XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

04 xj8 suspension fault C2303

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 xj8 suspension fault C2303

This post is also posted under new member. Sorry for the duplication, shame on the new guy.
04 Jaj XJ8 - I bought a wrecked xj slight damage. hood, lights bumper cover and air bag. it has 48k and well cared for, at least untill they crashed it. Replaced all items, dealer cleared airbag light, but C2303 air suspension fault remained. I have read many threads about leaks and relays and compressors but being as cheap as I am tried a different route. I purchased an entire 04 xj for parts to save cash when repairing the car. After the Dealer told me 1325.00 for the air compressor, I knew I had one home. The doner car has no lights on for any suspension issue. I took the R1 relay and the compressor and installed both. Returned to dealer for the codes to be cleared. Dealer says C2303 reappeared right away. I installed my old compressor in the doner and it still doesn't record an error. Sorry for the length but one more thing. The original car had zenon lights. doner didn't. the schematic shows a sensing wire to the suspension module. could that be related? Thanks any thoughts are appreciated.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 8,138 Likes on 4,910 Posts

C2303 Reservoir plausibility error

POSSIBLE CAUSES
Mechanical / pneumatic fault such as:
– pipe disconnected
– air leak

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
X350 C DTC.pdf (59.0 KB, 3325 views)
Old 07-01-2011, 08:29 AM

I tried cutting the power and checking the height on all four corners. The next morning there was no change. I just find it hard to believe that 2 compressors are showing the same fault only in one of the cars. If I do have a leak it must be slight. I relieved pressure from the LF shock to get the pump running. It dropped and recovered 3 times from stored air before the pump started. I guess I will buy a new pump and see what happens. Thanks for your thoughts and the link.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 755 Likes on 633 Posts

Rick,

Can I suggest the following:

Remove the compressor and dismatle the compressor piston and cylinder.

Easy!

Take the piston seal off the piston and stretch it gently outwards if you follow me?

Replace on piston and replace compressor on vehicle.

Let us know if there is any improvement.

The following users liked this post:
Rickxj8 (07-07-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 04:59 AM

I have already ordered a new one from ebay. I appreciate the idea. I guess the seal must shrink over time and cause low compression in the pump. I will try it. I can always return the new one. One must always take things apart to see what makes them tick.
Thanks

Old 07-22-2011, 09:57 PM

Well..... I installed the new compressor. Dealer says I need another new compressor. (one they would install at 3 times the price) I give up. Bought OEM part.
Have a loaded question. Original car had projection bulbs, I re-installed std lights. Schematics say there is a sensing wire from the headlights. Any chance the computer is looking for that input from the headlights? Dealer says code C2303 wouldn't clear. Last resort is to swap harness wires from ecu to compressor. Can't believe that as I can simulate a leak and the new compressor responds.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Any resolution to this?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:53 AM

No, I have put 10k miles and 3 compressors on it since purchased and have gotten used to the little amber light in the dash. Considered taking it to another dealer but at 100 plus per hour just to look, I may not. Other than the light I can't detect any issues. No change that I can detect with any of the compressors. The ride height is fine, I rarely hear the pump. I hear it exhaust or dump pressure once in a while. Until I decide to sell it I will more than likely live with it. I hate giving up but I really don't feel don't like giving the dealership a blank check.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Banned

Did the compressors go bad? I am facing the same thing. Where did you get the compressors? Were they replaced under warranty.

Mine is showing no symptoms other than the yellow light and "air suspension fault" message. The compressor runs. I will probably start by checking the volume and pressure it is putting out. Anyone know what the operating pressure is?

My Autotap won't read the chassis codes.

Last edited by MK 82; 11-16-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,453 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Here are a couple of UK supplier prices - we also have to pay 20% VAT tax on top !!

Jaguar X350 Air Suspension Compressor Assembly (C2C27702#) | JustJagsUK.com

COMPRESSSOR

Swap-out is reasonably DIY, but an experienced tech can do one in about 30 minutes, (the first time he does one it's about 2 hours !!)

Old 11-17-2011, 08:29 AM

I was told by the dealer and many sources on this forum similar reasons for the code. Run time of the compressor to get up to pressure was too long, not enough pressure, overheated relay that powers the compressor. All of which are correct and possible.
And no after installing a brand new Arnott brand compressor and a used one from a car with no lights on I don't think I have a compressor problem. I called the company that sold the compressor (found on ebay motors). They claim that Arnott is the factory supplier for Jag and went so far as to call their local Jag dealer (somewhere in Florida i think) for me. Their answer was the Jag dealer hadn't reset the computer, to accept the new part.
I had a similar problem with the air bag light. other cars (ford) the air bag light goes out once you have repaired or replaced the defective part. Jag not so much. Even after all items were replaced, the bag light stayed on. The dealer has to reprogam the comp to accept the new parts. So I fixed the problem but the dealer had to turn out the light. I feel this is a similar issue with the suspension but the dealer won't proceed without installing a new compressor from their parts department.
Sorry for the length don't know if it was helpfull but I feel better.

Originally Posted by MK 82
Did the compressors go bad? I am facing the same thing. Where did you get the compressors? Were they replaced under warranty.

Mine is showing no symptoms other than the yellow light and "air suspension fault" message. The compressor runs. I will probably start by checking the volume and pressure it is putting out. Anyone know what the operating pressure is?

My Autotap won't read the chassis codes.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Banned

Can any of the Techs chime in and confirm or deny the need to do any computer resetting or reprograming after installing a new air compressor.

How would the system know it had been changed? It is my wife's car and she has a hissy fit and wants to get rid of it everytime it has a problem. I want to keep the car but don't want to listen to her!

Eddie

2004 x350 VandenPlas

Old 11-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

The only thing the car knows about the compressor is how long it takes to fill the system. If it takes too long, it sets a code. There is no programming needed after a compressor replacement. Programming is needed when changing or setting the level sensors.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Banned

Thanks, I took the compressor off and bench tested it. It pumps strongly. I think I will install a pressure gauge in or near the storage tank. Does anyone have a schematic of the air ride system they could share. Can't make JTIS work on my laptop.

It makes no sense that the system would know the comp was changed. It only has four wires. Two for power and two for the vent solenoid.

Eddie

The mystery continues.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by MK 82
Does anyone have a schematic of the air ride system they could share.
Here you go.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
airschematic.pdf (189.0 KB, 1037 views)
Old 11-18-2011, 08:02 AM
Received 8,138 Likes on 4,910 Posts

I'm not certain about the X350 but the X202 will NOT reset the MIL if the suspension module detects a fault. I had a buddy at another shop replace a customer's CATS damper on a 2003 S-Type. The NEW damper was installed but the fault light still remained. He called and asked me if he could use my WDS to clear the fault.

He has a $5000.00 'wiz-bang' diagnostic computer but it won't 'talk' to Jaguars.

Several modules will NOT clear themselves even after a repair is made. A faulty ignition coil will set a misfire code but it will not clear immediately just because you replace it.

bob gauff

Old 10-20-2014, 05:21 PM

c2303 is my problem code i have this code after putting 2 front air shocks and have had the codes cleared and the light still pops on can anyone help me find out how to correct this problem

Old 10-20-2014, 07:15 PM
Received 13,088 Likes on 6,520 Posts

Originally Posted by joejr
c2303 is my problem code i have this code after putting 2 front air shocks and have had the codes cleared and the light still pops on can anyone help me find out how to correct this problem

Hi joejr,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble after replacing your front air shocks. According to the Chassis section of the X350 Workshop Manual, Diagnostic Trouble Code C2303 indicates a "Reservoir Plausibility Error." The most common cause seems to be that the system has not reached its correct ride height and operating pressure within the time alloted by the Air Suspension Conrol Module (typically 120 seconds).

The manual recommends checking for air leaks, so the first thing you may want to do is to moisten the brass air hose fittings on the tops of your front shocks with soapy water, start the engine, and watch for bubbles that indicate a leak.

The other very common cause of C2303 is a worn piston ring in the compressor, which can be replaced with an affordable new part from forum member bagpipingandy (bagpipingandy.com). Below are links to photos showing how I did this on our '04 XJR:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

The Air Suspension and ECATS section of the '04 XJ New Model Dealer Training Manual contains the best description of system operation that I know of and it can be downloaded at the link below:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/7rdkgg...on_Section.pdf

The X350 Workshop Manual can be downloaded in six sections at the links below. The Air Suspension is covered in the Chassis section:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/md...f+contents.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/aa...nformation.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/n3...2.+Chassis.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9b...Powertrain.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0i...Electrical.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/4j...+and+Paint.pdf

Please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can give you a proper welcome and so we can learn something about you and your Jag.

Also, please add the year, model and engine displacement to your signature so others can give you the most accurate replies possible. Hover your cursor over your username in the upper right corner of this page, and in the dropdown menu click User CP. In your Control Panel, click on Edit Signature in the left column under Settings & Options. Add your car's details and click Save Signature.

Cheers!

Don

Last edited by Don B; 10-20-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have same problem 05 salvage super v8 when i 1st got it and started it 1 yr ago it pumped up since it wont rise a mm. i,ve put comp.,resivor manifold and pluged up a ride comp all work in another car but not this 1 ordered a 50$ mongoose cable from china will try to do something with that when i get it .......if i find a cheep set of coilovers i will change them out....any body have opinons on the makers other than arnot?

Old 09-23-2016, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,453 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Note the age of this thread. Might be better to start a new one. C2303 usually announces that the compressor is on the way out.

Quick Reply: 04 xj8 suspension fault C2303