XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

07 XJR Brake Job Finished

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 07 XJR Brake Job Finished

Since this model is a little different from regular XJ8s or the earlier XJR with the Brembo system I thought I would add a few thoughts on replacing the pads and rotors for the late XJR.

1. Don't buy the listed Akebono ceramic pads - they don't fit the front calipers. This car has unique front calipers made by Ate and the correct pads have a clip which fits into the piston.

2. I had Textar semi-metallic pads on the car. They wore out in 20,000 miles, spewed out dust like a volcano, scored the rotors, but they really stopped the car well! I replaced them with Centric Posi-Quiet ceramic pads which are quiet, low dust and should greatly outlast the Textars. They don't brake as well, alas.

3. The front caliper bolts (hidden behind dust caps) take a 9mm hex socket; the rear calipers need a 7mm hex socket. These are not found in most sets so you'll have to buy them (and don't bother looking in Autozone!).

4. The rear rotors came off easily, but the fronts took a lot of Liquid Wrench and plenty of hammering to remove.

5. I installed AC Delco Durastop rotors; they seem fine. I'm not sure what the point of fancy rotors is - their job is to wear out, no?

6. Before you disconnect the battery release the electronic parking brake. Otherwise when you reconnect the juice the car will not realize the brake is on and you will not be able to move the car without touching the negative cable to the positive terminal of the battery to clear the memory (I had to call the dealer on that one!). If you do it right, though, the only thing that may get lost is your seat position memory and the auto-up window memory (and of course the clock).

I'm not a particularly gifted or experienced mechanic; in fact, I'd only changed pads and rotors once before. But this job wasn't all that difficult once I had read the service manual; it did take longer than I had expected but I think the secret to this job (if you're new to it) is taking your time.