XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

06 super v8 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 11:20 PM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 06 super v8 ?

Hi all - I am the proud 'new' owner of an '06 Super V8, and the trans is being dropped tomorrow for some warranty work (unbelievably, the warranty company is actually living up to the full list of stuff covered, 'lines and hoses' for the AC) - what is covered in this case is the AC drain hose has stopped 'draining' and factory recommended fix is to drop the trans

while this is going on, I am interested in any thoughts on parts that can be changed or inspected while the trans is dropped, for example, I plan to change the rear main seal which I understand is under $40 for the part

sorry for the last minute ?, it is being dropped tomorrow, any ideas / feedback is very much appreciated - car has <40k miles and is in great shape, and other than the AC, working great!

I am not using the local jag dealer, rather a great independent place that has worked on previous cars for me

Old 08-22-2016, 07:22 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Curious what warranty work justified dropping the tranny? anyway not really an expert here, but I probably would want to change out the fluid and pan gasket on the tranny if you can get OEM fluid, otherwise I would do it at another time when the fluid is available. The torque converter can cause problems and that may be something to consider if there were some pre existing issues with transmission operation
RyeJag

The following users liked this post:
Don B (08-23-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 11:59 AM

Thanks dropping the trans to fix AC drain hose. That is factory recommended fix.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:46 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Sorry for seeing this a day later, but I'd suggest having them check the trans mount and both engine mounts while they are under there. All three of mine were shot, but I also had 125 k miles on the car when I bought it.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 11:25 AM
Default Thanks!

Appreciate it I sighted those already and they look virtually new looks like already changed out not too long ago, I know they tend to go with age not just miles

Old 08-23-2016, 06:16 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by JaegerJag
Appreciate it I sighted those already and they look virtually new looks like already changed out not too long ago, I know they tend to go with age not just miles
That's good.

One simple test is to open the bonnet and have someone watch the engine movement while you rev the engine in drive and in reverse with your foot firmly on the brakes. My engine jumped up quite a bit on the left side in drive but not so much in reverse even though I found that both mounts had ruptured and completely separated and only the safety straps limited the engine rotation.