XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

1 week on.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1 week on.....

I have now had my car to enjoy for a whole week! I love it. Parking sensors don't like the cold and the CDC cartridge wont eject but other than that...no real issues.

The heater does not seem as hot as it should. Is this a characteristic of these or is there a reset function ( I Know some fords around the same era had to be reset occasionally). It has had a back flush and replacement heater matrix.

Here are some pictures taken this morning.

Attached Thumbnails 1 week on.....-jag1.jpg   1 week on.....-jag2sm.jpg   1 week on.....-jag3.jpg   1 week on.....-jag6sm.jpg   1 week on.....-jag7sm.jpg  

Old 03-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Cchrysos
I have now had my car to enjoy for a whole week! I love it. Parking sensors don't like the cold and the CDC cartridge wont eject but other than that...no real issues.

The heater does not seem as hot as it should. Is this a characteristic of these or is there a reset function ( I Know some fords around the same era had to be reset occasionally). It has had a back flush and replacement heater matrix.

Here are some pictures taken this morning.
Is your temp gauge getting up to normal (center tick mark)? There's an auxiliary coolant pump to assist water flow through the heater core at low rpm. Also have read about heater core flushes being needed. But there's not really a reset (assuming you mean for the auto climate control).

Old 03-27-2013, 12:26 PM

Thanks Mhamilton.
Yes, it is exactly where it should be...centre mark.
The heater core was flushed and replaced just before i bought it apparently.
Ill check to see if it is not so hot just when at low speed or when driving.

Thanks for the info!!

Old 03-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

pretty car! Its nice to hear someone so excited as I feel everyday.

The following users liked this post:
Cchrysos (03-31-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Cchrysos
Thanks Mhamilton.
Yes, it is exactly where it should be...centre mark.
The heater core was flushed and replaced just before i bought it apparently.
Ill check to see if it is not so hot just when at low speed or when driving.

Thanks for the info!!
Oh I didn't notice you had an XJ6 when I posted before.. I don't think your engine uses the aux coolant pump (only the V8s). In that case I might look at the coolant control valve or another heater core flush.

Cchrysos (03-31-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 06:54 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Congrads on your new Jag, beautiful car. Is the temperature coming up to set point in the cab as you drive? If the temperature in the car is near the point you have it set to the air coming out of the heater system is not very hot, it adjusts itself accordingly.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Received 217 Likes on 113 Posts

Well done on your purchase they are great cars,

Regards the cd changer not ejecting try resetting the changer (it has a small reset button on the front face) use a ball point pen.

JimC64 (11-05-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Hi Cchrysos.

Sometimes the fan control unit fails, and you only get air into the car when moving, (and not much then, either !). This little unit is mounted on top of the heater fan behind the glove box, and is about a 40 minute job to swap out. I believe this part was improved on later cars by putting bigger cooling fins on it.

I think Jaguar Racing Green/Ivory leather is one of the nicest combinations. Only thing different with mine is being a Sport it has grey-stained birds-eye maple wood work, and not much chrome work - only the bumper trims remain chrome, but I have since added some more, plus a stainless steel mesh grill from Adamesh.

Cchrysos (03-31-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 08:50 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Well your car is beautiful, I really like the color combination. As far as the heater, I find that on a long drive in the winter, it simply does not put out enough heat. On short drives it is great. I have heard that there is a water circulator pump in the front near the top of the radiator that may be suspect. There is much discussion about back flushing the heater core as well. I plan to check it out shortly now that the weather has warmed up and it a better time to work on cars.
RyeJag

Cchrysos (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Clamdigger
Congrads on your new Jag, beautiful car. Is the temperature coming up to set point in the cab as you drive? If the temperature in the car is near the point you have it set to the air coming out of the heater system is not very hot, it adjusts itself accordingly.
Hi Clamdigger - thanks.

Even when i set the temp to 1 degrees or HI, it still feels cooler than i would expect.
I am living with it at the moment...it will be a lo priority job for now i think...may jump up the list if the cooling doesn't work when the hot weather finally arrives though ;-)

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Chrys

Old 03-31-2013, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Hi Cchrysos.

Sometimes the fan control unit fails, and you only get air into the car when moving, (and not much then, either !). This little unit is mounted on top of the heater fan behind the glove box, and is about a 40 minute job to swap out. I believe this part was improved on later cars by putting bigger cooling fins on it.

I think Jaguar Racing Green/Ivory leather is one of the nicest combinations. Only thing different with mine is being a Sport it has grey-stained birds-eye maple wood work, and not much chrome work - only the bumper trims remain chrome, but I have since added some more, plus a stainless steel mesh grill from Adamesh.
Thanks Fraser. Ill check that out! I do get air flow...just not as warm as i expect but it is certainly worth a look. I had a quick look at the trim under the glovebox and it does look like it has previously been 'disturbed'

I see you have a 77 midget. I have a '77 spitfire. Had it for 20 years and restored it a few years ago. I have pictures in the gallery if you are interested. It has the same engine and 'box as yours.

I would never have chosen a Jag in the racing green if i had free choice but once i saw it, i really liked it. I do like the look of the sport version. I am going to change my grill for a mesh grill but will probably keep the chrome surround for now.....we shall see how that looks.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Chrys

Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by ryejag
Well your car is beautiful, I really like the color combination. As far as the heater, I find that on a long drive in the winter, it simply does not put out enough heat. On short drives it is great. I have heard that there is a water circulator pump in the front near the top of the radiator that may be suspect. There is much discussion about back flushing the heater core as well. I plan to check it out shortly now that the weather has warmed up and it a better time to work on cars.
RyeJag
Thanks RyeJag. Nice of you to say!

I think i will try a back flush again once the weather picks up too.

Many Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Chrys

Old 03-31-2013, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by caldoofy
Well done on your purchase they are great cars,

Regards the cd changer not ejecting try resetting the changer (it has a small reset button on the front face) use a ball point pen.
Hi Caldoofy, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I had a look but could not see a reset button on mine. WHere is it please?

I previously released it by taking the changer out, opening it up and freeing the mecanism. Interestingly, it was disc 1 that was stuck both times. If i take it out again, i will try not loading tray 1 ;-)

Cheers

Chrys

Old 11-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Cchrysos, I have the same car as you in white on white and they are beautiful cars but I am having the same low heat problem as you. I see your post was from Marchof this year. Now its November and getting cold so I was Wondering what or if you ended up finding the problem. I have been told to check the aux coolant pump up front by the radiator. Mine doesnt get as hot as I want, blower fan is always trying to heat up interior and stays on. I can get the car warmed up but I have to put the temp control on 89 deg just to maintain say 75 deg. The engine temp gauge is right in the middle where it belongs so engine is at temp. Coolant level is topped off. Does this sound like yours? Curious what you ended up finding wrong.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:38 AM

Hi Capress.

White on white is unusual...would like to see a picture of that!

I have actually done nothing im afraid. It doesn't seem too bad at the moment but i guess it has not been below 10 degrees for a while.

Im still not convinced it truly follows the suggested temperatures but it does seem to be better if you use Auto mode. If ind you always need it a bit higher than suggested to get really warm air.

Setting it to Hi and putting the blower on the dash vents only does throw out warm (but not hot) air.

Sorry i can't be of more help.

Chrys

Old 11-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I REALLY hope somebody chimes in on this, as I fought this demon last year. Eventually my Indy mechanic changed the heater core,

Here's where it gets weird: with the new heater core, the dash vents blew out BLAZING hot air. Unfortunately, after about 2 weeks, it went back to only warm air on the 2 drivers-side vents. It was frustrating and I didn't want to throw any more money at it. From what I understand it's probably either the auxiliary pump or <gasp> one of the flaps/ doors inside the dash.

So if anybody has any ideas, please list them.

On the other hand, I love this car probably as much or more than any car I've ever owned. I think you will too.

Oh - and Jaguar Racing Green is simply awesome.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Well you can feel if the aux pump is running by putting you hand on it-near top of rad.

The other point is does it blow hot air out of all the other vents and is the air

flow from the warm vents reduced?

If that is the case it seems to me to point to a lazy flap-there are seven

altogether I believe.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:29 AM

I hope you get it sorted.
Following the thread being re-ignited, i tested mine last night.
Here is what i find:

Temp set to 31 degrees:
The dash and floor vents blow warm air when selected.
The floor blows warm air when selected.
When selecting the dash and floor vents, the floor blows warm but the dash blows cold.

Temp set to Hi does the same as above.

Set to auto defrost mode (full blower on screen vents and full heat):
The screen blows hot air.

So it seems the screen vents blow cold unless in defrost mode.
The other vents seems ok.

The rear footwell vents blow warm as do the rear face vents...the flow is a little weak though.

Not sure if this helps....but more info is more knowledge!

Good luck...keep us informed if you find anything please.

PS..I have now had the car for 7 months and covered 10k miles. I love it. A few odd niggles ( I think the gearbox may need some work and the suspension seems intermittently harsher than normal) but i do love it. The family love it too as it stops my son getting car sick and the kids get to watch films on long movies.

Chrys

Old 11-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

I have found my heater is playing up too.

It only blows warm air out of the passenger vents and blows cold air out of the drivers vent (for warm/hot air).

When using AC on cold it blows cold air out of all vents as normal.

So for the first texan cold day start my side of the windscreen was condensated and the passenger side was clear.

Any one any idea's? Change a out a relay, fuse somewhere maybe?

Old 11-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Has anybody changed the DCCV?
That's the first thing to change. If you have one!

Rrd623 (11-05-2013)

Quick Reply: 1 week on.....