XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

'05 XJ8L Sound behind tach

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 XJ8L Sound behind tach

I just picked up a used 2005 XJ8-L two days ago from a dealer, 26,500 miles, seemed like a very good deal. Within one day a noise has appeared behind the dashboard, specifically the tachometer area. It starts a little while after starting the car and sounds like a bad pulley or something, very regular tick tick tick, almost like a quiet clock running fast. It does not speed up when the engine revs are increased, so I don't think it is a valve train issue although it sounds similar to valve tapping. I am extremely upset that something like this has happened so soon, any suggestions or ideas? I plan on seeing the dealer today but would appreciate any insights.

Last edited by Thom2; 03-18-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:32 AM

Thom2:

I have the exact same problem. I just haven't gotten around to trying to figure it out yet, and the car is just out of warranty so I'm on my own.

I have also ruled out the air conditioning - fan speed and/or compressor seem to have no effect on the noise. I have also noticed that it isn't exceptionally loud outside the interior compartment of the vehicle - I perhaps thought it was a valve or the suspension compressor, but it is so quiet outside the vehicle I don't think it is those either.

Please keep me posted on whether or not the dealer can figure anything out. Best to let them track down the source of the problem - would save me hours no doubt.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:36 PM

Phillip:

Just got back from the dealer. The noise is intermittent and of course it wasn't acting up as bad when I got there (isn't this always the case?). I also eliminated air conditioning as a source, happens when it's turned off. Anyway, the head mechanic took a ride with me and mentioned a few things. The tach does make noise even though it's electronic (I originally thought the cable needed oil but immediately realized that it didn't have a cable), and there is a lot going on under the hood on that side of the car and that things are turning on and off depending on conditions at the moment. Also, the temperature of the engine and outside will have an effect on the noise. He didn't hear anything unusual, but again it didn't seem as prominent when I got there. When I got back to work it wasn't acting up at all so at this point I'm going to let it ride and see what happens. It is only noticeable if I have the stereo off and I'm riding in a quiet area, so at this point I'm willing to accept that it's just normal operational noise and I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. Really love the car so I hope that this is nothing.

Last edited by Thom2; 03-18-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tapping sound

I noticed the same noise on my 2004 XJR last year and starting checking into it. The Evaporative purge solenoid is on the drivers side behind the fire wall. This is a pulse width modulated (PWM) solenoid that opens and closes at different cycle rates depending on requirements. It sounds somewhat like a push rod engine lifter tapping. After determining that that was it, I left it. I don't think that it will become an issue unless it fails. It would then most likely set the check engine light

Old 03-18-2009, 03:50 PM

How did you determine what it was? Anyone know what is involved in replacing one?

When you say behind the firewall, are you referring to the interior or the engine compartment?

I agree the noise is minimal but it still drives me crazy. Might be a good weekend project if it isn't too labor intensive.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

This is a post which developed into a sub-topic on the thread from which it was taken, you may want to search for Silver's coments in the thread as well:

KruBruder
Junior Member Join Date: Nov 2008

RE: Actively seeking Suspension solutions p.1 of 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Silver-
I was browsing another thread and came upon a post by Panels about the ticking when it gets cold outside. I have the same ticking noise in the cold and maybe this is the answer.

Quote:
Panels- It is definitely temperature related.
Called the service manager at Jaguar-Minneapolis to see if I could bring it in immediately or make appointment. I described the symptoms and he (service manager) is familiar with the issue, he said it is common as it gets colder. It is a valve that has to do with the fuel pressure relief back to the gas tank. The valve modulates the fuel return line pressure and gets louder as temperature lowers. (Something to do with the vapor return) They have replaced them without any change and do not do it anymore as it makes no difference. If I am still annoyed by the noise they have in the past insulated the valve to deaden the sound. Does not solve the issue but masks the noise

Old 03-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

The information from the Service Manager was incorrect, the car has no fuel return line. This is a new technique to prevent the fuel from getting too hot and causing increased vapor pressure. There is a part of the ECM that regulates the fuel pressure by varying the pump speed based on signals from a fuel pressure sensor in the engine compartment. This valve that we are talking about does not regulate fuel pressure, it just opens the vapor lines. By the way, this car runs at very high fuel pressures (70+ psi), be careful digging around.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Evaporative Purge Solenoid

Thom:

Following is for a 2004. I assume that this is the tapping noise, but can not say for sure. It's up to you whether you want to take a look. The valve is in the left wheel well. Most of us live with the cold tapping...

2004 XJ RANGE - Evaporative Emissions - 303-13

Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Valve 17.15.30
Removal

1. Raise and support the vehicle. <<100-02>>
2. Remove the left-hand front wheel and tire. <<204-04>>
3. Remove the left-hand front fender splash shield. <<501-02>>
4. Remove the bulkhead drain tube.
5. Disconnect the evaporative emission canister purge valve electrical connector.
2009-03-19

6. Disconnect the evaporative emission canister purge valve outlet hose.
7. Disconnect the evaporative emission canister purge valve inlet hose.
8. Remove the evaporative emission canister purge valve.
Installation

2009-03-19

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
2009-03-19

Old 03-22-2009, 11:16 AM

2004 Vanden Plas... same noise, (tick behind tech) the car is going in on Friday to determine what's going on. Thanks for the information, I'll give this to the service writer and see what color his face turns.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:37 PM

You folks are fantastic, many thanks. I'll look into all of these ideas, glad to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. Went out today and it was there off an on, the temps were in the low 50's around here (Delaware) so not sure that it's only a cold weather problem. Really love the car but I could do without the intermittent tick tock. Doesn't seem right on a car of this quality.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:35 PM

Took the car to the dealer yesterday, sales rep agreed that it was making the noise but insisted that the service manager had told him that it was normal. Not happy about that. Wrote an e-mail to the sales manager saying that I would like to be shown another XJ that made this noise. Went back up today and it was obvious to the service manager that mine was making more noise then the one he put me in so they agreed to replace the Evaporative Purge Solenoid, we'll see how that works out, hoping for the best.

If you've had this done I'd be interested in hearing if it solved the problem for you, I started another thread on this.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:57 PM

it's normal, my local dealer told me its a purge valve as well and that they stopped insulating them. Leave it alone, it's a jag consider it one of the many "characteristics" of driving the beast.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

I have an 04 XJ8 and it is silent. No ticking noise at all. I wouldn't let any shop tell you it is normal.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:21 AM

Replacement of the Evaporative purge solenoid worked, been over a week and not a sound.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

Good news indeed!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 04:02 PM

Anybody know the part number of the evap purge solenoid? It should be on the paperwork the dealer gave you...that way I can shop it for a replacement myself.