XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 mp3 capable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2004 mp3 capable?

Hi, first posting on this site. So to begin, let me say thanks for such an excellent resource. I'm just in the process of buying a 2004 XJ8 which I plan to use for cross country pleasure / business trips. Because I like to listen to audio books (which I've generally obtained as mp3 disc format) I am concerned that by purchasing this car I will face some challenges in being able to listen to these audio books. My other car is a later model with built in mp3 capability, so I've had no difficulty in this regard.

I thought perhaps someone here might offer suggestions as to the best way to be able to use my library of mp3 discs in my new 2004 Jag. I really don't want to try to download / upload everything to an ipod. I certainly don't want to rip out the beautiful OEM audio system in the car as this would be like butchering a beautiful woman's face. I'd rather just find a way to use the discs but without destroying the aesthetics of my car's interior. Maybe I should hide an aftermarket mp3 disc player somewhere in the cabin? Other ideas? I'm open to all suggestions. Again, thanks!

Old 02-26-2013, 12:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

The most 'streamlined' and plug-n-play route will the jaguar Audio Connectivity Module. It allows you to have an Ipod connector, or a USB port. I've found the cheapest way to benefit from that port is a SD card adapter and a 16GB card inside. It loads in about 3-4 seconds, and remembers where I left off.

You can find the ACM for about $350...shop around, I think I got mine after finding a dealer in Ohio ...about $100 less than all other dealers. It comes with install instructions, so it is definitely a DIY project. While you're at it, look at getting the phone module and bluetooth module (w/ a mic) for total hands free chatting while driving. If the mic is already there near the overhead console, that car will have the phone module, but might not have the bluetooth.

good luck, googling 'jaguar ACM and jaguarforums.com' will get you the guides and part numbers you need.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Acm

$295 from Momentum Jaguar in Houston last November.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Veteran member

That's a good price, I just checked Gaudin's website, and they have it listed for $461!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Default best place to hide mp3 disc player?

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Thing is though, my media is primarily based on mp3 discs. And I was hoping to keep being able to play mp3 discs. Guess it comes down to purchasing an aftermarket mp3 disc player and then figuring out where to set it up. The obvious choice, I suppose, is the trunk. But I wonder if the center console or glove box would work. I suppose I'll just have to figure it out.

Again, thanks...

Old 02-27-2013, 02:30 AM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Strangely enough I had an mp3 track on an otherwise .wav CDR and I was surprised that it would play that track. It was burnt on Nero. I haven't tried a completely MP3 disc yet though.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Veteran member

I'm confused, you'd rather have an MP3 disc with a limited number of songs permitted on a 700MB disc, plus the associated longer player read times, and you'd rather install an aftermarket head player instead of putting every single MP3 song you own on a disc or thumbdrive the size of a quarter, and utilize a single electrical component that integrates perfectly with your factory deck and sound system? You do realize, you can copy MP3 from disc to drive/SD card, right?

Old 02-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Default Jaguar audio connectivity unit?

So I called the Jaguar dealer in Arizona where the car will end up being garaged to ask about this item. The service guy who calls me back says "oh yeah, those are no longer available, sorry". I'm thinking WTF! So short of ripping out my OEM head unit to throw in some ugly after market POS, I have no options to incorporate mp3 into a 2004 XJ8. I'm confident you folks will assure me that this CANNOT be the case. Even if Jaguar has decided to discontinue their solution (hard to believe!), there has to be an aftermarket solution that will at least permit me to connect my iPhone to the car's audio system. Right?

<color me DEEPLY frustrated>

Old 02-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Smile news to me

Originally Posted by H20boy
I'm confused, you'd rather have an MP3 disc with a limited number of songs permitted on a 700MB disc, plus the associated longer player read times, and you'd rather install an aftermarket head player instead of putting every single MP3 song you own on a disc or thumbdrive the size of a quarter, and utilize a single electrical component that integrates perfectly with your factory deck and sound system? You do realize, you can copy MP3 from disc to drive/SD card, right?

Actually....no. As retarded as this makes me sound, I did not realize that I could do this. Truth is, I still don't know how this could be accomplished though I am truly intrigued to find out.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:45 PM
Veteran member

It appears, stock is temporarily delayed due to production...check out this thread.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-module-89934/

They mention a dealer having one in stock in a post half-way down. Otherwise, you may be calling around or waiting until April if you want one. I'd call the dealer he listed.

As for the mp3 to SD card, no problem there. Get your ACM installed, and I'll walk you through it over the phone

Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's what I ended up doing:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...61/#post649711

klfong:
Strangely enough I had an mp3 track on an otherwise .wav CDR and I was surprised that it would play that track. It was burnt on Nero. I haven't tried a completely MP3 disc yet though.
Whoa, so, what... our cars WILL play MP3 discs? I never bothered to try. This interests me because the audio quality would be a lot higher than running through an aux cable/bluetooth from a smartphone! I've got a CD changer and another CD drive in the dash, why not load it up with MP3's? And do the steering wheel controls work with it?

I think I will burn a disc today and experiment...

EDIT: Tried it, didn't work. First I tried it with the MP3 files in folders. Then I tried it by putting all the files flat in the root directory and removed all album art files. Tried it in both the head unit and the changer. It says 'playing' and ticks away seconds but there's no sound, and if you hit the 'next track' button it just restarts with the silent 'track 1' that never ends. Ah well...

Last edited by Anticitizen; 02-28-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:01 PM

Thanks everyone for the insightful suggestions and offers of assistance. Actually, the option that most interests me is the Jaguar ACM. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I can discern, this module precludes the necessity of tuning your stereo to a specific band and running the whole shebang through an FM frequency. I understand a lot of people like that option. I'm not one of those people. Really, what I want is an elegant, non-jury rigged OEM (as close to OEM) option as possible, and one that does not involve exposed wires, extra buttons and gizmos, plastic Jesus figurines glued to my dashboard, or giant satellite dishes stapled to my roof. If I can't do what I am trying to do in the absence of such schlock then I will bite the bullet and buy an '06 or newer XJ8 --- because from that year forward, the car appears to come standard with both bluetooth and mp3 "baked in" to the car.

You guys have quite a bit more brand-specific expertise than I do, obviously. Interested to hear feedback and/or corrections.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Veteran member

The ACM works the same in an 06 as it does in your current 04. Its a dealer add-on, it would be hit and miss finding one that has it already installed.

The package ACM bundle includes this module that gets plugged into the back of the head unit. There are other cables that get plugged into that module, and one cable is the ipod connector (seen here where my ashtray used to be)

the second cable goes to an RCA input 'box', and the other is a USB port. You can mount them anywhere you want, most do it in the center console, but since I have the rear A/C, my center console is only an inch deep, so I put mine in the glovebox...cables provided are long enough. Here is a pic of the USB and the RCA 'box'.

This is the SD card reader that i leave plugged into the USB port w/ a 16GB card...containing all 2000+ of my mp3s recorded at 320 kbps, the best quality for mp3.

The dealer will install this for you, but it will be pricey...expect that. Any competent audio installer could do this easily also, especially since its all plug n play OEM parts. I would guess $200 in labor from a local shop.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 mp3 capable?-p1458032474-4.jpg   2004 mp3 capable?-p1458032418-4.jpg   2004 mp3 capable?-p1458032166-4.jpg   2004 mp3 capable?-p1458032080-4.jpg  
Old 03-02-2013, 06:28 AM

H2Oboy, that looks nice.... so the ACM will decode the mp3's directly from the SD card?

Last edited by klfong; 03-02-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Anticitizen
Here's what I ended up doing:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...61/#post649711

klfong:

Whoa, so, what... our cars WILL play MP3 discs? I never bothered to try. This interests me because the audio quality would be a lot higher than running through an aux cable/bluetooth from a smartphone! I've got a CD changer and another CD drive in the dash, why not load it up with MP3's? And do the steering wheel controls work with it?

I think I will burn a disc today and experiment...

EDIT: Tried it, didn't work. First I tried it with the MP3 files in folders. Then I tried it by putting all the files flat in the root directory and removed all album art files. Tried it in both the head unit and the changer. It says 'playing' and ticks away seconds but there's no sound, and if you hit the 'next track' button it just restarts with the silent 'track 1' that never ends. Ah well...

Maybe you can try with one .wav at each end of the series of mp3s and see what happens. I also don't understand why the one track plays on mine.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by klfong
H2Oboy, that looks nice.... so the ACM will decode the mp3's directly from the SD card?
That is correct. When that button on the RCA box is depressed, the ACM is operational instead of the CD changer; the ACM simulates the 'cd changer', and looks just like the CD changer interface screen, except the Disc icons mean different functions for working the ACM, like disc 1, after selecting it, means 'folder selection' so you can go back and forward while on this disc. After a time lapse of about 5 seconds, it defaults back to disc 5 which means you can then select the next or previous track. The manual describes all of these and other Disc icon functions, and you get used to it after a week or so.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile 2004 xj8 ACM

I folks. I'm new at this. I have just bought a 2004 XJ8 VDP and have been reading the threads. I live in Vancouver BC and we have only two dealers who not very helpful. Could any one tell me where I might purchace on line, or from a Canada / US dealer the ACM for the fiber optics unit. I hate our local radio (push any button, they are all the same) and really want to use my 160gig ipod!!

Cheers

Old 03-20-2013, 01:38 AM
Veteran member

Sooty, did you at least get a quote from your local dealer on the ACM part? Shipping from US to Canada may be an issue for you up there. Remember reading above posts, supply of ACM units are limited and/or non-existent until April at least.

The following users liked this post:
sooty (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Mat,

Thanks for your reply. The unit sells for around $650cdn, and the good news is that one of the two dealers has come through!! The Dealer MCL Motor Cars in Vancouver is currently checking that it is in fact the correct unit for my car. This should not be too difficult as they sold the car when it was new, so they are searching the VIN # for full details of the car. At this point I owe a great deal of thanks to the parts guy, Chris Stenersen, for his patience and positive attitude.

The following users liked this post:
Technological (03-22-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Veteran member

good deal, and if you need a few parts down the road, don't hesitate to return the favor and give a little business to Chris for his efforts. repeat business is often all the thanks they need in the parts business.

Quick Reply: 2004 mp3 capable?