XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 jaguar XJR Gearbox Fault

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 02:34 AM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm no expert on the gearbox, so take this with a grain of salt. Several members have reported the shifter cable getting loose.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...=stuck+reverse

Old 01-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

d17kng, how many miles are on your jag? Sounds a lot like the problem I had. Hopefully its just the shifter cable

Old 01-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I went to rebuild my transmission back a while ago, i remember the mechanic telling me it was a mechanical fault. There wasn't enough pressure or something along those lines, for the transmission to shift, so it would just cause the car to rev up in gear no matter how high the revs climbed.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The car would not start if that was the case. Like if it were stuck in reverse or drive. The way you would know if the cable is out of place, or the bolt came off the shifter cable bracket on the trans is to put the key to position 2. The knob will physically be in the park postion, but the red light on the J-gate where the PRNDL123 symbols are will be lit in some other postion like R or D. This is usually accompanied with a nostart condtion.

Originally Posted by veffremov
I'm no expert on the gearbox, so take this with a grain of salt. Several members have reported the shifter cable getting loose.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...=stuck+reverse

Old 02-11-2011, 05:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default XJ8 Gearbox Fault Madness !!!

Hello,
I was also stricken with the "Gearbox Fault" message. Slipping, jerking, lurching. Took it to the dealer who told me the entire transmission needed to be replaced at a cost of $9,000 USD for a new one, or approx. $4,500 USD for a used one.

Two questions...
He said they can NOT fix what is wrong with my current transmission. Is that correct? Can you not fix anything on the XJ8 tranny? If something goes wrong, is the only option to chuck it and get a new one?

And two, why do these go bad after only 6 years?

Sooo disappointed. Thanks.

Mark
Columbus, Ohio, USA

Old 02-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I have heard that SOP at Jag dealers is not to repair transmissions, only replace them. So the big question is how did the dealer come buy a used xmission? 5 or 6Gs for an exchange is not a bad price from a dealer if you get a proper warranty.

If you need to save a few bucks and want to keep your original xmission- there are a few good indie Jag repair shops in Ohio. Find one and go from there.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

If you are really thinking about dropping $6-9Gs on a car on a car that is probably worth about $15-17k I think you need to get your head checked!

If that happened to me I would just trade it in and get something else.

Isn't this ZF transmission the same one that's on the Hyundai Genesis Sedan 4.6? I wonder if it's cheaper from Hyundai.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Default Shocking Resolution to Gear Box Fault

A Happy Ending...
After getting the "Gear Box Fault" message in my '04 XJ-8, I took the car to Byers Imports in Columbus, Ohio, who told me my transmission was shot and that the only thing I could do was replace it. They said they could install a new one for $9,000 US. OR, if they were lucky, they could probably get a salvaged tranny for about $4,200. I said no thank you and picked up my car not knowing what to do.

Out of the clear blue, a friend said take it to the is guy at Evans Automotive and let them look at it. I did and a miracle happened, they actually LOOKED at the transmission with their eyes and not just the computer and spotted a severe transmission fluid leak due to, they explained, a warped transmission fluid pan (it's made of hard plastic) and that it probably had been laeking for a long time because I was four quarts low. Of course it wouldn't run right.

They put a new pan on, serviced the transmission for a total of $784 and it runs better than the day I bought it!! The kitty is purring.

INCREDIBLE. I am so grateful to Evans Automotive and so angry with Byers, a Jaguar dealership, who blatantly tried to screw me. I am going to get them to refund the $120 they charged me to misdiagnose my car.

So next time you get the GEAR FAULT error, DON'T GIVE UP!!! There is at least an outside chance that you're just a few quarts low.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:45 PM
DB6
ud
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

"They were the only ones that looked at it"? MH hopkins?..sounds like a bogus listing and ad for a shop.
I saw your 2 chats before seems odd,.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:39 AM

Not sure what you're implying DB6. My post was an accurate representation of my experience. Take it or leave it. I have no business interest in either of these shops.

One of them failed me - and either through incompetence or questionable business practices - tried to take advantage of me. The other one came through in a big way with a diagnosis and solution I haven't seen posted ANYWHERE!!! I think everyone could benefit from that.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Positive, recommended jag dealers and independent shops can also be listed in the regional areas in our forums. Its a good resource for new members with new car purchases.

Please consider any accusations tossed around these parts...we are watching. Thread apperas ligit, and i can spot false information almost immediately...i think i'm psychic.

The following users liked this post:
mhopkins (02-27-2011)
Old 02-24-2011, 02:21 AM
DB6
ud
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Yeah me to

Originally Posted by h20boy
Positive, recommended jag dealers and independent shops can also be listed in the regional areas in our forums. Its a good resource for new members with new car purchases.

Please consider any accusations tossed around these parts...we are watching. Thread apperas ligit, and i can spot false information almost immediately...i think i'm psychic.
still smells to me.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reply to fila0220

my jaguar has done about 65,000 miles

Old 02-27-2011, 09:32 PM

I recently purchased a 2004 XJR with only 40k miles. Today I changed the oil for the first time and after driving the car in traffic I noticed a ticking sound when in gear and stopped, any gear. By the time I got home the noise was gone. I went to check the gear box fluid only to learn that there is no dip stick like the typical car only a suggested flush after 60k miles or so. I'm not at that point yet but may change out the fluid anyway. Any suggestions?

Old 03-12-2012, 01:37 PM

Hey guy's i'm new to the blog site so bear with me.I'm a transmission rebuilder,been doing it for 26 years,and know my way around a zf5 but these zf6's are omething else mechanicaly they're fairly simple but technically they're a nightmare. Right now i'm working on a 04 xj8 with a zf6 and with 4th gear problems now what i've seen is the stator bushing on the back side of the pump wears cauing a loss of pressure to the E clutch and smokes it but after a full boat rebuild i'm also having a 1-2 bump that will not go away. My clearances are all good so does the t.c.m. need a reflash after the build or am i barking up the wrong tree?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

A lot of the problems with "hard" changes, (bumps as you put it), and other issues with this box are caused by software. In my case a reflash cured a hard 2-3 change last year. Mileage was around 50k at that point.

From what I can see, the gearbox wears slightly from new as would be normal, and at some point this causes the bump when changing. The TCM watchdog checks gear changes and will flag up a fault if pressures are found to be over, (or under), limits.
Other problems found are "hunting" on warm-up. Again, I had this cured last year by a reflash. This latter problem needs car to be cold to correct with software.

Hope this helps

Old 03-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by racerbake
Hey guy's i'm new to the blog site so bear with me.I'm a transmission rebuilder,been doing it for 26 years,and know my way around a zf5 but these zf6's are omething else mechanicaly they're fairly simple but technically they're a nightmare. Right now i'm working on a 04 xj8 with a zf6 and with 4th gear problems now what i've seen is the stator bushing on the back side of the pump wears cauing a loss of pressure to the E clutch and smokes it but after a full boat rebuild i'm also having a 1-2 bump that will not go away. My clearances are all good so does the t.c.m. need a reflash after the build or am i barking up the wrong tree?
You may be the only rebuilder on this site, so finding help could be iffy. That being said, a potential cause of your problem may not be the tranny but a leak in the intake snorkel after the MAF. This will cause miscalculation of engine load to be misinterpreted and cause a rough shift up or down at moderate throttle. This is right out of the ZF 6HP26 technical manual, page 55.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/24267127/A...6hp26%E2%80%9D

Old 06-06-2012, 11:32 AM

oldmots do you know that info you you pasted a shortcut to is copyrighted and not yours to be posting around for free

Old 06-06-2012, 11:43 AM

privately email me and i'll send you the ZF diagnostics guide, it's a mine of information