XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

'06 Super 8 with bad gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 06:08 PM
Received 168 Likes on 112 Posts
Default '06 Super 8 with bad gearbox

Hello,

I usually participate in the 308 Forums, but a Jag Club member near me has this car, that has been diagnosed as bad Metatronix valvebody/shift module component failure.

I will be going to see the car, and speak to the service tech that did the diag.

I spent some time here searching forums, and looking up prices of the parts, and have come to the preliminary conclusion to allow $7-8,000 for a full rebuild. The car has 150,00Km/ 90.000 miles.

A used gearbox may be a waste on a Super 8. Question #1: is the S/C car have the same 6HP26 gearbox as the NA? I thought I could find this info quickly on-line, but no.

I see from the JDHT site that there are 3 part numbers for the valve body/ module: C2C24598, C2C 27751, C2C 33532, depending on VIN.

Searching prices for these show $3-4,000. Forum members here say $5-8,000 for a complete rebuild.

I love the Super 8, and own a '99VDP SC, but I don't want to get emotional and buy this one unprepared.

Are there any "get out of jail free cards?"

Thanks, and good luck with your Jaguars,

Rob

Old 05-12-2020, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 637 Posts

What exactly has or is failing .Do you know?

Old 05-12-2020, 09:26 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Laughton
Hello,

I usually participate in the 308 Forums, but a Jag Club member near me has this car, that has been diagnosed as bad Metatronix valvebody/shift module component failure.

I will be going to see the car, and speak to the service tech that did the diag.

I spent some time here searching forums, and looking up prices of the parts, and have come to the preliminary conclusion to allow $7-8,000 for a full rebuild. The car has 150,00Km/ 90.000 miles.

A used gearbox may be a waste on a Super 8. Question #1: is the S/C car have the same 6HP26 gearbox as the NA? I thought I could find this info quickly on-line, but no.

I see from the JDHT site that there are 3 part numbers for the valve body/ module: C2C24598, C2C 27751, C2C 33532, depending on VIN.

Searching prices for these show $3-4,000. Forum members here say $5-8,000 for a complete rebuild.

I love the Super 8, and own a '99VDP SC, but I don't want to get emotional and buy this one unprepared.

Are there any "get out of jail free cards?"

Thanks, and good luck with your Jaguars,

Rob

Rob,

If the gearbox is bad - walk; period. You have been warned.

Here is the deal...

Get codes.

If it's the valve body they can be found - used but typically do not go bad.

Used trans.

If its SC then you have to source a 6HP26 from a SC vehicle. You will even see a "SC" designation on the sticker vs. "NA".

DONT even think of installing a NA 6HP26 trans in a SC vehicle. Yes, both NA and SC vehicles carry the 6HP26 but there are different versions that I outlined above.

Yes, $5 - $7K for a full rebuild.

I'll refer back to my original point. If your thought is to buy.. walk away. You'll thank me later....

The following users liked this post:
jackra_1 (05-14-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 09:27 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Most "cost efficient" option would be to find a used 6HP26 from a supercharged vehicle, service it fully, including bridge and tube seals and roll the dice.... if your a gambling man.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:31 AM

Hi again,
Thank you all for your advice and caution!

I'm going to look at the car - just look!

I'll speak to the tech also. The owner has this description: not shifting right, computer not working or communicating with other computers in the car.

Thanks for letting me know how to ID a SC transmission. I couldn't understand why all sites just said 6HP26. Jag always used a stronger gearbox for SC cars.

In searching for a used one, I came up empty.

I see from the Jaguar site that there are 5 part numbers for SC gearboxes by VIN. This '06 would need the latest C2C 33743. Does anyone know if an earlier one would work?

The valve body C2C 33532 is the same for all.

The book value for one of these cars is low teens if working well, so I'd have to get very cheaply to proceed.

I'll report about the codes, and provide some pix in a couple of days.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 05-14-2020, 10:04 AM
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Laughton
Hi again,
Thank you all for your advice and caution!

I'm going to look at the car - just look!

I'll speak to the tech also. The owner has this description: not shifting right, computer not working or communicating with other computers in the car.

Thanks for letting me know how to ID a SC transmission. I couldn't understand why all sites just said 6HP26. Jag always used a stronger gearbox for SC cars.

In searching for a used one, I came up empty.

I see from the Jaguar site that there are 5 part numbers for SC gearboxes by VIN. This '06 would need the latest C2C 33743. Does anyone know if an earlier one would work?

The valve body C2C 33532 is the same for all.

The book value for one of these cars is low teens if working well, so I'd have to get very cheaply to proceed.

I'll report about the codes, and provide some pix in a couple of days.

Thanks,
Rob
See if you can drive it around the neighborhood and report back what you see and feel.

If there's a transmission communication issue it could very well be the mechatronic sleeve seal leaking into the connections. This causes the transmission to only engage P R N and 2nd.
Disconnect battery, get under the car with a flat screw driver, twist and pull the electric cable. If you see fluid in there you have your answer. Spray it down with electronics cleaner and clear codes. Had this happen to me, this got me through until a new seal arrived.
Inspect the spark plugs and coils, look for oil in spark plug wells. Misfires create shifting and jerking issues, always look at this before diving into the transmission itself. FYI, this car is not quick to give misfire codes for some reason so you may not anyways know you a misfire until it's bad, know from experience as well.
If the computer does start to throw misfire codes it can also throw a communication error code, I forget the actual code from memory, usually happens with bad misfires. This might be one of the error codes your buddy is seeing. If that's the case new plugs and coils, even cam(valve) cover seals if you find oil in the plug wells. Oil in plug wells will shorten the life of your coils.

If it's just slipping on gear shifts high chance it's time to replace the solenoids along with associated tube, bridge and sleeve seals.

The following 2 users liked this post by BlackKat:
Panthro (05-18-2020), Tigre (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Used trannys are available on Ebay however the listing will nearly always state "will fit 2005 XJR" when its really only fits the NA car.

That is what I found when looking for my 2005 XJR.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:48 AM

Thank you all for your input.
I looked at the car, and overall it seemed neglected and had been sitting a while.
It had snow tires on aftermarket rims. I didn't see the summer wheels.
It still has the air suspension, and as the seller had the car running when I got there, I'm not sure if there was a leak, or it pumped up.
Interior was very dirty, but no damage,
I didn't bother asking the tech for codes etc, I just assumed the worst and made a low offer. Maybe he'll call back.
There were 2 missing panels in the front bumper, that go between the fog light and the center.
Overall, the car didn't scream "OMG it's great, I must fix this". I think to fix this car will cost the same as buying a working one.
I'll let you know,
Rob

Colm O (06-12-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

If it were me, I'd look for another car. Any car that is dirty inside and neglected will be a shedload of trouble.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:26 PM

So, 3 weeks after I made a low offer, the car's mine. I need to see a shrink!

I haven't started on the trans issue, just polished it up, as you do.

I did take for a ride. All seemed normal under gentle throttle, until I squeezed it a bit, and it went to limp home. It went to neutral, rev'd a bit and that was it.

I still have D R P

I did try using contact cleaner on the plug at the sleeve, but no go.

My local Jag tech will come and read the codes, and I'll go from there.

Here's a pic beside my '99 VDP SC younger bro.

Cheers,
Rob

The following 2 users liked this post by Robert Laughton:
Colm O (06-12-2020), gta919 (06-03-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 09:02 PM
Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Robert,

It looks to me like a car with great potential. Keep us posted with your findings on the gearbox! If you love it enough, its worth fixing and it is very satisfying to get such a beautiful car back in good condition step by step. Research, and patience and a few bags of cash should do the trick.

None of us should be keeping these cars for their low maintenence or return on investment.

Jeff

Old 06-04-2020, 04:16 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

I do love a Super V8 - There was a time when they were out of my range, then they got reasonable. I don't expect them to go any lower and in fact I think they past the bottom and are starting to come up lately. That is indeed a potential beauty, assuming you can get the gearbox straightened out. Unfortunately I thing SC Valve-bodies are going to be a bit harder to source, and if you buy used, get a warranty or make sure they will take it back if its botched.

Ivory interior. (or Dove?) Nice. My VDP is well optioned - including 4 zone Climate. The only Super V8 goodies I am missing are the reclining rear seat, Premium ICE/DVD and Adaptive Cruise control. Oh.. and the Super Engine in Super V8. Just as well, my licence might not survive it, lol.

Seriously good luck with it. Once its right again you will find its a world class car for its time period, and has a lot to love. I have had X308's and X350's All wonderful, but different flavors. Would love your thoughts on the differences. Especially size/proportions. I like the X350's size, but feel like the front/rear sections are bit stumpy, ala' 7 Series & Mercedes S Class - German proportions on a Jag, sort of, but still prettier than anything from Stuttgart or Munich and more exclusivity. No one can fault your taste in vehicle.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:17 PM
Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Robert,

Check your private messages for some details about my gearbox problems which you might find helpful. I'm sure everyone on here is sick of hearing about it.

Regards
Jeff

Old 06-04-2020, 05:21 PM

Thanks John, Jeff, Frazer, Black Kat, Abonano, Meiron....

My local Jag Tech came by and read the codes:
U0101 - lost communication with trans module
U0402 - Invalid data received from Trans Module

I'm going to try a new battery, and check grounds at the front.

I drove the car twice. At first, driven gently, it shifted normally. When pushes a bit it went into neutral (flared), then continued to drive with Fault appearing.

Jeff, I just got your message thanks

Rob

Old 06-04-2020, 06:04 PM

PS The sound system in this car is really good!

I can't drive it, so I have been sitting in it, listening.

Rob

Old 06-12-2020, 03:41 AM
Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Best of luck....when you get it right, it will be beautiful.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:19 AM

Thanks Colm,
I brought home a used gearbox yesterday.

I'm going to try easy first; swap the Mechatronics from the used gearbox into the Super 8, along with new seals, filter and fluid.

It may or may not need programming, according to some techs.

I will report.

Thanks,
Rob

Tigre (06-13-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 06:54 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

We are all interested in the transmission diagnosis ...... as well as what your shrink has to say.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 637 Posts

I would check for oil in the mechatronic connector first.

It could be as simple as that.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Lets hope its that simple to fix

Quick Reply: '06 Super 8 with bad gearbox