XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 Jaguar XJ8 buying opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 09:17 PM
Received 243 Likes on 146 Posts
Default 2004 Jaguar XJ8 buying opinions

So we have been shopping for another x350/x358 with lower mileage than the one we currently have (its at 80,000). Ideally an 08 or so with 50,000 or under, which seems like they run in the 15,000 dollar range. We plan on keeping the one we have. It's been an awesome and utterly reliable car.

Now for the kicker. We have an opportunity to buy a 2004 XJ8 with 120,000 miles for a decent price. Still gathering maintenance history, but I'm assuming at this point theres not a whole lot on paper. The seller has owned it for a year or more. Right after they bought it the transmission needed replaced (clunking and a fault message). A transmission specialty shop replaced it with a used 70,000 mile tranny. Along with the trans, the starter motor, MAF sensor, and battery were replaced. Ever since the trans was installed, it has had an intermittent (from the seller, barely perceptible) surging issue while warming up and driving it. The seller says they have driven the car regularly regardless. No other known issues, they said no malfunction lights and the suspension is good. The car itself looks like it's in good shape inside and out for the mileage.

After doing some forum reading, it sounds as if a TCM/ECM reflash from the dealer might clear it up. The seller doesn't know whether that was done after, so it leads me to believe it wasn't. I'm assuming the correct fluid was put in the trans, but then again, it doesn't sound like the reflash was done, so...

If I were to tackle such a project, it seems the correct protocol would be to:

Check/change coils and spark plugs, as they probably need changed anyways and it would rule out something basic
Change trans fluid, along with a couple internal parts, replacing the pan at the same time
If the above doesn't clear up the problem, reflash the ECM/TCM

This would give me the excuse to buy the laptop/IDS and the Mongoose Pro. After all, owning two x350's, you never know when you'll need it.

I'd plan on tearing out the air suspension and replacing with coilovers.
This would be a dedicated work vehicle, so I may tear out the back seat and modify it, too.

I should be able to pick the car up for around 3000 dollars. I figure for the little I'd pay for the car it'd cushion any repairs that may need to happen down the road. I do a lot of the work myself, unless I need something major like a trans/engine swap. The car is a good distance away, otherwise I'd go look at it now.

I understand everyone would probably do something different, but I'd like to hear some opinions, just to make sure I'm not crazy...or to verify that I am.

Last edited by chillyphilly; 11-04-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:34 AM
Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

Are you going to keep your existing car?

Old 11-07-2016, 08:42 AM

That's a definate on keeping the existing car.

There's so many cool deals out there when you look around. Found a 2002 XJ in a beautiful color with 59000 miles for $4200. It's in better shape than my 04. I think I'd rather stick with the x350 platform though, just more familiar with it, and dare I say, possibly more reliable.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts
Old 11-07-2016, 11:18 AM

I'm not much of an X Type fan. Practicality wise it makes way more sense, but I usually don't do things the easy way or do things that make sense (so says my wife). I guess if I were going for completely practical I'd buy a small truck or wagon, but what fun is that?

On a side note, I rented a GMC pickup yesterday from Uhaul, and I couldn't believe how poor it was. I get that it's a stripped down fleet vehicle, but I thought my fillings were going to get rattled right out of my teeth it rode so rough. Not to mention it was gutless, void of any appealing design, and the transmission was jerky despite trying to drive it smooth. It's hard to even look at driving anything else after owning an XJ. I guess I'm getting old.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,258 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Trying to think worst case here. It sounds like resale isn't a concern and if your removing the back seat, you don't have a concern about how it looks.

Gutting the air ride for coilers $3k _DIY maybe $1200.
Trans reflash - not sure what the mongoose Pro cost but the hacked software seems to be an absolute nightmare. Buy an OEM from Cambo - Let's say $1k which I think is his eBay price but you may do better.
Reflash will then be just your effort. And then the fluid/ pan replacement. Let's assume you go OEM fluid as you have a reflash problem and don't want to add risk to the system by moving over to Mercon fluid, at least initially, and do it all yourself - $350.

So you've removed the air suspension risk/reward.
Suspension bushings is the other major financial drain on these cars. Age will wear on the suspension but 120k miles pretty much guarantees you'll need to replace most if not all suspension bushes, links, tie rods (inner and outer) control arms, etc... Add $2k for giggles.

I think safely add $4 -$5K to do get it up to par.

If it's me, and it isn't, I want to air ride and want 100% OEM and all service records. I would have every bushing checked for wear and deduct the cost of replacing the worn parts from my offer.

Service records or lack thereof are a deal breaker for me but you seem a bit more adventurous.

Color me intrigued. I'd wait for better condition as either way your going to spend the money.

FYI, no affiliation
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...856312855.html

Last edited by Sean W; 11-07-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:43 PM

Good assessment, thank you. I'm in the process of buying one of Cambo's already. I figure it'd be good to have it for one Jaguar, even better for two. So I don't nessessarily factor that into the cost as I had planned on getting something anyways.

If I strip the air suspension and it's all good, I imagine I can sell it and get 500-600 for it. Re-coup some of the cost.

Coilovers=1200-ish minus 500=700
Coils/plugs=400-ish
Trans flush=400-ish

I've thought about suspension bushings needing replaced. That would definately up the cost a bit. I'm still on the fence about it, with the trans quirks and all. Plus after fixing it up, you still end up having a Jaguar with, well, 120,000 miles. But still cheaper than others.

I've bought salvage title in the past, and it was fine, but the almost new car I bought went through some $$. It's not really fair to attribute it to the salvage aspect, as I think the car would've needed the parts anyways. I have a difficult time buying salvage or rebuilt with the history. Re-selling, if that does happen, makes it unnecessarily harder. Plus, in my mind, a salvage title car is worth no more than 1/2 the price of fair market value of a similar one with a clean title (ie clean title car would be 15,000....same car with salvage title would be worth 7,500). That being said, that one you posted doesn't look bad. I think a clean title of the same car would be around 12000-15000, so a salvage I'd consider at half that.

Here are some I had checked on craigslist. This one is similar to yours...original Florida car, salvage title from front end damage, 40,000 miles, 2007 for 13,000.

https://billings.craigslist.org/cto/5807088361.html

This one just popped up, a clean title 04 with 37000 original miles, for 12000. It's a VDP but funny enough doesn't seem to have many options. Unfortunately I don't think that one will last long. If it were a few years newer I'd probably nab it up.

https://bend.craigslist.org/cto/5864282099.html

And last of all here's the 02 with 59000 miles for 4200. I don't think I want that body style, but it does have all the maintenance records.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5864721786.html

Anyways, it's fun to look around. There's lots to be had out there.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

sorry my bad, I missed the rebuilt title. The link I sent you is priced too high for a salvage imo, as you point out you can get a clean one for $15k.

Good call on the OEM buy from Cambo. I have both the OEM from him and the autoenginuity unit.

Both similar but I prefer the OEM VCM on my XK.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Default Here's an 04 that might meet your needs

not an 08 but compared to the one you listed above?

2004 Jaguar XJ8

Old 11-09-2016, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the link...so far away. Looks like a decent buy though.

Good to hear you like the VCM. Was considering the Mongoose but I didn't realize the VCM was better with many of the other Jaguar models. It's nice to have options and be able to tinker with the others as well.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:46 PM
Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

With what you said about your interest in the 04, with that much already going wrong and with the mileage, I would run----not walk away from it at any price. Since the Trans was replaced with a used one already and it giving trouble, your just looking at ---as they say in the boat world---a hole in the water to pour money into-------

Just MHO

Cheers

Old 11-11-2016, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Chuck Schexnayder
With what you said about your interest in the 04, with that much already going wrong and with the mileage, I would run----not walk away from it at any price. Since the Trans was replaced with a used one already and it giving trouble, your just looking at ---as they say in the boat world---a hole in the water to pour money into-------

Just MHO

Cheers
My wife and I are avid golfers. She sucks at it more than me. She used to favor the Titleist Pro V1 which is about the most expensive golf ball you can buy. It didn't matter that the ball wasn't suited for her game. And by not suited, i men not even remotely. In the 25 years we've been golfing, I think her best round was a 100 and I'm not sure, but we may have only played 16 holes that day. We're talking normally 110.

She could tee up a ball with nothing in front of her but green grass and a lake behind her. The ball would find the lake.

We got to a point where this was becoming annoying to me because she's use terms like "Lucky ball" "Lucky tee" and other assorted nonsense, while she would work her way through 4 dozen of them a season.

So one day, on the 12 hole of our course, she was 5 feet in front of a pond, 150 yards from the hole. Yep, another worm burner, right into the lake. Smack Splash!

At this point I took out a $5 bill, showed it to her, wadded it up and threw it the pond. That was 10 years ago.

Yes I got the evil eye. Yes we're still happily married. Yes, all of her golf ***** still end up in the woods or the water. But their all Bridgestone golf *****, sometimes less than 1/2 the cost of the Pro V golf *****.

There is no judgement of the OP's original post here. Chuck's comment just reminded me of my wife's amazing ability to throw good money after bad. But then, what do I know? I own a Jaguar.

PS she has no access or interest in this forum so I'm safe.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:17 PM

Haha thanks for the story Sean. I played golf once, about ten years ago. I spent more time chasing the ball around the green (and woods) than getting it to where it was supposed to be. Plus, it was in the boiling hot August heat in south Georgia, so that made it even worse. I've never had the desire to play again after that. I have heard you can throw some money at the game though. On a side note, I recently picked up a name brand chop saw, grinder, sander, etc all from a golf enthusiast used to modify clubs....all the equipment barely used, and I got it for free. It just reminded me how much people can throw into sports and not get back. That's not to mention the good times and experiences had by it, which you can't put a price on. That's really what it's for in the end anyways.

Ofcourse, I'm not one to talk either. I love cycling, and you can really blow money on that, too. I picked up a recumbent trike a few months ago because I've wanted one for several years. After a couple months of riding I decided I was done with it and think I'm going to sell it. I got a good roll eyes from my wife on that one.

Thanks for the input Chuck. When I read your post about the hole in the water to pour money into, I immediately thought, "Well, I bought a Jaguar already so too late on that one." To be fair, our x350 has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. In the last two years of ownership, besides routine maintenance, the only thing that has really gone wrong is the trunk actuator, which I still haven't replaced because I just use the key for the trunk to open it. That's the only reason I've considered buying a Jaguar that may have some issues....but that may take my good Jaguar experience straight to a sour one.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:54 AM
Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

chilly---
There's nothing "sour" about owning a Jaguar, no other car can compare. If your mechanically inclined, Jaguars are as easy to work on as any other car. That is up until maybe 2010.

After that, I'm afraid that Jaguar is falling in line with the "hurry and get one out that does the same thing" syndrome other makes are doing. I'm just surprised that they haven't come out with one of the "GUPPY" mouth versions others have copied. Look at the front end of the Lexus to see what I mean by "Guppy" mouth---and others with the same look--not to insult the Lexus owners.

Now everyone is trying to make cars that drive themselves. Who wants a car that drives its self. I want to control what I drive and the pleasure of and sense of pride when I drive. The drive "themselves" are what little old ladies and men might want, but not me.
I'm a month away from 82 and I still want to control what I drive, be it a lawnmower or car.

Any way Chilly, There are many Jags out there in the range and area your looking at, that are in top shape and I just feel that if you buy one that has no issues--or maybe "small" issues---tires etc. you'll be a lot happier down the road. I wanted a second Jaguar a while back and it took me a while to find one I could drive and not work on for months. I found one two years ago with a brake lite issue, replace the switch and have a beautiful XK8 Convertible I love and drive all the time. That might be an idea for you. Look for another style Jag.

Cheers and good luck.........Chuck

Old 11-12-2016, 09:30 PM

Chuck, I can agree on the stying of new cars, particularly those made by Lexus. In my opinion they are quite goofy looking. I used to keep up with cars a lot more and knew what was hot and what wasn't. They all seem to blend together anymore. I leave it up to my five year old to let me know what's in and what's not. Her latest was when she called a BMW i "funny looking." Now you know when you can't even pass off the styling of a car to a five year old, you're not fooling anyone and should probably look into a redesign. She's had a handful over the last few months she coined as "funny" or "silly" looking...those are the ones I will steer clear of buying.

When it comes time to car shopping, we usually look quite a bit. Our x350 took us 6 months to find, though funny enough, originally started out as searching for an Audi. Sure glad we didn't go that route.

On another note, those XK's sure are nice looking. They would be my top pick as far as style goes, though I'm afraid I may not be able to fit the work equipment in very well. Heck, even the S Types aren't too bad for a DD that I wouldn't feel bad about beating on. I was originally trying to stick with the x350's as I thought they were one of the more reliable Jaguars around...

Originally Posted by viper1996
Viper1996, you have any firsthand experience with an X Type? Reliability wise, how good are they for a daily driver?

Last edited by chillyphilly; 11-12-2016 at 11:10 PM.