are around premature wear and tear as outlined above based on my personal experience.

I have completed 20k miles in mine, incl a holiday trip to Germany this summer, and the car is a joy to drive except the fuel consumption means it is rather expensive to fill up at around £1.34 a litre here in England.

Its a lot of car for the money !!
I certainly agree it's certainly a lot of car for the money. Having owned 2 Jaguars I appreciate the fairly inexpensive tenure of ownership. However I've heard/read about the money pits that can occur! I'm researching a warranty that offers a comprehensive bumper to bumper type coverage. I'm asking directly about the air suspension & all it's components.

If any one knows of a great warranty let me/us know.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:04 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Easy care covers air spring and complete system. My next jag will be a 04^xj. Tell me what other full sized sedan with a v8 get 30+mpg on the highway. Other that plastic cooling system parts like t stat housing and air springs, the car is relativly trouble free. No coils, trans, diffs, engines abs modules, window regs,,,etc....... Blah blah blah

Old 12-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

What would Easy Care cost for an 04 Vanden Plas with 50,000.

Eddie 04 VDP

Old 12-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my wife enjoys hers, and it yields better mileage than the 2 supercharged pickups it shares the garage with with

as long as the vehicle has been maintained I wouldn't be afraid of it

Old 12-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

If Brutal is going to get an 04 XJ that's a pretty strong recommendation.

My overall experience has been good, but I wish Jaguar would now start to pay attention to the durability of some wearing parts, mainly the suspension parts and their cost. We all are familiar with the expression "fair wear and tear", but there seems to be some unfair wear in my experience.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:14 PM
XJL
Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Ikon
After reading all the post about the air suspension issues and the cost involved on the 04-09 XJ. Is it worth the headache? I see a lot of threads about the suspension, modifications, etc.

I can purchase an 04 VDP with 50k miles at a super rate but the concern over the air shocks is my main issue. But what the other concerns in this model?

Ikon
Have you considered a newer model XJ, perhaps 2007 or 2009 with lower miles? Or maybe locate a good independent jaguar mechanic in your area that you could talk to about his recommendations and what the actual repair cost will be?

Having this information will help you make a better decision. I have money set aside for this in advance. This way I don't worry about it and I don't let it steal the joy of the Jaguar experience.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ownership costs

" This way I don't worry about it and I don't let it steal the joy of the Jaguar experience. "
Well said XJL.

I've heard about the fear of ownership from several people. If you're always afraid the car's going to fail, there's no real joy in owning/driving it.
Remember you may be buying an eight thousand dollar XJ8 VDP but you're operating and maintaining a seventy-five thousand dollar car. That being said if you can do some/most/all the work yourself you're way ahead of the curve. Parts can be outrageously expensive still.
Good luck with your decision. If you decide it's not for you maybe someone on the board here may be interested.
fwiw
Chad

Old 12-20-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by XJL
Have you considered a newer model XJ, perhaps 2007 or 2009 with lower miles? Or maybe locate a good independent jaguar mechanic in your area that you could talk to about his recommendations and what the actual repair cost will be?

Having this information will help you make a better decision. I have money set aside for this in advance. This way I don't worry about it and I don't let it steal the joy of the Jaguar experience.
Don't have the funds for a newer unit... divorced recently! (She got the damn STR! She can keep that headache ) I also considered an XK8 coupe preferably.. but the room of a sedan is needed, small kids(booster seats can fit however)...

Old 12-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Any car is going to have its own particular brand of issues. At least with the Jaguar, you'll have the most beautiful car on the road 9 times out of 10. Plus the 04-09 XJs are the most beautiful since the Series III.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had a few issues with my 2004 VDP since I bought it last winter. Replaced front air springs, headlight HID bulbs and recently the blower module. I love the car regardless and I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. I bought a 3rd party warranty which covers everything but what I've needed so far but at least I know the motor and transmission are covered I refuse to pay for labor unless I can't do it myself, I had a shop do the springs as I didn't have the right tools or the patients. I had to get used to paying $130 for a synthetic oil change which I can't do myself as per the warranty. I still find the cost much lower then leasing/buying a new car in it's class so I have no regrets.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:17 PM

Paul, what warranty do you use?

Old 12-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Ikon
Paul, what warranty do you use?
My warranty is with Lubrico. It's a 2 year unlimited millage which extends for another two years if I don't use it. My air springs were considered wear and tear items but if it was a compressor issue it would have been covered. Electrical is covered but I didn't want to use it for a $300 item as I would loose the extra two years. I bought the warranty more for the motor and transmission as these would be obviously very costly. I replaced the transmission in my last car and scrapped my Van because of the transmission so I don't like taking any chances.

Last edited by PaulB; 12-21-2011 at 06:49 PM.