XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

04 XJ8 VDP Various electrical faults, trying to date my battery and testing

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 XJ8 VDP Various electrical faults, trying to date my battery and testing

I have had the car 3 mos, front left air shock problem comes and goes, hisses sometimes, pumps up and down periodically (front only), goes into reduced performance mode on and off, sometimes tells me the hood is open when not, sometimes door open when not, now transmission fault on and off. When not in fault xmission works well, though has a few little glitches such as short downshift surge at stop and later, slow to engage sometimes at start-off.
I have read on here a lot about battery problems. My battery show only a 48C, 730cca, 120RC sticker with serial number 0083577. My charger electronic meter shows 12.6v while off, 12.3 with key on engine off, and dips to 10.5v when starting. After starting it runs to 13.7 volts. With car off the charge shows from 67% to 93% when I start the charger. Just now charging manually to see if it helps these glitches.
Right now I am trying to find info on this battery to determine manufacturer and age. Any help or search links for batteries? I am probably headed to Home Depot to buy that recommended Exide L5/49 but would like some indication of my battery age before doing so. I don't want to drive it like it is to get a load test at a parts store.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

10.5 V when cranking, your battery is on its way out, some batteries die after only a couple of years, don't look further.
13.7 V is the voltage produced by the alternator.
You better change your battery now.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:13 PM
Received 12,932 Likes on 6,463 Posts

Hi bbonds007,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

I agree with paydase that a battery that is sagging to 10.5V while cranking needs to be replaced now. If it sags much lower, the Engine Control Module (ECM) may not trigger the ignition to fire. Age may have nothing to do with it. If it is not the original Varta silver calcium battery, there's a good chance that it is a typical lead acid or AGM battery that is unable to handle the higher-than-normal charging voltages in the X350 that were established for those original Varta batteries. These higher charging voltages can lead to premature battery failure. Our member Box has confirmed with Exide that the Exide Global Extreme battery can handle the higher voltages, and at $119.00 at Home Depot, it is a good deal and should help some of your issues.

Regarding the false Hood Open warning, there is a switch in the latch for the hood on the metal crossmember at the front of the engine bay. The switch fails or its plastic housing breaks and it will no longer close the circuit, triggering the false Hood Open warning. The easiest solution is to make a short jumper wire from something like a 4-inch length of standard 14- or 16-gauge household copper wire. Trim the insulation from both ends of the short wire and form it into a small U shape. Insert the two ends into the two terminals of the wiring harness electrical connector for the switch. Use electrician's tape or heatshrink tubing to secure the jumper wire to the connector, and use a wire tie or other means to tie the connector to the aluminum frame near the left headlamp. This bypasses the switch entirely, so you will now have to pay attention to when the hood is open as car owners have been doing for more than 100 years.

I haven't dealt with the door open warning but that sounds like a dirty or failing switch also. You can download the Electrical Guide here:

2004 Jaguar X350 Electrical Guide

Regarding your transmission behavior, I highly recommend that you have a full fluid flush at the earliest opportunity. Use only ZF Lifeguard 6 or Motorcraft brand Mercon SP fluid. This may resolve all or most of the bad behavior. If not, it may require clearing the transmission's adaptations and reflashing the Transmission Control Module (TCM), which can be done with the dealer-level diagnostic system Symptom Driven Diagnostics (SDD). If this restores the transmission to its proper behavior, you can then drain and save the new fluid, replace the pan/filter, refill the transmission and top it up, and you're good for another 80,000 miles or 8 years. If the fluid flush and other steps do not resolve the transmission's issues, you will need to have it inspected by a knowledgeable shop that services ZF transmissions. Putting off this transmission service may lead to mechanical damage of the gearbox.

Lots of information on the air suspension here. Start with this thread:

Air Suspension & ECATS System Summary: Components & Operation

Another thing I would suggest, since the car is new to you, is to find a good local independent shop that services Jaguars and has the necessary diagnostic equipment to scan for stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) that are proprietary to Jaguar. Have the codes scanned and write them all down, including the prefix letter, which is important (P, B, C, or U). Have the codes cleared, drive the car, then rescan to see which codes recur. Those are the ones you may need to deal with. You can see the definitions and possible causes in the DTC Summaries Manual:

Jaguar X350 DTC Summaries Manual

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 03-31-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

False door open alarm is a very rare fault.

A new battery might solve it too.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-03-2017)