XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

04 XJ8 cooling fans won't run

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 XJ8 cooling fans won't run

Hey y'all- I'm sorting out several issues on my XJ8 non-supercharged ( would love an XJR-- that's next!) that I recently acquired. Got some fixed, but the next in line is the cooling fan on the radiator won't run either with the A/C on or not. Fuses are all fine. I'm not sure which contacts on the fan to apply power and ground to that will confirm that the fan is good. I've searched for information and have come up blank. Lots of info for the cabin climate control fan problems, but nothing for the coolant fan that i can find. A little background--- I received the vehicle inoperative with a failed upper hose. Previous owner stated it had blown the hose while sitting and idling, it was taken to a local independent shop where it wasn't repaired. I never was able to talk to anyone at the shop to get any information. They never seemed to be around. I picked it up from there. I replaced upper hose with factory Jaguar part, bled system. Coolant appears to be circulating. I do have heat in the cabin when the heater is on. Interior climate controls all function normally including the cabin fan. With the scan tool plugged in and monitoring the data stream the indicated coolant temperature will climb to 200F + on a short drive ( 1 1/2 mile) at moderate ambient temps (60F). My IR thermometer's battery died, so I don't know the actual temperature it's running at, but from the feel I think it's in a reasonable ballpark to what the scan tool shows. I'm not comfortable driving it much farther than that. Any suggestions, ideas or thoughts? Thanks in advance---- I've learned a lot already from this group.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Check the power plug for the fans
On my XJR you can access the plugs by removing the tow plate and foglamp

See my thread for "fan mod" for pics and details

Just pull the large plug, this has the 2 power wires and confim you have power.
If you dont check the 80amp fuses
If you do it will either be the module or the signal from the ecu

To test the module connect the power plug but remove the second one
This will make the fans go flat out

If the fans don’t run its the modules which means you need a new fan and shroud as its all one piece.

If it runs falt out its either he ecu or the wire from the ecu. Either way a cheep way out is to do the fan mod but trigger the relay with a temp switch

Cheers
34by151

The following users liked this post:
N trouble Again (03-05-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Success! Thanks to 34x151 for the troubleshooting advice. Fan itself was bad- Installed one yesterday from E-bay along with a new thermostat. Max temp indicated on live datastream was 203f with a short drive and extended idle time. I spent a good bit of time cleaning the areas I wouldn't be able to reach when it was reassembled. Looks a lot better and actually stays cool. I might be able to put her in service soon! Next up is fixing the right turn signal which doesn't work and repairing the sunroof mechanism.