XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

07 XJR Ball Joint Replacement (control arms & tie rod ends)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 03:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 07 XJR Ball Joint Replacement (control arms & tie rod ends)

New member to the forum but I've done lots of digging here. I appreciate everyone in this forum immensely, you guys have helped me learn so much about this beauty in the past year I've had her.

I was having issues with my air suspension (a very common issue apparently) and after doing a good bit of research I decided it would be best to convert to coil suspension. I know the air suspension is more luxurious, but the thought of having to fix it near constantly was enough for me to make the switch, I don't care THAT much about the smooth ride.

So I did that today, used the Arnott conversion kit and took about 5 hours with the help of a community garage (the lift was a life-saver) and a mechanically-inclined friend (this project was the first I've ever taken on myself - I've never worked on cars before but want to learn so he was basically babysitting my project and assisting when needed - which admittedly was pretty often lol).. The process was a pretty simple one overall, but definitely took a bit of gentle wrangling to get all the parts in place.

While I was behind the tires, I discovered that pretty much every ball joint is nearly shot. The front upper ball joints need to be replaced, and I'm just gonna replace the entire control arms. I saw on this forum that the part can be replaced with the Lemforder Lincoln LS arm, so I might do that, but I'm also looking on Rock Auto and seeing the proper parts for decent prices, under the brands MOOG, Ultra-Power, and Centric. Does anyone have experience with these brands and can offer some input on the quality? I'm not super familiar with brands in this realm, and it didn't take much research to find out Arnott was a quality choice for my suspension, but I'm not finding a lot of reviews for the brands I'm seeing for these other parts.

If there's other places I can get front uppers, tie rod ends, and rear lowers in the US please let me know.. I'm a little sketch about ordering from Ebay because I've never used it before and want to make sure I'm spending my money with reputable sources. I recently learned about Rock Auto when I was searching for the conversion kit, I've been taking it to a shop for regular maintenance so buying parts was never something I really looked into until now.

I'm wanting to make this my project car so I'll probably be back here for more advice over the next few months/years. I just love my car so much and want to learn how to take the best care of her so I don't ever have to worry about putting her in the wrong hands. I'm so happy to be part of this community and I look forward to all the knowledge I'll gain from all the other amazing Jag lovers out there