XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

04 XJR Throttle Body Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Received 127 Likes on 102 Posts
Default 04 XJR Throttle Body Removal?

2004 XJR
I have removed the SC in my quest to replace valley & all other cooling hoses. It seems that many posts indicate the need to remove the throttle body in order to remove the SC. I found that after the air intake manifold was removed, I could easily remove the SC without removing the Throttle body.

I suspect that the throttle body needs to come off in order to get to hoses. Is this correct? Or, does the 04 XJR not require that it be removed?

Thanks & best,

Steve S.

Old 04-05-2024, 01:13 PM

2004 XJR:OK, I looked around the throttle body & it appears that it must come off. Ah, the classic car mechanic's conundrum: how to transform a cold, hard engine into a cozy mechanic's lounge.

To the tune of a stealthy caper, sneak those blankets, soft and taper. Lay them down upon that metal beast, for a comfy feast, not in the least! But beware the eyes of 'She Who Must Be Obeyed,' for missing blankets, you'll surely pay. So be swift, be silent, like a car on creep, Return them before she awakens from sleep. And if she finds out, oh what a scene, me and my Jaguar, buried as a team.

So May the blankets return, and I keep my head! Unless, one of you dear souls may have another way? Oh, kindred spirits with wrenches in hand, do you possess the secret to make this stand? A way to reach the throttle’s core, without a blanket caper, or a cold, hard floor?

Share your wisdom, your mechanic’s grace, and save a soul from a chilly embrace. For if there’s a path less draped and sly, I’d welcome the tip before I pry!

Old 04-05-2024, 03:52 PM
Received 177 Likes on 132 Posts

Hi Steve,
Great verse, and I hear you. I was fortunate to acquire a large vinyl cushion, which I placed over the engine to provide a soft surface to lie on.
An outdoor cushion from a sun-lounger or poolside chair would work too.
The other essential is a head-mounted light. My wife took a photo of me hard at work a few years ago.

Hard at work!

The following users liked this post:
Big Koshka (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 05:23 PM
Received 199 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Xjrsteve
Unless, one of you dear souls may have another way?
Yes, actually. For access to bell housing area, the plastic heater-related crossover manifold .... and any other "stuff" to the rear of the engine bay....

... general approach can be literally "cut to suit your needs" and/or crafted as "adjustable" from go.

Ex: Located a stable resting place, fabbed a slab of plywood with reinforcing rib so as to not bend, thereby implementing a re-usable "half table" at the front of the engine bay to lie on. Different vertical supports, etc.

The one for the Rover actually rests on a pair of polywood runners cut to fit as covers for left and right bank intake ports exposed when the plastic intake manifold has been removed. Insures dirt and dropped fasteners are kept out, even has a functional DIY gasket so I can pressure-wash the motor.

Front edge is supported across the bulkhead north of the radiator. A few scraps of stiff foam protect the coachwork.
This is bolted and/or C-clamp / bar clamped in place, of course, lest it surely shift whilst working atop it.

As already contributed, salvaged lawn furniture cushion, already weatherproof in scrubbale Vinyl, reduces bruises to the chest. So far, I am using ordinary bedding pillows enroute to disposal already, as brand-new replacements are always welcome by SWMBO.

The 'taller' Rover additionally wants use of one or several folding aluminium step benches across the front or alongside to clamber up to the table.

80th year ...I am not as flexible as I once was, so I must cheat at every opportunity because .... working more slowly also means I am nowadays IN any of many given painfully awkward positions .......for a longer period of time.

Now and then even a nap, in place ....

...on the bit of El Cheapo fake astroturf carpet I slide under the vehicle to cover the tarmac. Aside from comfort and ease of cleanup, that keeps dropped sockets and fasteners from rolling away down the street. Easily hosed-off, put away for next go. I think it cost all of nine bucks, American, a year or three ago from a remainderman's outlet? Surely beats soggy cardboard.

Last edited by Thermite; 04-05-2024 at 05:34 PM.
04Xjrsteve (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 06:35 PM

Bill, my wife & I thoroughly enjoyed your post!! Thank you!! Wonderful picture!!

Have a great evening!

steve S.

Thermite (04-05-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 10:40 AM
Default Throttle Body Hose Clamps

In the photo, the hose clips on the small hose going onto one of the Throttle Body (TB) nipples is unfamiliar to me. Does anyone know what this clip is called & what tool? Also, what is the round "bell housing" near it & do I need to remove it in order to have better access to the TB.

Thanks, Steve S.

Old 04-06-2024, 11:10 AM

According to GGG on this forum, posting in 2011, it is a Norma Cobra:https://shop.normagroup.com/de_en/no...l#grouped-prod
It shows a tool that looks similar to one I got with my purchase of hose tools, but it isn't at all clear. According to GGG, many folks replace with something else; although he gives an engineer's case for why these should be used. How did you deal with these clips? Did you replace with same?

Old 04-06-2024, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 853 Posts

spread the double bump part away from the single bump with a pick. channel locks to reseat

04Xjrsteve (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 03:12 PM

Thanks, xalty. But too late; I cut the suckers loose. Will experiment with them now that the Throttle Body is on the table.