XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2000 XJ8 cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2024 | 08:03 PM
|
Default 2000 XJ8 cranks but wont start

I was cleaning the map sensor on the air filter box and then put it back on and then try to start it and it tries to start the first time you turn the key then dies and then then after that, it just cranks.
All I did was take off that sensor clean it with a Q-tip and put it back on. It ran good before that and would start right up every time since I’ve owned this thing for all five years. If I let it sit overnight and try to start it, it cranks and starts for a second and then dies and then it just cranks. I can’t believe it’s the fuel pump all of a sudden like that. Fuse 7 has power and the pump relay is clicking. I've pulled the fuel filter and going to get new one. You have to blow hard on it to get air through it and looks like original filter. Car has little over 140,000 miles.

Old 10-18-2024 | 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

The Q-tip could have damaged the sensor.
You only spray it with the cleaner to clean it.

Old 10-18-2024 | 09:16 AM
|

Originally Posted by Wingrider
The Q-tip could have damaged the sensor.
You only spray it with the cleaner to clean it.
that’s what I thought so I bought another sensor and installed it in the car still does the same thing

Old 10-18-2024 | 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

Can you check for codes?
Do you have spark?
Do you have fuel?
From the description I would lean towards a fuel pump? Good idea to change the fuel filter and report back how bad it was?
Can you measure the fuel pressure?

Old 10-18-2024 | 09:54 AM

You would only want to use a special spray cleaner that is formulated for that MAF sensor As for the starting, I would highly recommend putting that battery under charge before cranking the engine again. These Jaguar X350s are extremely finicky when it comes to starting the engine. If the battery voltage should dip below 11.5 VDC while cranking the engine, that engine just will not fire up. Trust me.

Old 10-18-2024 | 10:30 AM

You will get better exposure to your question if you post in the correct forum section.

This the section for the 'big-aluminum car' sedan X350.

Old 10-18-2024 | 10:52 AM
|

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Can you check for codes?
Do you have spark?
Do you have fuel?
From the description I would lean towards a fuel pump? Good idea to change the fuel filter and report back how bad it was?
Can you measure the fuel pressure?
I took the old filter off yesterday and I’m gonna get a new one today. Does seem to be considerable resistance when you blow through it. But I’m gonna put that back in today and see what happens.
I had run codes earlier and it didn’t show anything. I can’t measure the fuel pressure since I can’t get it started and it doesn’t look like it was getting fuel so I’m hoping it restriction in the fuel filter or if it is a fuel pump that’s a pain in the *** to take out which I’ve read.

Old Yesterday | 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Fuel pump is electric so you must have pressure with the engine off or it won't start? Can you hear it run with the key on before you attempt to crank the engine?

Jaguar went back and forth BUT I think you have a place to measure the fuel pressure? It's mounted on the fuel rail and try the passenger side of the engine at the rear to find the test port. Even if you don't have a gauge it's like a tire valve so if you depress the center stem fuel should shoot out if you have pressure.

Since it does start for a bit and then dies you have spark and this does point towards a fuel problem.
One last thing? If you think the car is getting too much fuel when you attempt to start it. Try holding the gas pedal to the floor when cranking. This shuts off the fuel injectors and will allow the engine to clear the excess fuel out IF that's the problem? Just something simple to try?

Last edited by clubairth1; Yesterday at 10:08 AM.
Old Yesterday | 12:02 PM

Can a MOD move this thread to the X308 section?????????????????????

Old Yesterday | 07:11 PM
|

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Fuel pump is electric so you must have pressure with the engine off or it won't start? Can you hear it run with the key on before you attempt to crank the engine?

Jaguar went back and forth BUT I think you have a place to measure the fuel pressure? It's mounted on the fuel rail and try the passenger side of the engine at the rear to find the test port. Even if you don't have a gauge it's like a tire valve so if you depress the center stem fuel should shoot out if you have pressure.

Since it does start for a bit and then dies you have spark and this does point towards a fuel problem.
One last thing? If you think the car is getting too much fuel when you attempt to start it. Try holding the gas pedal to the floor when cranking. This shuts off the fuel injectors and will allow the engine to clear the excess fuel out IF that's the problem? Just something simple to try?
well, I it’s more testing this morning and I’m getting power all the way to the pump but I’m not hearing anything so I’m gonna pull the pump because it seems to be pointing to that in everything I do. Will keep you posted once I get done if that hopefully fixes it. thanks.