XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

04 XJ8 Head Gasket problem Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 06:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wingrider
Doing the work yourself,will give you the up close and personal experience of fixing your car.
Along with the confidence that is needed to take on the next issue.
Read, ask questions, study the manual take your time.
You have the luxury of not needing the car, and no money spent for the car itself.

Ya i do want to do it myself. Thanks for the confidence. On that note though, i am struggling to find a good service manual to follow. i couldnt find one in the sticky page in this forum for my 2004 XJ8 and i tried to get one off tradebit that said it was service manual and software and it sucks. Guess thats what i get for $15.

I'm going to post in that forum page for the manuals, but anyone know the best place to buy a service manual for 04 XJ8 that is actually useful?

Old 04-03-2020, 07:11 PM
Received 2,670 Likes on 1,834 Posts

Create a topix account and download the relevant information:

https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topi...cle/lookupForm

In this situation, it may be more cost-effective to locate and install a used engine with lower miles.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by NBCat
Create a topix account and download the relevant information:

https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topi...cle/lookupForm

In this situation, it may be more cost-effective to locate and install a used engine with lower miles.

I'm confused as to how it would be more cost effective. An engine is at least $1000 and I would need to buy an engine lift which is $200.

isnt it more difficuldifficultn engine swap? i signed I to the topic account but am weary of paying for a section that might not be what I'm actually needing since I cant preview anything.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:27 PM

Update: Lots of oil in the intake manifold, which from what i can see on other forums is somewhat normal ish for it to happen. The air filter in the intake was super nasty so that might be why it was sucking up oil.

Old 06-21-2020, 03:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace your EGR valve / Ground wire to body frame.

Originally Posted by Hyrum Lindquist
I went to autozone to get their OBD test on the codes. It showed the same codes that i got but their tester didnt cause the car to not start or show all the warning signs on the dash. Once again those codes are

P0405 - EGR sensor - as an update with that i found the EGR electrical plug was disconnected. plugged that back in. hopefully that code goes away now.
P1638 - CAN link ECM/INSTM Circuit/Network
P1642 - CAN link Circuit
P1000 - OBD systems Readiness Test Not Complete

I dont see anything that could be connected to a blown head gasket but also doesnt explain coolant loss. Does the P1000 code have to finish doing it's thing before i can get fully accurate codes?
Replace the ground wires to the frame of the car located in the front side panels. This is you can error codes problem. Replace the EGR VALVE this will cause the car to over heat allow water to move into the wrong place.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:44 PM

Thank you for the note on that. I will definitely do that when i start putting everything back together.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:53 PM

UPDATE: I have finally removed my head and head gasket. It took forever especially finding the dang tools. Here's a few photos of my heads. Doesn't look like the head gasket is cracked anywhere and I measured the head and didn't find any warpage. Except one spot that had a gap of .125 mm. Thank goodness. The compression test made it seem like an intake valve problem but i dont know what to look for with possibly damaged or problem causing intake valves.

One thing I noticed and not sure if it's a problem but the pistons on the driver side aren't like the other side. It two up and then two down instead of one up, one down, one up, one down.

Im curious as to your thoughts on what you think the problem is after all this now.

Passenger side

Driver side

Last edited by Hyrum Lindquist; 06-27-2020 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Key thing with these all-aluminium engines is to check for block warping if the car has undergone a significant overheating episode. Othere thing I remember from doing a head job on a Rover V8 many years ago, (also an all-aluminium engine), was that the head bolts had to have thread sealant when reinserting and tightening down. The stuff smelt like Evostick so that's what I used ! The reason for sealant was never stated, but I siuspect it was to do with the steel bolts going into an alloy head and thus prevent galvanic corrosion.

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,436 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Be aware of torque to yield bolts as they are a one use only item.

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 11:00 AM
Received 2,670 Likes on 1,834 Posts

+1 on checking the block for warping as the block is subjected to more heat stress due to the design of the cooling jackets.

Remove the coolant and clean the cylinders so you can inspect the bores.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:41 PM

So i couldn't see any cracks or failures in the head gaskets. Also measured and don't see any warpage in the heads. Based on the initial leak down test of air coming out the intake and now doi g a water test on the valves I found that the problem is most likely the intake valves that are leaking. There's 3 that are leaking

Old 06-28-2020, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Leaky inlet valves won't help the cylinder compressions. However, from your original post, the question still is - where is the coolant going ? Looking at the photo of the combustion chambers for the passenger side, the combustion chamber on the left looks cleaner than the rest, and seems to have a break in the ring marking where the gasket fire ring clamped on it just top-left. I assume you have found no evidence of coolant getting into the engine oil, it just disappears with no obvious external leak, correct ?

You wrote this in #27
UPDATE: I have finally removed my head and head gasket. It took forever especially finding the dang tools. Here's a few photos of my heads. Doesn't look like the head gasket is cracked anywhere and I measured the head and didn't find any warpage. Except one spot that had a gap of .125 mm. Thank goodness. The compression test made it seem like an intake valve problem but i dont know what to look for with possibly damaged or problem causing intake valves.
You don't want any gaps ! A light skim of the heads may be needed to restore flatness.

Apropos reassembly, do these engines demand new head bolts as well as a head gasket ? Have you been able to source the parts OK ? It can sometimes be very difficult to see where a head gasket has allowed leakage, so in the end, once everything is known to be flat and unwarped, you just have to clean everything up and reassemble.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:56 PM

Found this cavitation as well on one of the cylinder spots on the head. I'll most likely be replacing one of the heads

Old 06-28-2020, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Leaky inlet valves won't help the cylinder compressions. However, from your original post, the question still is - where is the coolant going ? Looking at the photo of the combustion chambers for the passenger side, the combustion chamber on the left looks cleaner than the rest, and seems to have a break in the ring marking where the gasket fire ring clamped on it just top-left. I assume you have found no evidence of coolant getting into the engine oil, it just disappears with no obvious external leak, correct ?

You wrote this in #27

You don't want any gaps ! A light skim of the heads may be needed to restore flatness.

Apropos reassembly, do these engines demand new head bolts as well as a head gasket ? Have you been able to source the parts OK ? It can sometimes be very difficult to see where a head gasket has allowed leakage, so in the end, once everything is known to be flat and unwarped, you just have to clean everything up and reassemble.

​​​​​​​When i get to fixing everything i will be getting the parts from probably different sources. I've been doing that today and so far it looks like a mixture of amazon, ebay, partsgeek and rockauto. I will be getting the full engine rebuild gasket kit since its just better to replace all the gaskets along with a number of other pre maintenace replacements and fixings.

i will also be looking at some nearby machines shops to see cost of flattening out the heads and how it compares to just replacing the head completely. i honestly have no clue what the problem has been causing for the car. i just hope that making eveyrthing "good" will fix whatever issue there was. i was told the cavitation on the head in the photo i uploaded could be the cause of some coolant loss. i still have the oil in the oil drain tub so im going to double check it for milkiness but im pretty sure theres nothing mixed in it.