XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

'06 Super 8 with bad gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 02:27 AM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

3 Black Cats?!! Best of luck to you, as everyone has pointed out that car looks incredible. I was pining for a nice Super V8 last year, and ended up going with a driving VDP. I am still navigating air ride issues, after clearing up thermostat issues earlier this spring. In my case, I am above economic input compared to having bought the car I wanted in the first place :/

Either way, let us know how it goes! The information will prove helpful to more of us loonies

Originally Posted by Robert Laughton

The following users liked this post:
Tigre (06-20-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 06:20 AM
Received 168 Likes on 112 Posts

Hi folks, remember me?

I've been very slow on this job.

So the latest is that I bought a used gearbox from an accident car, and swapped in the Mechatronics, using new seals and fluid.

I was careful to get a transmission with the same Jag part number for the Mechatronics inside. They had the same Bosch # too.

With the help of a Jag tech, he cleared the adaptations, and we did a drive cycle. After, the transmission shifted well; no more weird shifting and slipping out of gear as before.

The "No communication" codes are gone.

We drove the car a short way, and all seemed good! It was nice to feel the power of the car.

Back at the shop, and using a borrowed IDS laptop, the check engine light was now on.

P2610-87 - Internal Engine Off Timer

P1797 - CAN/TCM DSCM network malfunction
possible cause:
- CAN open circuit TCM to ECM
- CAN short
-ECM failure
-TCM/control valve failure.

The tech want to check wiring between ECU and TCM and shifter. I'm working on removing the center console to remove the shifter. The ECU is buried under the cabin air filter.

With the check engine light on, I'm told the transmission can no longer complete its "learn" cycle.

Thanks for listening. Any comments appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob

Old 08-12-2020, 12:05 PM
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Recheck the TCM connector at transmission. Very possible mechatronic seal did not seat properly or has failed. Have the plugs and coils been inspected?

Old 08-12-2020, 12:50 PM
Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Robert,

Thanks for keeping us up to date. I'm very interested in hearing if you get to the bottom of this problem.

Best Regards (and luck)
Jeff

Old 08-12-2020, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Laughton
Back at the shop, and using a borrowed IDS laptop, the check engine light was now on.

P2610-87 - Internal Engine Off Timer

P1797 - CAN/TCM DSCM network malfunction
possible cause:
- CAN open circuit TCM to ECM
- CAN short
-ECM failure
-TCM/control valve failure.

The tech want to check wiring between ECU and TCM and shifter. I'm working on removing the center console to remove the shifter. The ECU is buried under the cabin air filter.

With the check engine light on, I'm told the transmission can no longer complete its "learn" cycle.

Thanks for listening. Any comments appreciated.
Interesting that the code points to CAN failure between the DSCM and ECM/TCM. It does sit between those two and may be part of the issue unrelated to the ECM or TCM. I'd agree with checking out the CAN wiring between all components in between J-gate and ECM. Also check that the PCM termination resistor (120 ohm) is correct. See the CAN network diagram below:

Old 08-14-2020, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 281 Posts

Also, the Jag FSM gives a slightly different code description for 1797. Specifically CAN network failure between ECM and TCM. The 2610 code is also pointing to network issues.

P1797 - CAN TCM/ECM network malfunction
Possible causes: CAN open circuit fault - TCM to ECM, CAN short circuit fault, ECM failure, TCM/Control valve failure
For CAN tests, Communications Network For transmission tests, Contact dealer technical support for advice on possible ECM failure

P261087 - ECM/PCM Internal engine off timer performance
Possible Causes: ECT sensor fault, Ambient temperature sensor fault, Body processor module fault (time), CAN error
Check for DTCs indicating a fault with any of the components listed. Follow the action listed for those DTCs.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:17 AM

Thank you mhamilton, Black Kat, and JCalhoun

I really appreciate the help. This is for me, and very high tech car.

That diagram is perfect! thanks.

I'll be getting some help from local Jag techs here, that are willing to come to me.

Black Kat, I've felt that this engine also has a miss occasionally, so will definitely inspect the coils and plugs. Maybe there's oil leaking around the coils.

I'm going to get a new battery too.

I'm away for a few days but will report.

I'll have a beer at the lake for you!

Cheers,

Rob

Old 09-27-2020, 01:58 AM

Any progress taming your wild cat?

Old 09-30-2020, 07:37 AM

Hi Nate,

I think it's finally fixed!

After the Mechatronics swap, I was getting missfire codes, which put it in Restricted, and confused me. New plugs and fresh gas with injector cleaner, and I drove it 25 miles without incident. The car had been sitting, so may have had water in the gas as well. Also a new battery, which I've been told can cure lots of problems. I can't explain why the........

P1797 - CAN TCM/ECM network malfunction
Possible causes: CAN open circuit fault - TCM to ECM, CAN short circuit fault, ECM failure, TCM/Control valve failure
For CAN tests, Communications Network For transmission tests, Contact dealer technical support for advice on possible ECM failure

P261087 - ECM/PCM Internal engine off timer performance
Possible Causes: ECT sensor fault, Ambient temperature sensor fault, Body processor module fault (time), CAN error
Check for DTCs indicating a fault with any of the components listed. Follow the action listed for those DTCs.

.........codes are gone

I drove carefully at first, trying to do the transmission-learn thing. Then later felt the full power for the first time.

Now, if I can only get the Tire pressure monitor light to go out!

What a great car! I totally love it! It's a fantastic blend of style, comfort, power and performance.

Sorry I've been so slow. When I retired I bought a few Jag projects and now I'm finding it hard to do them all. This one is too new for me technoligically as well.

Thanks to all who helped me. I'll take another drive today, with fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Rob

Old 09-30-2020, 12:20 PM

I guess Black Kat was right: Funny that the misfire codes only showed later, after the gearbox codes were cleared.

"Inspect the spark plugs and coils, look for oil in spark plug wells. Misfires create shifting and jerking issues, always look at this before diving into the transmission itself. FYI, this car is not quick to give misfire codes for some reason so you may not anyways know you a misfire until it's bad, know from experience as well.
If the computer does start to throw misfire codes it can also throw a communication error code, I forget the actual code from memory, usually happens with bad misfires. This might be one of the error codes your buddy is seeing. If that's the case new plugs and coils, even cam(valve) cover seals if you find oil in the plug wells. Oil in plug wells will shorten the life of your coils."

Old 09-30-2020, 01:17 PM

So it sounds like you got by with a mechatronics swap + new coils? Hope it's smooth sailing from here!

What's been your total repair bill to get it driving?

Old 09-30-2020, 03:13 PM

Nate,
The costs:
Used gearbox..........$1500 I only used the Mechatronix, still have the rest.
New fluid, filter, seals ZF......$350
Battery...................................$200
Plugs.....................................$150
Total......................................$2,200.

I drove again today, and it's going well. It's got a nice throaty exhaust sound. Now to check routine servicing, and start a record.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:17 PM

Beautiful!

Old 10-04-2020, 01:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great to hear! Enjoy it.