XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

'04 XJR Rear Sunshade Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 07:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '04 XJR Rear Sunshade Replacement?

In review of every other thread on rear glass sunshade issues that I could find it appears that mine is broken and needs replacing. The motor works fine and the sidearms raise and lower but the screen remains retracted in place. Apparently the clips have broken that attach the screen to the arms.

It is my understanding that removal of the rear seat is needed to R & R the screen assembly.

Can someone who has done this or has more info in this area help by commenting on parts costs, best place to buy parts for this, and/or details about the job itself?

This is my first Jag in 25 years but I'm an OK trim wrencher but its always helpful to hear from someone who's "been there, done that".

Thanks, Doug

Old 03-03-2013, 08:34 AM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by smoothy

Can someone who has done this or has more info in this area help by commenting on parts costs, best place to buy parts for this, and/or details about the job itself?

Thanks, Doug
Sorry cannot help you out as I have not had to work on mine out yet. However I have had the urge to change mine into a sign. I absolutely hate tailgaters, so I was thinking of of adding lettering that states.

"YOUR TOO DAMN CLOSE".

So that when somebody wants to ride my tail, normally women, I can raise it to sort of bring it too their attention.

The following users liked this post:
BrentGardner (10-12-2014)
Old 03-03-2013, 01:02 PM
psg
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I believe you access it through the trunk by removing the trim panel below thr rear shelve..

Stu

smoothy (03-05-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Received 214 Likes on 113 Posts

The shade is attached to the rear parcel shelf trim, no access from beneath. You need to remove back seats entirely (4 times rotary clips on the bottom part and two straps will be visible once this is removed pulling down on each of these releases the clips that hold the back rest in).

After removing seats unbolt the centre seat belt (to allow it to pass through the shelf on removal) then remove 3x black clips attached to the shelf and visible once back rest is removed.

Unclip and remove the ISO covers 3x from the shelf

Unclip C pillar trims remove captive strap (to stop hitting passengers if side airbags deploy) TAKE CARE AIRBAGS!

Allow c pliiar trims to fall down out of the way.

Unclip electrical plug on left side of the shelf that connects to the sunshade.

Pull up on the shelf to approx 40 degrees and pull towards the front of the car.

Remove the anti rattle material and you can get to the unit.

Refitting reversal of removal.

Time to remove 1.5 Hours

Dont know about costs for parts, just done a sub install so have removed standard subs.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

John

The following 5 users liked this post by caldoofy:
clivedavies (10-16-2016), meirion1 (03-04-2013), paydase (10-16-2016), smoothy (03-05-2013), XJJohnF (09-12-2019)
Old 03-03-2013, 10:35 PM
psg
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

You are correct caldoofy , I stand corrected !

Stu

Old 03-05-2013, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the help guys and thanks caldoofy for the detailed R&R instructions.

Jag wants 1500 for new assembly...a preliminary search for used has come up empty so I'll keep looking and thinking about it. For now it looks like something I'll learn to live with (without).

Doug

Old 03-05-2013, 11:26 AM

Guys...the arms that lift the shade up are not shown in the parts diagram that was sent my way by Graham (GGG). The arm tips are exactly what is broken off preventing them from lifting the shade, which is in perfect condition.

Can someone verify whether the arms are shown in another diagram perhaps connected with the motor assembly? This raises the hope that parts for this repair would be much more affordable.
Thanks,
Doug

Old 03-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

smoothy- Jag price is a joke I will see if I can photograph mine for you if it will help.

The broken bits must be in there somewhere so that you can see how they work?

Another posibility is to contact Jag breakers in US and UK for replacement blind.

These people I believe are good: http://www.eurojag.com/

Last edited by meirion1; 03-05-2013 at 04:26 PM.
smoothy (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by meirion1
smoothy- Jag price is a joke I will see if I can photograph mine for you if it will help.

The broken bits must be in there somewhere so that you can see how they work?

Another posibility is to contact Jag breakers in US and UK for replacement blind.

These people I believe are good: Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
Thanks for this helpful info. Also, GGG followed up on this in another thread by including a TSB for motor and arm issues. It states that the arms may now be purchased separately in a kit. This is very good news as the screen and all adjoining pieces appear to be in like new condition.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:01 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Resurrecting this thread - need to repair power sunshade also

I have this same situation: My sunshade was working in pictures that the dealer posted a month before I bought the car. In between that time and when I bought it some bonehead must have screwed with it as BOTH attachment points that the arms meet on the shade are now broken plastic slides. Further, one edge of the shade has a broken rubber wheel that appears too roll on the back glass as needed while going up or down. I have the wheel and the little nub of plastic that broke around it, but let me tell you, If I had ANY hope of glue working here, I gave up on it. For some reason, a push of the button causes the 2 arms to FLY up and with such force that they sit up and outward against the C pillar material, and a pro weight lifter would be challenged to move them from this position. Glue? That's comical. I can hear the bits snapping the very first time I hit the button.

So I found one post where the guy rebuilt a broken shade by drilling out the rivets at the top of the arms, and fabricating new slides to attach to the shade out of "spare storm door seals?" or similar. I PM'ed him but his post is from 2012, and with only a handful since he doesn't seem active enough here to put any hope on. Its a good idea though. Just wish I had so bold fabricating genius who has tread these roads before me. Sigh... Anyone?

Old 06-21-2016, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The upper arm plastic piece broke on mine as well, in the previous posts in was mentioned that there is a way to purchase the kit of the arms only, all suggestions greatly appreciated

Old 06-22-2016, 08:48 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default I have part numbers - if that helps.

Originally Posted by Black_Cat
The upper arm plastic piece broke on mine as well, in the previous posts in was mentioned that there is a way to purchase the kit of the arms only, all suggestions greatly appreciated
Not 100% sure how to upload/link to a document, but here's a Jaguar pdf that's a "Service Bulletin" for the rear sunshade. It provides part numbers for an "Arm kit" and for a complete motor and Arm Kit" - I am not sure if a) the part numbers are still valid b) what price the kits would go for if available. But it's a starting point for you in any event.

As I said in my original post someone was able to fabricate new "sliders" from something on a storm door. I am guessing its a small section of metal - perhaps part of a window track. Then he attached it to the arms with a rivet. Looked too tricky to me.

I got lucky and found a rear package tray that included the shade - it was an Ivory color and my car is black on black, so I did a bit of part swapping to use the black top and ends on the other shade and it's been in and working reliably ever since. If you have no luck with the arm kit just keep watching for a rear tray with the shade. I am positive the seller had no idea that the shade was not standard - they thought it was on all cars and I got a fix for about $40 - I have the spares but of course the arms have broken "sliders" so they wouldn't help you.

Good luck and I hope you find a used one or the arm kit. It's a nice feature and one of my favorites. At night when some truck has his bright lights in my rear window, up goes the shade (but don't leave it up at night. The auto-dimming rearview mirror inside the car and the two exterior mirrors all dim from the sensor on the interior mirror - if you block it with the shade you are defeating the system. So I just use it in severe cases and put it down when I am done.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...1&d=1466600752

Heres a rabbit with a pancake on his head:

Attached Files
Old 06-25-2016, 12:00 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

BLAIRWARE, thanks for the bulletin!
I have one side of my 06 VDP rear arm/roller thingy that broke. I just noticed that the sunscreen crossbar has a VERY small screw facing down, close to the window, at each end. I think removing this screw, and end plate, will allow the broken part/wheel to slide out the end of the track.

Has anyone got a fix to prevent tearing at the outside edge of the sunblind material where it attaches to the cross bar? I have about a 1" separation there now.
Thanks everyone !!!

Old 10-15-2016, 11:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I second that motion! Tail gaters!! Eeeeeew! At first I thought it was to come closer as to entice a drag race of some sort
Then I realized some people just car hustle you trying to see what's inside ��

Old 05-09-2017, 05:29 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

FYI, the dealer quoted me $122 per arm for the rear blind lift arms. He also things there is a Left and Right version, but that's not how I read the TSB.
I've been looking for a champagne salvage one, so I can replace our torn screen at the same time.

Old 04-05-2022, 06:57 PM
Received 154 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by caldoofy
... two straps will be visible once this is removed pulling down on each of these releases the clips that hold the back rest in
I realize this is an old thread, but I cannot get the back rest to release while pulling on the straps. Is there a trick to this?

Old 04-06-2022, 07:55 AM
Received 154 Likes on 88 Posts

Ok, I can answer my own question. The main requirement in releasing the tabs of the back rest is strength. There's a Youtube video of someone doing this with the X351 which appears to employ the same securing mechanism (including the 4 seat bottom tabs) as the X350 which helped. I wrapped the release strap around a piece of wood so I could get two hands on it, and one side came out without too much trouble when pulling with both hands. The other side fought me, and turns out I was working against myself because as I pulled on the strap I was also indirectly increasing the tension against the hook and release tab. This was immediately solved when I tried -- with the strap under tension with one hand -- pushing the seat back towards the rear of the car. The moment I pushed back with the strap under tension, the tab was free and the back rest popped loose.

Having done the 4 seat bottom tabs and the back rest release tabs, I could probably repeat the removal process in about 10 minutes now, the issue is in just knowing where everything is and how things move.