XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

'06 Super V8 Brake Booster Vacuum Line Connection Location

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 11:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '06 Super V8 Brake Booster Vacuum Line Connection Location

When I removed the throttle body for a much needed cleaning, I accidentally pulled out the brake booster hard line from its connection somewhere to manifold vacuum and can not find where it is supposed to go. Being a hard line, it kind of points itself in the right direction over the top of the intake plenum and down somewhere on the right side. I have attached a photo of it rotated up.

I have read on several threads here that it slips into an O-ring port, possibly on the elbow of the manifold, but can not find that location. Does it point down to connect or back toward the left side? Being a supercharged engine only seems to complicate matters. Any help greatly appreciated.

I also came across the component in the second photo. I'm pretty sure I didn't disturb it and am wondering if it should connect somewhere or does it just hang loose?

Where does this attach?

Mystery Component

Last edited by thegreenjaguar; 12-30-2022 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2022, 12:30 PM
Received 179 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi thegreenjaguar,
That connection fits into a hole on the elbow below the throttle body. There is a push-in connector, but since the heat of the engine has probably made the o-ring hard and useless, you should buy this part: C2S15816, Brake Booster Vacuum Repair. It is the plastic fitting and the o-ring inside the yellow ellipse below.
The o-ring fits inside the plastic part and that pushes into the brass socket on the elbow. The vacuum hose then pushes straight in, and is sealed by the o-ring.

Vacuum connection to elbow

Vacuum connection to elbow

Pete M

The following users liked this post:
thegreenjaguar (12-30-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 01:39 PM

Hi Pete,

Thank you so much for the informative reply. I'm going to have a look at it this afternoon.

Ian - thegreenjaguar

Old 12-30-2022, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,438 Likes on 1,915 Posts

If your interested I had a large thread on this when I had my 2005 S Type R. Has a few pictures. Have you taken the blower off before?
Brake Booster Vacuum Leak

thegreenjaguar (12-30-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 09:32 PM

Thanks clubairth1 for the additional reply. I did read through the thread and there is a lot of info there. I went for the Hail Mary quick fix and did blindly get the hard line into the O-ring port and started the car and confirmed this was the problem. The good news ends there because the seal is not sound and pretty much backs out just by the normal vibration of the engine. A new seal is required and I'm hoping my local Jag dealer parts department will be open New Year's Eve, tomorrow. Yelp says yes, even with Saturday/holiday hours.
After reading the thread and various opinions stated, I agree this is far from a great design. I suspect it is due to Jags essentially starting out as RHD designs but with the booster on the left side on a LHD version, why still make this connection on the right side? The elbow is wide open on the left side and access is so much better. Also, why this elaborate sealing system on a vacuum line? They seal themselves and don't even need a clamp. I'm tempted to modify mine and make the connection on the left side but I will still have to block off the original hole and the job will end up taking more time than just replacing the original seal.
That's my rant.
Regarding the supercharger, I have not removed it but may have to soon. It is starting to knock a bit.
Any ideas on the mystery part in my second photo? The reason I ask is because I did have a shop replace the valley hose about a year ago and I am now finding out that the workmanship was not the greatest. I am wondering if they failed to put it back in the proper location.

Old 12-31-2022, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry I can't identify that part? Some kind of vacuum check valve maybe? I don't remember seeing that on my S Type R?
Oh please do change the SC oil too. With these M112 Eaton's the oil can be changed while the SC is mounted on the engine but pretty simple when it's on the bench.

Hope you can post back what that vacuum device is too?

Old 01-01-2023, 08:20 PM

I got the repair kit from a local dealer and got it installed and it's running fine. My method was to remove the attaching bolt on the dashpot type thing on the elbow (sorry, these cars are so complicated that I can't give more specific names). This allowed me to rotate it out of the way and have visual access to the vacuum port with the elbow in place. With that done, the rest is pretty straightforward.
I did not find a place for the mystery part to attach so it remains loose. It was not causing any issues before and I don't expect any now but it just doesn't seem right that it just dangles where it is.
I considered removing the supercharger for service but that will have to wait for now.

Thanks for all the pointers

Old 01-02-2023, 02:46 AM
Received 179 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi
That mystery component is some sort of vacuum check valve or limiter. It's described in the parts diagram as a vacuum hose. I remember it from doing my supercharger. It just hangs there beside the elbow. Both the ends are connected, but it doesn't have anywhere to fit onto.

Vacuum hose

Description

I hope this helps solve the mystery.

Pete M

thegreenjaguar (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member

You found it!
Now if someone can explain what it does?

Old 01-02-2023, 09:51 AM

Thanks Pete M,

That's definitely it so thanks for the confirmation. From the illustration, it looks like it could go into a clip of some sort but I could not find one. I'm not going to worry about it.

Cheers!