XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 X350 Air Compressor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 X350 Air Compressor Replacement

Hello All. I need help and I have looked at the other threads and they do not address my issue.

Background: for years I have periodically received the “Air Suspension Fault” message but it would go away. However, a few months ago the rear shocks went down and the message wouldn’t go away. It briefly flashed a “relay” message but I didn’t write that one down and it hasn’t appeared since. Within a couple of days the front went down also. I sent her to jaguar for diagnostics. The said, the following:

1. Air Compressor was putting out about a quarter of what it should so it needed replaced.
2. All Air Lines need replaced. (Which is odd as the car only has 90k on it.)
3. Rear Air Struts needed to be replaced.

There were a couple of other issues but not related to the suspension. All told over $10k in repairs. I had it delivered back to the house. I ordered all of the parts and started off with replacing the air compressor. I turn on the key, it works, then shuts off, comes back on a few times usually then I get the the “Air Suspension Fault” message. Nothing is filling or lifting I should say. Even if the rear shocks are leaking they should still come up with the new compressor I was thinking.

So what am I doing wrong? Is there something I should do to get it to lift the car?

Much thanks in advance.

Brian Williams

Old 07-02-2021, 06:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to get the codes read and post them on here, that will give us a start as to what to suggest you check first.

The following users liked this post:
Culturalfusion (07-06-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 09:21 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

You may need to drive the car slowly to get the pump to activate. But when I recently installed new Bilstein fronts, the directions said not to lower the car onto depressurized air springs.So FYI.

Try starting the car, apply parking brake and select neutral for a while. I was able to bring the pump on this way.
Oh!, I reread your post, and you do hear the pump running for a time. Not sure why its not developing airspring ride height.
Also curious of what kind of parts you have purchased.
The dealer quoted all that nonsense because they don't want to work on it unless they can make a killing . You may have to do all the troubleshooting to save your money. You will likely do a better job also. Bilsteins are $1k per corner and a good pump is $0.5 k. It takes some time to undo the suspension a bit. But you can follow posts online about how to do it .
Doing the pump first is a good idea.

Last edited by Tigre; 07-02-2021 at 09:29 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tigre:
Culturalfusion (07-06-2021), Jason. (07-02-2021), Xeno (08-25-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 03:10 PM

I will have to get a diagnostic tool and will get back with you. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2021, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Fitzy
You need to get the codes read and post them on here, that will give us a start as to what to suggest you check first.
I am currently looking at two scanners. The Foxwell and the iCarsoft. The iCarsoft specifically says that it allows suspension calibration. Which do you think i should get?

Old 07-10-2021, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tigre
You may need to drive the car slowly to get the pump to activate. But when I recently installed new Bilstein fronts, the directions said not to lower the car onto depressurized air springs.So FYI.

Try starting the car, apply parking brake and select neutral for a while. I was able to bring the pump on this way.
Oh!, I reread your post, and you do hear the pump running for a time. Not sure why its not developing airspring ride height.
Also curious of what kind of parts you have purchased.
The dealer quoted all that nonsense because they don't want to work on it unless they can make a killing . You may have to do all the troubleshooting to save your money. You will likely do a better job also. Bilsteins are $1k per corner and a good pump is $0.5 k. It takes some time to undo the suspension a bit. But you can follow posts online about how to do it .
Doing the pump first is a good idea.

I ordered a new pump from eBay. $250. I think the shocks are Arnott but I haven’t replaced them yet. Did you see my post about buying a obdii jaguar 🐆 scanner? Which would you get? Thanks.

Old 07-12-2021, 12:18 AM
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I would look closely at the rear shocks for leakage or fluid down the shock. One bad rear shock and the rest will lower to level itself. If the compressor runs but not putting out enough air, it can usually be fixed with bagpipeandy's compressor rebuild kit. The scenario with age typically starts with a leaky shock causing the compressor to run more frequently. A shock can have a slow leak for a long time until the compressor can no longer supply enough air and if not fixed, will constantly time out the compressor resulting in errors or eventually burn the pump up. Haven't heard too many having line problems and would have asked the dealer to show you where the lines were leaking. I bet the answer you'd get is that they are old - meaning "we can't show you" but trust us.

Old 07-13-2021, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

The air suspension most likely is shot on your car.
The compressor, & shocks are really wear parts.
Also many other various front,& rear suspension components.
Part of catching an expensive car, up on its way past due maintenance.
Much like oil, tires, & brakes, great cars when they are squared away.

Old 07-14-2021, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Wingrider
The air suspension most likely is shot on your car.
The compressor, & shocks are really wear parts.
Also many other various front,& rear suspension components.
Part of catching an expensive car, up on its way past due maintenance.
Much like oil, tires, & brakes, great cars when they are squared away.
Hey Wingrider,

Yeah, I know that i have had her for a long time. She was well maintained up to a few years ago when I tarped her and put her in the garage. I brought her out a year ago, bought a new battery, and she was fine until recently. I replaced the air compressor. Prior to storage I was occasionally getting the Air Suspension Fault message then it would go away. The car would stay up so I figured the rear shocks were leaking as the front ones are new.

Anyhow, Once I replaced the air compressor it comes on and tries to air up the shocks but to no avail then I get the air suspension fault. I do keep my cars maintained. I am not new to this or to Jaguars. I had another account that I was on for years on here but I couldn’t get logged in so I created this one to ask if there was a trick to getting it to air back up after I replaced the air compressor basically.

Might you have any info regarding this original question?

Last edited by Culturalfusion; 07-14-2021 at 04:15 AM.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:26 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you try driving it? I went through this recently and the pump is what really solved the problem. I do have fresh Bilstein's all around so that is not an issue. Try slowly driving the car the neighborhood and see if that finally raises the car. I think you have to go faster than 25mph or something close to that.
You have listened for leaks at the shocks as well, just to see if there is major leak?

Old 07-14-2021, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

Not trying to avoid your question about info, but your initial post indicated that this was an ongoing issue.

Background: for years I have periodically received the “Air Suspension Fault”

What was your response? Replacing just some of the faulty parts

Sounds like replacing all your worn out parts to me, sorry

That is what i did on both of mine

Old 07-14-2021, 06:59 PM

Not trying to avoid your question about info, but your initial post indicated that this was an ongoing issue.

Background: for years I have periodically received the “Air Suspension Fault”

What was your response? Replacing just some of the faulty parts

Sounds like replacing all your worn out parts to me, sorry

That is what i did on both of mine

I’m sorry, I probably didn’t frame that entirely accurately. It would occasionally come on. Maybe 4 times a year. I had my mechanic go over it with a fine tooth comb and he said nothing was wrong with it. It wasn’t until I took it to Jaguar a few months ago that they said that the air compressor needed to be replaced. And that I had a slow leak in my rear shocks. I am now learning that the jaguar ECM looks and sees that the rear, in the case, was down so it lowered the front ones too. I replaced the air compressor with a new one. It comes on, then goes off, does this about 4 times then I get the Air Suspension Fault message. The shocks aren’t raising. Even if it has a leak in the rear they still should raise.

Following the repair manual is what I have done so far and it says do not drive it. At the same time it says to drive it over 25 mph for a bit. So it’s a bit contradictory. So I am ordering a diagnostic tool to be able to set the suspension manually back to where it should be, clear codes, etc…. I am hoping that get’s it to raise at least. I have new arnotts for it but that is way above my head so I will have to find a mechanic to replace those. Front shocks are practically new. If I had driven it more instead of sticking her in the garage for a couple of years I would have gotten his taken care of sooner. UGH

Old 07-15-2021, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member

Could be that the air bag, (a big balloon after all) has a BAD leak.

That's just TOO big to overcome and fill.

You could try capping the air lines to the rear shocks.

You could to see if the rest of the system is holding air.

Old 07-15-2021, 01:22 PM

That is an excellent idea. I will give that a try. I hear it airing up the reservoir so I will cap it off from the trunk. Thanks!!!!

Old 07-19-2021, 07:57 PM

Could be that the air bag, (a big balloon after all) has a BAD leak.

That's just TOO big to overcome and fill.

You could try capping the air lines to the rear shocks.

You could to see if the rest of the system is holding air.

You were absolutely right! I just finished replacing the rear shocks and she aired up and is now at stance. Rides great!!

Old 07-19-2021, 07:59 PM

Thank you all for your advice. After replacing the air compressor I moved onto replacing the rear shocks. She is now at stance and the system is working great. The right rear shock was visibly in horrid condition.

Much Thanks,
Brian.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:50 AM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Instead of getting one of those super-expensive readers, I'd get a bluetooth OBD2 scanner like
this one this one
for $12, then install a free cell phone app (search for OBD2 scanner) that connects to the scanner. It will be just as good or better. No need to buy another computer and screen and keyboard when your cell phone has all those things.

Old 08-26-2021, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

Except that a non expensive bluetooth obd2 scanner will do nothing concerning the suspension system.
For that you need an icarsoft or alike, or the SDD.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by paydase
Except that a non expensive bluetooth obd2 scanner will do nothing concerning the suspension system.
I bought the iCarsoft V3.0 off of amazon and did the software update. It does diagnostics and I can clear codes but when I go into service it will not allow me to do anything.

Do you know of one that will?? Thanks.

Old 08-27-2021, 02:24 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by paydase
Oh. Thanks. I just tried my bluetooth scanner, & found it won't read C codes.
What's an SDD?

Quick Reply: 2004 X350 Air Compressor Replacement