XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

05 XJ8L - After Replacing Blown Air Strut, Suspesion Rises on Left Side Only

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 09:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 05 XJ8L - After Replacing Blown Air Strut, Suspesion Rises on Left Side Only

So I was gifted a new-to-me 2005 XJ8L that has just 22k miles, caveat is that the car has been sitting for many many years outdoors and in a very poor environment. Before it was parked everything on it was fine, but years of neglect and simply just sitting in place have taken a major toll.

Installed a new battery and it starts right up, runs nice and smooth.

First issue was a noticeable air leak from the left-rear air strut, so I purchased a relatively new set of used Arnotts and installed them. Immediately the suspension came up - though only on half the car.

Checked codes and there was an issue with the purge valve and codes for suspension too low so I replaced the compressor and that issue went away, any I now hear the purge valve working properly.

Figured the front suspension is also suspect as the vehicle has been sitting for so long, so I got a pair or even newer used Arnotts for the front and replaced only the right side for now, and the suspension still has not come up on the right side.

Odd thing is that since those repairs there have been no codes stored in the Air Suspension Module, and live data shows the level sensors giving data. When shaking (pushing up down) the car the data does change. When the car is standing all cockeyed it shows the left side at 60+ and the right side at 60- (not exact numbers). This car is equipped with 1 front level sensor and 2 in the rear.

One other oddity is that there is a traction control light lit in the cluster, but no underlying code stored in any of the modules.

I am going to replace the front left strut today (the right one that came out seemed frozen in place, unlike the newer ones that had a bit of give to them) and see if that helps, but was hoping for any additional insight for the mind hive... thanks in advance!

Old 01-05-2020, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Check height adjusters

Trying jacking up the low corner and monitor height in system. If it stays the same the solenoid or arm are not functioning. If it changes a recalibration may fix the height issues.
The strut may not be frozen. Try bleeding off air pressure. Either by jacking up that corner, or backing off the air fitting right on the strut. Jack car before bleeding the air.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Panelhead
Trying jacking up the low corner and monitor height in system. If it stays the same the solenoid or arm are not functioning. If it changes a recalibration may fix the height issues.
The strut may not be frozen. Try bleeding off air pressure. Either by jacking up that corner, or backing off the air fitting right on the strut. Jack car before bleeding the air.
It isnt just one corner that's down, its both the right front and right rear that remain down and do not come up. But I will try jacking up each corner and see what's what.