XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

04 XJR Dash lit up like a Christmas Tree

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 04 XJR Dash lit up like a Christmas Tree

Hello,

I recently purchased an 04 XJR which has 44K miles on it. I noticed a few days ago that there was a Suspension Fault message and did some research on this forum and found that it was possibly just due to the cold (12 degrees F). That code went away and never returned.
Today the entire dash lit up like a christmas tree and numerous fault messages were displayed. Park Brake, Transmission, DSC, adaptive cruise, and engine messages all displayed. Also the Nav screen showed an error saying that it could not communicate and would not let me change any of the controls. The speedometer and the Tach stopped working as well as the power assist for the steering.

I was still able to drive the car home and did not hear anything weird with regard to the engine or tranny. I really hope this is just an electrical glitch. Has this happened to anyone else? Is the car safe to drive? I am in Washington, DC and due to the Inauguration and holidays the nearest Jaguar Dealer is not open until Wednesday.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

Old 01-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default RE: 04 XJR Dash lit up like a Christmas Tree

Greetings,

Did the rash of warnings occur directly after a cold startup, or did they occur while you were driving?

Old 01-18-2009, 04:58 PM

They occurred while I was driving. Really freaked me out for a bit because I was on the highway when it happened.

Thanks,
Robert

Old 01-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Sorry, just rather generic advice from me in this case. Perhaps you will receive better:

Make sure your main serpentine drive belt is still in place,

Have your battery load tested at an auto parts store or general service facility, preferrably with it first disconnected.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Same as PLZ HELP RIGHT NOW

Typical in the old days here in Minnesota, first few really cold days of winter electrical stuff acts up, usually due to poor battery connections. When it gets this cold, and it hasn't for a few years, the battery does not provide full current. My guess is that the posts and terminals are dirty. Not enough current getting through... Get some sand paper and clean both the post and the cables so they are bright silver, clean lead. Grease them and reconnect. Check this first as it's a simple and free process.

Battery connections on an 04' need to be cleaned as it most likely has not been touched since new...

Good Luck,
Tom

Old 01-18-2009, 06:23 PM

Hello all,

Thanks for the information. I will check the battery connections and clean them right now. I will try to get the battery tested tomorrow if anything it open.

Thanks again for all the help,

Robert

Old 01-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like a CAN network failure if even the nav screen is affected. Common problem up to certain VIN in late '05. Couple of bulletins about the problem. Loose pin fit in a few places on in line harness connectors, it will light nearly every warning light and display just about all possible fault messages in the message center. There is a good possibility it will be gone the next time you start the car though the check engine light will probably remain. If you have a code reader and can read ECM codes you can check which CAN faults it has, ABS, TCM, ACCM, GECM etc. and that will narrow down which connector can be causing the problem. Easy fix once you find the faulty connector, just tighten the pins. If you dont have a scanner there's a connector in passenger kick panel(LHD) if memory serves it is green 16 to 20 way, the CAN wires are blue and yellow or green and yellow and are pinned next to each other. If you can get the warnings to go out you can wiggle the connector idling in park and try to recreate the fault. Another connector next to J-gate. Just open ashtray and pull up on veneer to remove, green 12? way connectors on the left side of j-gate(LHD) same wire colors. One last connector above accelerator pedal in dash harness I think that ones black and only has 8? wires also green or blue and yellow.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:09 AM

Hello Real_Tech,

I took the car to Autozone to get a code reader and found that they will check it for you for free :-). The codes are P1111, P1797 and P1638.

These all mentioned something about an irregular voltage reading. After the check engine light was reset I didn't have any more problems until this morning when the Transmission Fault light came on while I was sitting at a light. There was a double thunk from the tranny and the light came on and the Adaptive cruise showed a warning also. I pulled over and took a peak under the car because a tranny going "thunk" when standing still is always a bad sign (94 SVX tranny died a month ago).

I Checked the wires you mentioned and nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary. Do the codes help to narrow it down any?

Thanks,

Robert

Old 01-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

The codes you have are p1638, CAN fault ECM to instrument pack and p1797, CAN fault ECM to TCM. I would look closely at the connector at the j-gate pins 11, 12. The pins are numbered on the connector though you may need a magnifier to see the numbers. The best way to check the terminals is to pull them out of the connector and see how tightly they fit together and then if loose fit tighten or replace terminal ends. terminals are available at a jaguar dealer but you may have a hard time finding a tech willing to dig through the harness repair kit to find them. The bulletin number if you have access is XJ413-02.

Unfortunately the generic scan tool wont pull abs, tcm, ipk, climate codes which could narrow the search more

Old 01-23-2009, 04:18 PM

Thanks for all the great information. I will check that harness again tonight and then give the dealer a call about the TSB.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Robert