XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

04 XJ8 versus 04 Ls430

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 XJ8 versus 04 Ls430

I saw an 04 XJ8 parked in an affluent area of town with 70k miles for 11,900. It has Nav and appears to be fully loaded. My LS 430 has 140 k miles and I may want something different to drive. Before I go drive it is there any inherant problems with this year car. I think they drive nicely and look pretty classy. Can this car approach the relaibility of my LS? From 55k to 140K miles I have put on a set of brakes and tires and I have all the reciepts from the previous owner and no repairs to 55k.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I came from a '97 LS400 and this car is in a totally different ballpark. In my opinion, the ride quality, build quality, ergonomics and refinement of the XJ is nowhere near what it was in even in my '97 LS, but as I'm sure you have found out, the LS is very boring. It has no soul. That, and they are everywhere!

The Jaguar, on the other hand, has a lot of character, better leather, more wood, classic British styling and is very exclusive. Even in the DC area, I don't see another one every day. It also goes like stink, and handles much better than the LS430 due to its lightweight aluminum chassis/body construction, and is available in a long wheelbase version, which the LS430 never offered.

As for problems, the biggest most expensive repair I usually see on here is the air suspension. The air suspension compressor can go out, which is a repair you can do yourself for about $400 in about an hour. Also, the front air shocks can go out as well, which is a more involved repair but can run up to about $1500 per corner, you can buy a remanufactured shock from Arnott Industries for about $400 or so, IIRC. Other than that, they are pretty reliable, and not all XJs even have those problems.

If I were you, I'd go for a newer model, maybe an '05 or an '06 as it seems like the '04s had more problems, but that's just my perception!

Good luck!

Old 07-30-2011, 03:40 PM

An 04 ls with 70 k would be 20 g's easy. Why the steep depreciation this one is 12g's? the LS is boring but I do not miss repair bills though their air is problematic also. My LS is still the finest car i have owned and boring is all relative I drive 100 miles round trip[ to owrk and it is a perfect cruiser as i bet the Jag is.

I will have to drive this 04 then thanks.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Yup, depreciation is insane on these cars, which is what makes it such a bargain. I'm guessing it has mostly to do with people's misconception that Jaguars of this vintage are just gussied up Fords (I'm sure you get the same comments about your Lexus just being a Toyota, I know I did!).

IMO, even though the Lexus LS430 is one of the finest automobiles in the world, the brand reputation as a whole is still a cut below the Europeans. The prestige factor really did come into play when I decided to get an XJ instead of another LS430 when I was in the market. Everyone who sees the Jag assumes it is twice as expensive as it is, and once somebody finds out you own a Jag, they will almost literally bring it up every time you see them!

Old 07-30-2011, 04:59 PM

I guess I am wrong then that they have a solid reputation from years past as being expensive to own with silly repairs like alot of the old British cars. Where they a British Leyalnd product at one time?

Old 07-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, they were at one point in time, but that was ages ago. Despite what you may have heard, Ford's involvement with Jaguar really improved the quality of its products.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope you got the Jag. Issues with mine to date: split plastic at nipple base of overflow reservoir, replaced right abs wheel sensor, replaced tires, repaired broken hood ornament - damn thing fell off when I closed the hood, go figure. Car has 70K and runs great. I did purchase an aftermarket warranty because I was concerned with suspension issues. I, too, considered the LS430. As stated before, too bland. I will give Lexus the advantage to being quite. My Jag just goes! Seems like 70+, regardless of speed limit, is the sweet spot. Biggest gripe is that my *** seems to be wider than the seat! Don't think they accounted for us Americans in the design.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:13 AM

I would agree about the soul of these cars. I have driven a lot of euro cars over the years and have an 04 VDP that just has a different style about it. It has been a great trip car with exceptional mileage for a v8 and we haven't had many issues with it other than a wheel bearing getting noisy. The air suspension was checked out before we bought it and they replaced the front shocks. Downsides are the trunk capacity and it isn't as wide as some luxury cars so interior room suffers slightly. The performance makes it a sleeper car I think as it really pulls strong. I would like to drive the XJR sometime to compare. Find an independent shop and ask questions. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dab1477
Hope you got the Jag. Issues with mine to date: split plastic at nipple base of overflow reservoir, replaced right abs wheel sensor, replaced tires, repaired broken hood ornament - damn thing fell off when I closed the hood, go figure. Car has 70K and runs great. I did purchase an aftermarket warranty because I was concerned with suspension issues. I, too, considered the LS430. As stated before, too bland. I will give Lexus the advantage to being quite. My Jag just goes! Seems like 70+, regardless of speed limit, is the sweet spot. Biggest gripe is that my *** seems to be wider than the seat! Don't think they accounted for us Americans in the design.
I have about 48k miles, and I have some minor problems.

1. Sagging headliner around visors
2. Chattering/vibrating power steering
3. Clunking transmission
4. Engine knocking

I doubt a Lexus LS430 would have any of these problems at this mileage and age. But then again, the XJ is one of those cars where you'll probably get into a car accident because you're so busy checking out your reflection in store windows and other cars as you drive by!