XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJ White Exhaust Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 XJ White Exhaust Smoke

I just experienced white smoke/vapor coming from exhaust leaving liquid in exhaust pipes. Punched the pedal last week and a ton of smoke came out. Now just a small amount when car warms up. Only 29K miles and well taken care of. My fear is expensive head gasket repair . Last all fluids are at normal level and no heating issues BUT have not driven car since this happened.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

White smoke is an indication of water in the system. If you are not losing it from the coolant system then it might be in the exhaust system. Also I see that you are new to the forum.

Hello and welcome to jaguarforums.com. I know that you are anxious to get started and we are anxious to meet you and talk about your car. We have a baseline / criteria that must be met before full access can be granted. Please enjoy the forum and be patient once the baseline has been satisfied full access will be granted. Please continue to post and accept my welcome to the forum.

Oh one other thing you need to put your car details in your signature. I am speaking of the Year, Make & Model. Without it you may not get the input you are looking for.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules.

Be patient and enjoy the site.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Quite so, white 'smoke' or steam excessively in exhaust is classic symptom of water getting in the combustion chambers, usually by a break in the cyl. head gasket between combustion chamber and water jacket. Doing a compression test on each cylinder is the usual way of finding out which one. I wouldn't drive it like this, but if you already have, the coolant level will have fallen from what it was. It's not the worst job in the world to fix, but you need to be careful with an overhead cam engine to be sure the cam(s) timing is right upon reassy., otherwise BIG trouble is possible.
I hope it IS the cyl. head gasket, because if the block is cracked (which happened with my friend's BMW) it's a much more expensive job. Bite the bullet time...
Leedsman.

The following users liked this post:
plano joe (02-19-2011)
Old 02-14-2011, 06:52 PM

Thanks. Taking to shop tomorrow. Drove it home after big cloud of white smoke was seen. Been parked for two weeks since then. Started it today and let it run for just a few minutes and a small amount of white smoke then could see steam/ water vapor on rear bumper but smoke went away. All fluids full and oil clear. If it is a leak in a cylinder gasket I will repair and look to trade car. So sad because it is perfect and only 29K miles. Is this a problem other 2004 Jags have had??

Old 02-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't jump to conclusions about anything seriously wrong with your car.
First off I would suggest driving it some more to see if you are losing coolant. If you are not, then rest easy.
When it is cool outside there will be water vapor that comes out the exhaust, more so when the exhaust is cold.

Also sometimes the PCV system will allow a tiny bit of engine oil to get into your intake system. It is usually a light blue in color and occcurs if the engine has been babied for awhile and its gets wound up a bit under hard acceleration.

If you do find you are losing coolant a simple block test (detecting combustion gases in the coolant) can be performed. This is an inexpensive test.

Drive more and worry less.

The following 2 users liked this post by Frank M:
mr2timmy (12-13-2013), plano joe (02-19-2011)
Old 02-15-2011, 09:03 PM

Thanks! Took car to shop today to have it checked out. Will no tomorrow if anything serious. Hope you are right and comments make sense. Car is not driven much and until this happened I have not punched the pedal for a quick start. My wife followed me to shop about 10 miles away and did not see any white smoke. Temp. gauge normal, no warning messages and car ran as new. Love my Jag. but old memories of my 1980 keep coming back as this car was a disaster and always had issues!! I studied the reviews of later models like my 2004 XJ VP and all seemed to indicate a well made car. With only 29K pampered miles I was in shocked to see the white cloud of smoke/vapor coming out when I punched it for first time.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Your problem could be a leaky master brake cylendar sending brake fluid into the induction manufold. Check for minute losses of brake fluid.

plano joe (02-19-2011)
Old 02-17-2011, 06:51 PM

Thanks will pass along to shop before I pick up my car. GOOD News is no major issues with engine or compression found. Car checked out fine. Has a small amount of white smoke at start up then quickly goes away. Replacing the PCV and will have them look at master brake cylinder.
Finally a special thanks to all members who offered their advice! i will sleep better knowing I did not have anything major to repair!!!!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hey Joe, that's good news, been sitting here with my fingers crossed for the past few days.

I didn't post into your thread but all my petrol cars will show some white misting on a cold day, temp anywhere near 0 and it is certain.

If more severe, the hint about brake fluid is very valid, only a drop can cause clouds of white.

To be surer, why not have them analyse your exhaust gases, that would show anything untoward.

But if your garage is saying, no problems, then back to sweet dreams......

plano joe (02-19-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 03:45 AM

It sure is a lovely feeling to know there aren't thousands of dollars disappearing to have your car running properly again.
Leedsman.

plano joe (02-19-2011)
Old 02-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Default Problem discovered and corrected on white smoke

This is a FYI to all members on my issue with seeing a large puff of white smoke pouring from exhaust on a quick take off from stop sign. My beloved black beauty was driven home from shop tonight after a wash and wax at car wash. Here is what they found. I had a bad crankcase vent valve, $45.00 part. Oil was dripping from this plastic part and entering exhaust chamber. Total out the door cost was $114.00.
Over the years and cold temperatures will cause small hair line crack allowing a very small amount of oil to seep out into exhaust chamber.
Thinking about things like cracked head gaskets or worse this is a very big relief. Thanks again for all your suggestions and I hope this comes in handy for other members out there!!

Old 02-22-2011, 03:21 AM

Another one to add to the data bank here methinks. As Wallace might say to Gromit, "all's well that ends well lad".
Leedsman.

plano joe (02-22-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Kudos to you! Back on the road again!

Old 06-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the following on another post where the guy had the same problem but his happened just after he forgot to put his oil filler cap back on...

"I think I have had exactly the same thing happen to me today, and having looked around for the possible answer, and the strange coincidences of the same thing happening in the same way, I felt compelled to share my experience.

I too very stupidly forgot to put the oil filler cap on and went for about a 11 mile drive before accerlerating enthusiastically and had never seen to much smoke come out of the exhaust... Took it steady and no problem, arrived at my destination a further 4 miles on and check under the bonnet to see the oil cap was off.

It's back on now and still having issues with the smoke, I drove it around the block, so to speak, and will have to drive it back home later.

What are the chances myself and the OP have had the same problem with forgetting the oil cap, the smoke issue, AND both needing a PCV as a result...?

XJ8 X350 4.2 87k - engine sweet as and still is, no warning lights, oil seems to be fine. The only thing was noticed lumpy start this morning but likely due to oil cap being off..."

I think I shall look in to getting the PCV or cranckcase vent valve replaced to see if it cures it and will update when I get round to that!

Old 06-22-2017, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,217 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by plano joe
Thinking about things like cracked head gaskets or worse this is a very big relief.
Yep, I know the feeling. I get a pain between my ears and start thinking brain tumor. My wife gives me two aspirin and 30 minutes later, my headache's gone.

Frank M (10-15-2020)
Old 06-23-2017, 02:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would appear that the PCV is fine, but having left the oil cap off and driven it a few miles, it may well have upset the pressure... Having put the cap back on, and still a little bit of smoke for a few miles and upon startup too, it is absolutely fine now - nothing at all on startup or hard acceleration. Oh how happy am I, and will never make the mistake of leaving the oil cap off after - for once - trying to be clever and keeping the oil topped up!!!